Anyone in the Twin Cities Area? Free Human Evol Teachers' Workshop

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011
      Every year, the AAPA does a workshop for secondary teachers on human
      evolution and related topics.

      In the past, we have also found that general anthro instructors at CCs
      are interested, so I wanted to let any of you in that area know that we
      are holding the workshop on Saturday Morning, Apr 16.

      The workshop is free; breakfast, coffee breaks, and meeting registration
      are usually included.

      If interested, please contact Martin Nickels:
      email: mnickels@... phone: 309.661.1909

      _Program schedule:_

      8:15 -- 8:20 Registration and Welcome (Coffee, tea, juice, pastries and
      such will be available.)

      8:20 -- 9:00 "Primate Clues to Human Behavior" Dr. Andrew Petto, Univ.
      of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. This workshop focuses on primate behavior and
      the many relationships and similarities between what we perceive to be
      human behavior and that seen in other living primates. Many of these
      behaviors provide insight into our own behavioral repertoire. Behavioral
      examples will be provided from each of the major groups, especially the
      apes. Information sheets and resource lists will be provided to assist
      teachers in classroom preparation and discussion.

      9:05 -- 9:45 "Using the Fossil Record in Teaching Human Evolution" Dr.
      Michael Alan Park of Central Connecticut State University. This session
      demonstrates and discusses differences and similarities between modern
      apes and humans. This establishes a "baseline" of observations for
      interpreting fossils. Participants will use a series of fossil casts to
      assess the pattern of evolutionary change over time. We will end by
      considering the "answers" and what they tell us about the evidence for
      and pathway of our evolution. Additional information plus educational
      resources and materials will be provided.

      9:50-10:05: Coffee Break.

      10:05 - 10:45 "Human Skin Color Variation and Race" Dr. Pamela Ashmore,
      University of Missouri-St. Louis & Dr. Barbara O'Connell, Hamline
      University. This hands-on session provides the opportunity to explore
      the adaptive significance of human skin color variation. Participants
      will investigate the application of this trait to recognized racial
      categories and address misconceptions regarding race and human
      variation. This session will demonstrate how scientific methods can be
      applied to the biological study of race and will provide a knowledge
      base for teachers to discuss the reality of using human physical
      characteristics as predictors of racial assignment. Information sheets
      and resource lists will be provided.

      10:50 -- 11:30 "Who are you? Strategies for Presenting Forensic
      Anthropology and Human Variation in the Classroom" K. Lindsay
      Eaves-Johnson, M.A., University of Iowa & Dr. Nancy Tatarek, Ohio
      University. When all that remains of a person are bones, forensic
      anthropology can help answer this question. Using the tools of
      anthropology and knowledge of human variation, one can determine sex,
      age at death, race or biological affinity, and sometimes even
      indications of a person's occupation. Participants will work through
      sample exercises that may be used with their own students and will
      receive a list of resources, including videos and a short bibliography.

      11:30 -- 12:00 "Q & A Session" Dr. Briana Pobiner, Human Origins
      Program, NMNH, Smithsonian Institution. Participating teachers are
      encouraged to bring up any problems and difficulties they may have had
      teaching about evolution, especially human evolution. Share your ideas
      and resources for teaching about human evolution and suggest additional
      resources you would like to see made available.

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2011
        Turns out that I will be going tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

        Deborah

        email: mnickels@...<mailto:mnickels%40ilstu.edu> phone: 309.661.1909