Re: [SACC-L] Arlington (TX) lawmaker's bill would protect questioners of evolution

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
      Both, actually. And furthermore, protected from having to confront
      evidence-based policies.

      Part of this, dear colleagues, is our being hoisted on our own petard.
      It is, perhaps, *our* failure to make clear that, say, cultural
      relativism does not mean that everything and anything goes and insist on
      making the real issue of integrity of communities, beliefs, and
      practices the REAL issue here. Or, say, the openness of the scientific
      process: that we can never say for a fact what is TRUE, only what is
      false; and that we can always be proved wrong in the future.

      If you look carefully at these groups and what they say (and it is often
      painful to do so), their critiques often revolve around these two
      points. And, when Ray Eve writes that this is a struggle for control of
      cultural reproduction (and not about climate or evolution or even
      whether the material in Texas's history books have too great a "Hispanic
      influence" ---yeah, someone on the state school board really said
      that!), I think he is focusing on these issues.

      They are the same issues --- in the broadest sense --- that
      antievolutionists have been flogging since I got involved in this in the
      late 70s: it's about the Umwelt, not the Science!

      Anj

      On 3/22/2011 09:04, Lynch, Brian M wrote:

      > "Protected from evolution"....... Or, rather, protected from
      > academic/scientific standards of inquiry-on which academic understanding
      > and/or research is meant to be founded? Amazing.
      >
      > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences