RE: [SACC-L] Re: item for board meeting agenda in Omaha

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16 6:03 AM
      Perhaps we ought to make it clear that covering registration we do expect that they submit their talk for SACC Notes and emphasis how it would benefit a greater number of people and be available online.

      From: <Dianne.Chidester@...>
      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>; <mlewine@...>
      Cc: <steinrl@...>; <bjoans@...>; <lagonzal@...>;
      <abalzano@...>; <bmuckle@...>; <ddbruner@...>;
      <tstevens@...>; <mark.lewine@...>; <NicoleIves@...>;
      <kauppa@...>; <broruprecht@...>; <ellenbaumbridge@...>;
      <tsullivan@...>; <stein39@...>; <mtromans@...>;
      <bkass@...>; <deborah.shepherd@...>;
      <grodgers@...>; <jo_rainie@...>; <dianneky@...>;
      <majohns1@...>; <Margaret.Ismaila-Mitchell@...>;
      <WGByrne@...>; <bdonohue-lynch@...>;
      <bmueller@...>; <mkgilliland@...>;
      <johnson@...>; <roberg@...>; <babe@...>;
      <llight2@...>; <ldlight10@...>; <ninivaggic@...>;
      <mrkellogg@...>; <akcahoon@...>; <ann.popplestone@...>;
      <flagana@...>; <pamela.maack@...>; <mjmcwhorte@...>;
      <weber@...>; <missiontosonora@...>; <jwenzel@...>;
      <phamlen@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:58 AM

      Providing a written guide to future SACC presidents is a great idea. In
      fact, Ann Kaupp, Bob Muckle, Phil Naftaly, a couple of other folks (sorry I
      can't remember all the names), and I worked on one. Maybe it hasn't gotten
      passed on?

      Also, when I invited 5-fields presenters, I used a letter format from Bob
      Muckle which told them right up front that their presentation would be
      published. One of them didn't submit, but I do think we got the others. I
      think if I had it to do over, I'd be even more specific that this would be
      part of the contract with them. (We do, after all, pay for their AAA
      registration.)

      Something else I'd like to discuss sometime is what should an intro course
      definitely cover. Our psychology folks have recommendations from the APA
      which they use in course evaluations.

      Cheers?
      Dianne

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 16 6:12 AM
        Forgot the listserve doesn't accept attachments. Here is the guide:

        WORDS OF WISDOM FROM FORMER SACC PRESIDENTS
        ON ORGANIZING AN ANNUAL MEETING

        1. Start Planning Early.

        Rob and Julie Edwards recommend 18 months of lead time though some of us had less time to plan.

        2. NOTIFY the AAA Meeting Coordinator that you are president and they will send you a Section Meeting Service Outline with a list of services they offer, at an hourly fee. For instance, they can negotiate your hotel contract (though many of us have done this ourselves as we establish a personal contact), handle registration (recommended), and liability insurance, among other offerings.

        3. Check the calendar. Consider dates of other anthropology meetings and try to avoid major holidays (though we've had two meeting around Easter) when flights may be more costly.

        4. Select a location for your meeting that is not too difficult to get to.

        5. Lodging. Important to estimate the number of people who might attend so you can reserve the right number of rooms. Hotels require payment for a minimum number of rooms, and if you fall below you still need to pay. On the other hand, if you didn't reserve enough rooms, folks might not be able to stay at the meeting hotel. Some of us reserved 30 rooms to be rather safe and usually went over. Some organizers have reserved a few rooms at the meeting price for participants who might want to arrive a day early. Many hotels will give you a free room if you filled the number reserved. AAA must approve the hotel contract with the AAA attorney and executive director signing off on it.

        Create a personal relationship with someone at the site. Know all the possible ways of making contact on short notice when your sales rep. might not be available.

        6. Meeting rooms. Some hotels have included the meeting room rental in the lodging costs providing you reserve a specific number of rooms. Others haven't such as in D.C. You will need space that will comfortably hold around 65 people sitting at tables and have room for displays, buffets, and possibly registration, which oftentimes is held outside the meeting room. Be sure you have the space for the entire conference so you don't have to set up/take down/set up again. Be sure the room can be darkened sufficiently for visual presentations with good light for the rest of the meeting.

