RE: [SACC-L] Body Art, Modification, Ornamentation

  • Hare II, William E
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2011
      Hi,

      National Geographic had an online slide show of body art that I have
      used from time to time:

      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tattoos/

      Will

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2011
        Hi Tony,
        Here is an interesting title: Return of the Tribal--Piercing,
        Tattooing, Body Painting, Scarification by Rufus C. Camphausen ( Park
        Street Press, Rochester, Vermont 1997 ). The book is nicely illustrated
        with photos of 'primitive' vs. 'modern' forms of body art, etc.
        It's probably out-of-print, but maybe not--I'm sure a websearch
        will locate a copy. If not, I'll sell you my rare copy for only
        $15,000.
        Anyway, hope all is well. How was your recent trip to Haiti?
        Let's get together for some tea and crumpets.
        Regards,
        Barry

        Barry D. Kass
        www.imagesofanthropology.com
        bkass@...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2011
          Tony, check out the Winter 2001 issue of AnthroNotes on body art. http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html

          Also Lars Krutak, anthropologist, recently published Kalingo Tattoo: Ancient and Modern Expressions of the Tribal .

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2011
                I made detailed photos of Mel's back and arms at the Montreal SACC conference (2004?) and have them on my iPhoto file. I think it was before the legs were completed (and whatever other parts I don't know about :)
                Lloyd

                On May 4, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Mark Lewine wrote:

                > I strongly suggest that SACC scan Mel's tattoo, copyright and publish the picture...then Mel, write a cultural geo book with your pic on the cover and we can sell both!

              • alisonanthropology
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2011
                  Hi. I can't attest to the quality of either of these DVDs, but they made it onto my Amazon.com list last summer as possible options to add to my collection for classes.

                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BEE7EW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKDO7U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

                  Some of the National Geographic collections (which I think someone mentioned already) and Travel Channel ones may have useful ones too.

                  Best of luck,
                  Alison

                • alisonanthropology
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2011
                    By no means is that an endorsement for using Amazon.com. I just find the "wish list" so convenient, and too, as those interested will notice, not all the director/copyright holder etc. bibliographic detail is contained. Good luck finding what you're looking for.