Re: [SACC-L] How to increase enrollments

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
      Hi, Nikki:

      It seems you have lots of great ideas! One other point to remember is that Anthropology fulfills a "Diversity" or "Multi-cultural" requirement for many 4-year schools. I would take a quick look at local 4-years and then market Anthro as fulfilling their needs.

      Sydney

      Sydney Hart, Ph.D.
      Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department
      Assistant Professor, Sociology, Anthropology, and Global Studies
      Wilbur Wright College
      4300 North Narragansett Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60634
      >>> Nikki Ives <ikkinh@...> 04/12/11 9:18 AM >>>
      Hi All -

      Sorry I couldn't make it to the SACC meeting. I hope you all had fun. I have a
      question for all of you and I apologize in advance that this is so long...

      The full-time anthropology person (and former SACC member) here at Prince
      George's Community College is about to retire after 40+ years of service.
      Unfortunately, anthropology here at the college is dying. It has been neglected
      over the past 5 or so years and enrollments have dropped so much that at this
      point, they are only offering a 1-year fixed-term position to replace the
      retiring anthropology person.

      I, of course, am going to throw caution to the wind and I have applied for the
      job fully realizing that if I get the position, I may be unemployed at the end
      of 2012. However, if I could figure out a way to start re-growing the program
      and increase enrollments, then, perhaps, there is a tiny sliver of hope that
      this could actually turn into a "real" job for me! Not to mention the fact that
      there will be an increase in students who are educated in the fascinating and
      relevant field of anthropology.

      So, my question to all of you is - how can I increase enrollments? Any ideas?
      Is it a matter of just getting the word out and advertising classes? Is it
      getting guest speakers? Keeping in mind I may not even get the job, here are
      the ideas that I've come up with (I figure this may also come up during the
      interview, if I even get an interview):

      1) Create a flier with information about how relevant anthropology is on one
      side and advertises the available classes on the other. Strategically place
      this flier around campus and near the advising offices during the peak
      registration period. (I actually already do this).

      2) Schmooze with the advisors and get them to direct students to anthropology
      classes. The problem with this is - anthropology is only an elective! Yes, a
      few years ago, someone neglected to remind the powers that be that anthropology
      is very relevant and it somehow got "dropped" from the "required" social science
      requirements for many majors here at the college. Have any of you ever done
      this? Do you think it matters that it is only an elective?

      3) Invite someone from the Association of Black Anthropologists to come speak at
      the school (since 70% of our students identify as Black, African or African
      American). My concern here is that nobody will show up to see the speaker - this
      happens a lot on our campus :-(

      4) Create an "Anthropology Resource Center". I like this idea - my problem is:
      where? There is literally NO SPACE on this campus. Seriously, they are
      converting the lunch room in our building to a classroom for next semester.
      They almost put the International Education Center in a janitor's closet! And,
      where would I get the money for the resources?? Any ideas about this? Maybe I
      could make a "traveling" resource center? Has anyone ever done this or heard of
      this?

      These are my ideas - do any of you have any ideas or input? I know you are all
      busy and I just wrote a novel here but, any advice will be much appreciated.
      Please help me save the dying anthropology department here at PGCC (or at least
      have something to say in the interview)!

      thanks,
      Nikki

    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
        Nikki,

        I suggest you survey some of the current anthropology students to see what they would like to see offered. Our department did this and were a bit surprised. We typically offer multiple sections of the intro courses but offer several different second year courses. Our enrolments weren't going as good as we thought they should so rather than guess what the students wanted, we asked them. We did a survey asking students what other courses they would be interested in taking (beyond the intro course). As a result, one course we regularly offered every year is now out of the rotation completely, we have reduced the frequency of some others, and have initiated some new courses. Our most popular courses (other than our intro courses) are now Anthropology of Religion, Anthropology of Food, and Ethnomusicology. I expect interests will change over the next few years, but we won't forget to survey the students again. We do not simply follow the survey to choose our course offerings. We also consider what is best for the students in regards to transferability and completion of associate degrees, and instructor interest and expertise, but.....student interest is valuable when you throw it into the mix.

        I also suggest that you make yourself known to prospective students in a very simple way. I think if the students can put a face to the instructor, in most cases they will think more seriously about taking the course. When I recruit students for my fieldschool, I very rarely get applications from any student who has not personally seen me in the classroom. I used to get other anthropologists and historians and geographers entusiastically promote my fieldschool in their classes, but I got very few applications. Once I started to go into those instructor's myself for a two or three minute promo, I started getting many applications. I think just removing the "unknown" (as in not knowing the instructor) can clear a big hurdle to student enrolment.