        7. Media. It's important to arrange for an LCD projector, a good laptop, high quality screen. Some organizers have supplied the LCD projector. Presenters may bring their own laptops, but most bring a thumb drive or CD. It really helps if you can have access to a computer whiz who can trouble shoot if things go wrong (which they will and do!)

        8. Food. Most often buffet breakfasts and lunches are provided during the paper sessions and included in the registration fee. These food breaks onsite are important in allowing people to become acquainted and create cohesion. The down-side of this is that the up-front cost (combined lodging, meeting, food) requires a higher registration fee. Some hotels have a minimum daily requirement for the cost of food. In D.C. it was $700.
        In recent years, the registration fee has averaged about $275 per person. To check out the quality of the hotel food, ask if you can sample a lunch or dinner at no cost. Hotels usually do offer a free lunch to demonstrate the quality of their food. If you decide not to include meals as part of the package, then be sure to have a list of places (and prices) where people can go within walking distance. Providing some menus for display would be helpful.

        Snacks help keep people awake but they can be costly. (At Asilomar snacks ran $8.75 per person per snack). Coffee/tea/water and some kind of munchie at breaks are important. Rob and Julie chose to only provide snacks in the morning and to provide a longer break in the afternoon. During the break people could go over to the coffee bar if they wanted to purchase something. Hotels do not allow food to be brought. Rob and Julie did provide bottled water and fruit that they purchased at Costco without permission from Asilomar figuring it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission but this may affect your relationship with the hotel.

        9. Banquets/Receptions. In recent years, organizers have planned a reception the evening of registration and before the paper sessions. These convivial events have been very successful. SACC members like eating together. However, if most meals are on one's own, then at least one "banquet" evening would be recommended. You may or may not want to include a speaker or entertainment as part of this evening. Do not forget to include this event as part of your budget to be included in the registration fee.

        10. Down-time, social time. The major reason people give for attending SACC meetings is the opportunity to talk with colleagues. Providing time for this to happen is crucial. Breaks, "round tables," open-time question periods tied to presentations, etc. Plan this in carefully.

        11. Speakers. Each SACC-Fest has tried to focus on "place" and select field trips and speakers that expose participants to some deep understandings about the location. Various organizers have interpreted this in different ways, but all have worked hard to get at least one speaker from outside the SACC network. Set this up early as speakers' calendars fill up. It's also a good idea to have a back-up or two in mind in case someone has to cancel.

        12. Field trips. Find out early the cost of buses!! They are one of the biggest costs of the conference. Two half-days is more expensive than one long day (unless one of the half-days is in walking distance). Think about distance, time on the bus, water on the bus, time to wander at the destination, speakers/guides at the destination, etc. It's a good idea to have a back-up van in case you are a few people over which may happen at the last minute ("Is it OK for my son to come along?"). You will need to collect for a tip for the driver or plan this into your costs.

        13. Program. Work closely with the program chair. She/he will put out a call for proposals; create a draft of the schedule of presentations; send out acceptance notes to the presenters. One of the skills required here is adjusting to presenter's needs to speak on certain days or at certain times. Be prepared for changes in the last few weeks. (Blessings on Rebecca Stein who has done this so brilliantly for the last few years).

        Printed program. In the past, the program chair has put this together and sent it to the treasurer to print and deliver to the conference. For two recent conferences, the organizers took the information from the program chair and created and printed the program. They were reimbursed by the treasurer for the printing costs. Either way can work - the key is good communication between the organizers, the program chair and the treasurer.

