Body Art, Modification, Ornamentation

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4 8:25 AM
      SACC-ers:

      I am looking for readings, monographs, and video for an undergraduate
      class related to cultural perspectives on body art, body modification,
      and body ornamentation.

      Any thoughts?

      Regards, Tony

      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

      Sussex County (NJ) Community College

      1 College Hill Rd.

      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...

      fonddesblancs2010@...

      SKYPE: anthonybalzano

      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

      Cell: 973-271-7680

    • Hare II, William E
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4 9:00 AM
        Hi,

        National Geographic had an online slide show of body art that I have
        used from time to time:

        http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tattoos/

        Will

        I am looking for readings, monographs, and video for an undergraduate
        class related to cultural perspectives on body art, body modification,
        and body ornamentation.

        Any thoughts?

        Regards, Tony

        Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

        Sussex County (NJ) Community College

        1 College Hill Rd.

        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@... <mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>

        fonddesblancs2010@... <mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>

        SKYPE: anthonybalzano

        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        Cell: 973-271-7680

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 9:00 AM
          Hi Tony,
          Here is an interesting title: Return of the Tribal--Piercing,
          Tattooing, Body Painting, Scarification by Rufus C. Camphausen ( Park
          Street Press, Rochester, Vermont 1997 ). The book is nicely illustrated
          with photos of 'primitive' vs. 'modern' forms of body art, etc.
          It's probably out-of-print, but maybe not--I'm sure a websearch
          will locate a copy. If not, I'll sell you my rare copy for only
          $15,000.
          Anyway, hope all is well. How was your recent trip to Haiti?
          Let's get together for some tea and crumpets.
          Regards,
          Barry

          Barry D. Kass
          www.imagesofanthropology.com
          bkass@...

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4 10:29 AM
            Tony, check out the Winter 2001 issue of AnthroNotes on body art. http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html

            Also Lars Krutak, anthropologist, recently published Kalingo Tattoo: Ancient and Modern Expressions of the Tribal .

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4 4:13 PM
                  I made detailed photos of Mel's back and arms at the Montreal SACC conference (2004?) and have them on my iPhoto file. I think it was before the legs were completed (and whatever other parts I don't know about :)
                  Lloyd

                  On May 4, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Mark Lewine wrote:

                  > I strongly suggest that SACC scan Mel's tattoo, copyright and publish the picture...then Mel, write a cultural geo book with your pic on the cover and we can sell both!

                • alisonanthropology
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 4:23 PM
                    Hi. I can't attest to the quality of either of these DVDs, but they made it onto my Amazon.com list last summer as possible options to add to my collection for classes.

                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BEE7EW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKDO7U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

                    Some of the National Geographic collections (which I think someone mentioned already) and Travel Channel ones may have useful ones too.

                    Best of luck,
                    Alison

                  • alisonanthropology
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5 4:31 PM
                      By no means is that an endorsement for using Amazon.com. I just find the "wish list" so convenient, and too, as those interested will notice, not all the director/copyright holder etc. bibliographic detail is contained. Good luck finding what you're looking for.