SACCfest Omaha

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
      It was a wonderful SACCfest in Omaha! Mel, you did such a terrific job of organizing and keeping us on track. As usual, SACC takes me to places that are new, interesting, and where I might not otherwise go.

      The hotel was unbelievable. I think it's the best I've experienced at SACCfest! We had suites, free breakfasts, and, most importantly, a free happy hour when we were back at the hotel in time.

      The location of the hotel was terrific. If folks didn't explore the gastronomic opportunities in Old Market, they really missed out. I had Omaha steaks, some of the best Persian food ever, and ate at a French Café. I heard the Italian restaurant was really good, too. I'm sorry I didn't have more time to explore!

      The guest speaker made forensic anthropology real and important. It was a tough topic to watch and hear about, but well worth it.

      The students from University of South Dakota (Dona Davis is calling them the "SACCettes") presented excellent papers and were fun to hang out with. I hope we didn't scare them off!

      Becky, thanks again for organizing the papers so they were all part of a cohesive whole. How do you do that?

      Thanks to presenters for sharing their knowledge.

      The tour of the Primate Center at the Henry Doorley Zoo was unbelievable. I can't believe we got so close to those wonderful silverbacks. I had to stand with my hands in my pockets to keep from making contact. I doubt that I will ever get an opportunity to be that up close and personal with gorillas!

      Mel, thank you for working so hard to make it possible for us to visit Little Priest Tribal College. Their kindness and hospitality, especially the drumming and prayer, were moving and important for me. Having the Tribal Council Chairman was particularly interesting. They were all so open to any questions we had even though they had said they didn't want us to be like anthropologists asking lots of questions. I hope they got as much out of our visit as I did. I gotta get a recipe for fry bread!

      I never would have gone to Boys Town but now that I've seen what they do and how they do it and hearing the testimonies of our two young guides, I'm ashamed that I didn't visit there when I lived in South Dakota. It just goes to show that Margaret Mead was right: Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/33522.html>

      And, it was so cool to wander around Elephant Hall and have dinner with friends in such an extraordinary place. Ribs, anyone?

      Chuck and Gayle, thanks for delivering the SACC Net. I promised Lloyd that I'll write a little later on the adventures of the net!

      Last, but not least, one of the best things about SACCfest is renewing friendships.

      Mel and Leatha, thank you so much for making this such a special SACCfest.

      Thanks to everyone who contributed to another memorable event.

      Cheers!

      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

      Anthropology & Sociology

      Greenville Technical College

      P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

      Greenville, SC 29607

      864-250-8729

      "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

      You've got to be taught from year to year

      It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

      You've got to be carefully taught"

      --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
        Mel, Dianne's email reminded me that we'll want a description of the annual meeting from the president for the website. Anyone have photos they'd like to include? Ann

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
          I have lots and will post them on the facebook page. Anyone can view them, even if you are not a member of fb yourself. After I finish Earth Week at school (!) I'll get the pictures posted. You'll just go to facebook.com and type The Society for Anthropology for Community Colleges in the search box. Ann, you can just tell me which ones you want, or you may be able to copy or save them off the facebook page.

          Laura

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2011
            I want to add my belated thank-you to Mel and Leatha as well for their excellent organizational skills. Dianne's description of the gorillas makes me very sorry I had to miss that visit. Sounds extraordinary.

            Laura, I haven't had time to download my photos from my camera yet, but if anything looks of interest, I'll post it or send it to you.

            Deborah