        14. Scheduling of events
        · Don't start the first day of the meeting with presentations in the morning. Most lodging sites are set up for arrival after lunch and most people traveling out-of-state can't get there until mid-day.
        · Consider scheduling a board meeting in the mid-afternoon followed by an evening reception.
        · Think carefully about access for adjunct faculty who may not be able to attend the field trips but want to be part of the meetings.
        15. Publicity
        · Getting the word out to SACC members includes using the newsletter, listserve, web page and email. The AAA also can assist on publicity. Postcards and letters with address labels from the AAA is another way of getting the word out.
        · The Chair of the Membership Committee usually sends out a letter in early October to inform, invite and encourage attendance.
        · Be sure that all registration and reservation deadlines are included.
        · As soon as the program is set, it should go up on the web.
        ·
        16. Registration & reservations
        · Registration for the conference itself is done through the AAA. We pay them for this service. The idea is that they will send us the information as people register. This is not a seamless process and takes considerable work to make it work. The current contact person is Khara Minter (kminter@...<mailto:kminter@...>; (703) 528-1902, ext. 3025. Get to know her early in the process!
        · The SACC treasurer will bring receipts, name tags and name tag holders to the conference for pre-registered attendees. She/he will also bring forms for on-site registration. Organizers and treasurer should deicide on who will handle on-site registration starting on the first day people arrive.
        · Reservations for lodging are done separately through the hotel or conference ground. Organizers arrange for special rates for participants but SACC is responsible for a minimum number of rooms. This also takes on-going contact between the organizers and the reservations person at the lodging site.

        17. Budgeting: Create a spread sheet of all the costs SACC will be responsible for and be generous in your expectations of costs! The meetings are the way that SACC supplements its operating budget each year. (I added $50.00 per person to the costs for SACC operations). Work closing with the treasurer on estimating costs. There is a pre-registration deadline cost and a post deadline cost. You should also compute a cost for one-day registration (particularly attractive for people who live in the area and for adjunct).

        18. Estimating # of people: Check out the past three or four years of attendance and think about factors such as ease of travel, locations, dates, etc. and make an educated guess! You also need to think about extra people who will come with members, not register for the conference, but will attend the field trip (you can have a special charge for the field-trip only). The trick here is to estimate low in terms of committing to rooms but to estimate high in terms of back up plans (whew!).

        19. Packets and prizes and such: Everyone loves getting things! Each SACC-Fest has done this a little differently but here are some of the things to consider:
        · Book bag to hold stuff!
        · Program binder with program, minutes from SACC, flyers/forms AAA/SACC, tourist information, paper or notebooks for writing, a pen!
        · A bottle of water in each bag is really, really nice!
        · Check with publishers for a book display and possible books to give away at the end.
        · Posters, prizes, may be available - check with local merchants, Tourist offices, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

        20. Items to Sell
        SACC mugs and t-shirts have been recent items to supplement the treasury. The Vice-President for Membership and Development takes a lead on this.

        Rob and Julie's things they would do differently next time: (Or - if only I knew then what I know now!)
        · The only time we could get California coast lodging was to schedule into the Easter weekend. This was hard for some people. Maybe if we had started planning three years out we could have gotten an earlier weekend.
        · A number of people left on Saturday due to the holidays. This meant we had a number of rooms empty that we had to pay for.
        · Responsibility for publicity wasn't clear and needed more follow up.
        · We needed a better way to get the schedule of events out to participants before the conference began. We did not have everyone's email address, which needs to become part of the registration form with AAA. We also need a clearer system of getting information from AAA to SACC.

        COFFEE AND SNACKS ARE EXPENSIVE! This was some of the best info that Ph il Naftly and Bob Muckle passed on to me. He told me to be ready to be shocked by the price of coffee and I was. Be sure to get price lists from the prospective hotels. Also, try the food. Even though they told me the hotel renovations would be finished before our meeting, they were willing to let me bring food in. This really helped us cover costs. The snacks weren't fancy and it meant more work for me, but I think it was worth it. (When I was planning this meeting, I was scared to death that SACC would end up with no money. We were very close to running in the red at this time.) Also, SACCers will guzzle soft drinks like you wouldn't believe. These are expensive, too.

        BUSES ARE EXPENSIVE! Try to work with the bus company so you can vary whether it will be one or two buses or that you can add vehicles later on. I had someone in Savannah helping me with this and he was a life saver. Some SACCers will just show up with extra people for the tours only. We were able to get everyone out to the Penn Center because he rented a van (and drove it), and a few of us drove our cars and "carried" other folks with us. Looking back on this, I would probably make a rule and keep track so that the "first signed up" has priority.