        Along that same line of thinking, you can ask some of your cnon-anthropology colleagues if you can promote anthropology in their classes. Or, better yet, you can offer to give a guest lecture in some of your non-anthropology colleague's courses. It will make you known, and students will follow.

        Good luck with the interview.

        Bob

      • Gilliland, Mary
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
          At Pima we have a new course, started by our new full-time instructor, Dianna Repp, which focuses on Anthropology and Body Art. She has only one section, but it is packed full.

          Mary Kay

> [...]

          happens a lot on our campus :-(

          4) Create an "Anthropology Resource Center". I like this idea - my problem is:
          where? There is literally NO SPACE on this campus. Seriously, they are
          converting the lunch room in our building to a classroom for next semester.
          They almost put the International Education Center in a janitor's closet! And,
          where would I get the money for the resources?? Any ideas about this? Maybe I
          could make a "traveling" resource center? Has anyone ever done this or heard of
          this?

          These are my ideas - do any of you have any ideas or input? I know you are all
          busy and I just wrote a novel here but, any advice will be much appreciated.
          Please help me save the dying anthropology department here at PGCC (or at least
          have something to say in the interview)!

        • Nikki Ives
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
            Hi All -

            Thanks so much for the feedback!

            Right now we offer:

            Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
            Introduction to Physical Anthropology
            Introduction to Archaeology
            Magic, Witchcraft and Religion
            Peoples and Cultures

            The only two that ever run are the intro to cultural/physical anthro courses. I
            think we need to rename the magic and witchcraft one. We have a high number of
            students here who refuse to read Harry Potter in the Children's Lit classes and
            I just get the feeling that anything with magic and witchcraft in the title is a
            major turn-off for many of our students here.

            I have proposed new courses with a lackluster response. One proposal was "Women
            in Japan" since I am the club advisor for the Anime Club and many of the
            students in this club have expressed an interest. I thought this could avoid
            the curriculum committee and fall into the "Peoples and Cultures" category and
            also be used in the Women's Studies program. That proposal did not go over
            well. Maybe it is just because I'm an adjunct, I'm not sure.

            Apparently it is perceived as being "a lot of work" to get a new course past the
            curriculum committee and I haven't found much support in that area. Of course,
            if I get this position, I will lobby for that again. As far as making the
            course "required" I'm not sure if that is an option any time soon. Again, I'll
            lobby for that with all of this advice in mind if I get this position.

            I like the idea of determining what it could fulfill at four-year colleges and
            see if the advisors can advise accordingly.

            Bob, you're right about the personal touch. During the peak registration time I
            go over to the registration area and talk to students and talk up my classes.
            It does seem to work so I'll keep doing that. Thanks again for all of your
            feedback - I really appreciate it!

            Nikki

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
              I can see your point about the Magic and Witchcraft course. Perhaps your students just aren’t going to be happy with an Anthro of religion course under any title. I think your titles are really bland. “Peoples and Cultures” is not only bland but vague. Even a retitling of the courses, without any restructuring, might help.

              Yes, I can agree from experience that being an adjunct makes it much harder to push changes through. However, new courses always have to be introduced. Education needs don’t stand still. Talk to faculty in other departments to find out their experiences in bringing new courses on board.

              One problem about planning new courses is that it often takes at least a year from initial approval to getting listed in the catalog and students registered.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                Nikki: It sounds like you have lots of good ideas – it’s a matter of finding the right avenues at your college to make these things work. Simple things such as re-naming classes might be very helpful. Find out if the Curriculum process is really that difficult, or maybe even get on the curriculum council or committee. And you are absolutely right that most important in all this is transferability – if it doesn’t transfer mostly it won’t work.

                Good luck with the application!

                Mary Kay

> [...]

                happens a lot on our campus :-(

                4) Create an "Anthropology Resource Center". I like this idea - my problem is:
                where? There is literally NO SPACE on this campus. Seriously, they are
                converting the lunch room in our building to a classroom for next semester.
                They almost put the International Education Center in a janitor's closet! And,
                where would I get the money for the resources?? Any ideas about this? Maybe I
                could make a "traveling" resource center? Has anyone ever done this or heard of

                this?

