Re: [SACC-L] - is he right?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 10:10 AM
      Wow, I had to print this one. It's more than I can tolerate reading on a computer screen.

      Professor Giroux certainly hits upon every ill�real and imagined�that higher education has experienced or might experience. And then he hits them again, and again, for pages, as though the nail just won't go through the board. After a while I became distracted by his relentlessly long sentences, lack of supporting evidence for his generalizations that his personal experience at Penn State U reflected higher education in general, and (finally) his drifting into esoteric ramblings about post-structuralism and the works of Paulo Freire, C. Wright Mills, Noam Chomsky and others I don't even know.

      Forgive my years of editing, but if this had been submitted for publication in SACC Notes, I would have sent it back with recommendations to shorten it by three-fourths, change to succinct, to-the-point sentences, provide evidence for generalizations and get rid of the jargon. Ironically, Giroux appeals to journalists like Bill Moyers (who know how to communicate with the public) to interact "with academics..to..form alliances..dedicated to creating public spheres.." Might he be unaware of how useless his brand of academic communication would be to such an endeavor?

      All this aside, his main point is worth stating: Commodification does indeed threaten higher education's contribution to the public good. This has been happening in community colleges for some time, and we discuss the matter periodically on this listserv. Apparently, with hard economic times, this phenomenon is now occurring at the universities as well. Of course, what serves the public good differs between the two kinds of institutions. Some might argue that with their vocational emphasis on fitting students for specific jobs, community colleges are serving well the public good. Perhaps the law schools and MBA mills of prestigious private universities are doing the same in preparing their charges to continue "leading" our country.

      However, the central role of a college education�in my opinion, to liberate the mind and create an informed citizenry capable of independent, critical thought�is certainly on the wane. Giroux's concluding recommendations for "fighting back" are all worthy goals to seek, but somewhat reality-challenged for the moment. For example, he states, "We need to address what the optimum conditions are for educators to perform their work in an autonomous and critical fashion.." As I read this yesterday, an article in the Des Moines Register, April 29, 2011, reported that the Iowa Board of Regents planned to consider challenging the university tenure system.

      Nonetheless, I'm optimistic that many of these kinds of threats (including the dismantling of Medicare, Social Security and the "American Way") will be short-lived. Donald Trump might have been the back-breaking straw. Some of the heretofore silent and fearful are beginning to awaken, as though from a bad dream. If I were a serious moderate Republican, I'd want to get on the right side of all this.

      Lloyd