                These are my ideas - do any of you have any ideas or input? I know you are all
                busy and I just wrote a novel here but, any advice will be much appreciated.
                Please help me save the dying anthropology department here at PGCC (or at least
                have something to say in the interview)!

              • Pam Ford
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                  Nikki,

                  I suggest you contact Amanda Paskey at Cosumnes River College (California). She and her two colleagues have done some very innovative things for their department. One is that they have a Facebook page (they are very careful with it); they have "Lunch with an anthropologist" on a regular basis, and they have several other activities. They even have a logo which is a take off on the old "Charlie's Angels:" since there are three female anthros at Cosumnes River, they are the Anthro Angels. I know it sounds hokey, but the three of them have the ability to pull it off!

                  I agree with Mary that you will want to get those courses incorporated into the degree/transfer requirements FIRST, but ideas like the ones above can help you instigate internal interest as well.

                  Good luck!

                  ~Pam Ford
                  Mt. San Jacinto College
                  San Jacinto, CA

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                    My strongest recommendation is to try to get Anthropology listed as one
                    of the options for the required social science - that would give you
                    much more leverage. Most community colleges have a "curriculum"
                    process, and you may be able to change the designation that way.

                    especially for a nursing/ health sciences major.
                    Good Luck - Mike Pavlik

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                      Nikki: I am looking for a copy of the plan that I did when I started building an anthro program at a similar community college with a similar demographic. Until then, let me add a few items from memory, as we built our program with many of the same problems over a relatively few years from one intro cultural section to a three field program, with
                      1.. It is important to build with a dean partner and an approved plan. Build toward a dept. with separate budget and a Program Coordinator position formed with your Dean. Offer a written 3-5 Year Plan for growth and development of anthro in a local-global context. (local club, local digs, local presentations in ethnic neighborhood centers, to counseling dept., to linked occupational programs: nursing, law enforcement, hospitality management, Honor's Program.) Deans like this kind of linkage and you can include faculty partners in the linked areas...I did Food and Culture projects added to my 1010 class linked to Hospitality Management, health/medical care projects with my nursing students...was going to try a pre-Forensics section of Intro to Biological Anth and Intro to Archeology linked to local forensics programs .
                      2.. If you do archaeology, try linking the course to a campus field site for historical arch. and get a grant to do so. External local/state/national grants bring with them admin support and in-kind contribution...I got a lab in our campus from this effort. You can start this field effort with a high school(s) linked with credit in escrow program. Archaeology only fills with such student populations...look for a high school history or soc. studies partner to do that.
                      3.. 3 cultural sections: Intro to Cultural, Peoples and Cultures, and Urban Cultures...we had a Magic W, and Rel., but it died without linking to the Religion/Philosophy Dept...and I had to take out the Magic label as it was attacked by the heavy-handed Christian evangelicals in our counseling dept. and among the faculty. The Peoples and Cultures course is a comparative ethnology course that I wrote and was first done as a videocourse produced at our college, then reworked into a web class that runs 4-6 sections as a 200-level class that satisfies a local non-Western diversity requirement for our linked 4 year university.
                      4.. Growth began with utilizing the new delivery systems as they came up: telecourses, webcourses, cable courses. For 1010 the first growth happened with use of Faces of Culture telecourse and use of the video series for our traditional classes...then we constructed our own cable and video classes with a county-wide draw for students....then we got into web classes and built quickly with those.
                      5.. we also marketed classes online to high schools for credit in escrow, to other off-site students like military personnel and students wanting to take anthro at our college rather than local 4 year colleges.
                      6.. we built anth 1010 from one to 7-10 sections per term using the student peer interactions with an active Anthro Student Club with myself as advisor, and connected funtionally to the International Student Club for social events and for projects. growth continued strongly due to our web delivery system...we can run almost as many as we want to handle with this Blackboard option with seminars on campus offered..
                      7..
                      8.. Intro to Physical, web-based, two sections...being renamed soon as Intro to Human Origins though I asked for Intro to Biological Anthro. Wanted to link this class with pre-Forensics program and add Intro to Archaeology. (methods are very close) need lab unless it becomes a webclass, then need lab simulation.
                      9.. Intro to Archaeology, Archaeological Field Methods with lab component. This Field Methods course is geared toward student interns in our lab and with our CCR program.