        AAA. They are not always easy to work with. It amazed me how I couldn't get information from them sometimes. For example, they couldn't tell me how many people had registered until right at the end. Maybe this has changed.

        Use the local Chamber of Commerce. Because I went through the meeting planning division of the Chamber of Commerce in Savannah, I was able to get lots of information about other activities going on. I also got two free nights for a visit Savannah before finalizing the meeting. This gave me a chance to talk to people at a lot of different hotels.

        Gather Information. I knew some things about Savannah, but the planner at the Chamber was a local person. She's the one who told me to take the group to Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House. I didn't know about the place and, for me, it was one of the special activities.

        Checking the calendar. This is really, really important. I found out from the Chamber of Commerce that there were only a couple of open weekends in Savannah in the spring because of garden tours, house tours, golf tournaments, etc. I took this into consideration as well as Easter, Passover, and Orthodox Easter.

        Guest Speakers. Again, the Chamber was helpful. They gave me names at the Savannah College of Art and Design. I contacted SCAD and they suggested some speakers. Also, the Penn Center suggested our speaker on Gullah heritage. Make sure you have contact with your speakers so they know the group and know where the group is meeting. One of my speakers went to one of the local colleges because he had given presentations there so many times before. And, find out how much they charge. One of my speakers charged nothing (We still made a payment to him and he donated it to his school); the other was a surprise for me. Find out what technology they need for their presentations.

        Shopping Time. This group likes some time to visit unusual/local shops. Be sure that there's time for this. For example, we stopped in Frogmore (a crossroads) because there is a little artist colony there. People wouldn't have been able to get there on their own.

        Food. I had box lunches delivered one day. That was one of the biggest disappointments. I should've sampled their food. I just used the hotel's list of caterers.

        City Info. The Chamber of Commerce can probably provide maps, city info, restaurant lists, etc. This can go into the packets given at the registration table.

        City Tours. Bob Muckle may have started this and we've done it at several conferences now. It gives folks an overview of where they are and usually comes with a bit of tour guide information. I think it was about $15/person. They worked out a deal for us because we would fill two trolleys and they wouldn't be stopping and starting. It was a sure thing for them. This company was also the same ones who helped me arrange for the buses.

        Publicity. As soon as you have dates, let folks know. Also, AAA has several sites where they publish the announcement and it may still be free. I also e-mailed people directly. Some folks were not happy with this, however. I e-mailed updates while planning the meetings. For example, when I knew we would be at the Penn Center, I e-mailed information about it. I also e-mailed info about Savannah being one of the top "walking cities" in the U.S. A preliminary program is good, even if you don't know the specifics. Some folks need these for administrators.

        Publishers. Sometimes the publishers are willing to come up with a little money if you allow them to display their books.

        Packets, prizes, and such. Personally, I'm not big into this. To me it's just something else to have to figure out how I will get it on the plane. Ask the hotel if they will provide writing pads and pens (and if they charge for this).

        Lodging. Bargain for a free exploratory visit. (The Chamber of Commerce will often arrange for this.) They will usually give one or two rooms for free during the conference depending on how many rooms you book. We got two in Savannah. I used one and gave the other one to Mel & Leatha because they did so much work.

        Herding Cats. Someone described keeping track of SACCers as "like herding cats on crack." I felt I had to be very clear and demanding about when the bus would leave and that people needed to keep track of each other and make sure your "seat buddies" were on the bus. Something else I would do now is to provide everyone with phone numbers of taxis. Also, if it's not on the schedule, you're on your own. (This sounds bad, but we really are all up for any and all adventures!)

        We talked about this at the SF meetings, and decided then that we would compile information and produce a binder or documents for the President-Elect, the President, and the Past President. I remember this distinctly as I knew that my hour was imminent...

        Mark, if you could send your written guide out as part of the body of an email, or directly to us, that would be helpful, as the list serv doesn't accept attachments. Maybe it's time to change that?

        Laura

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16 6:44 AM
          RE: [SACC-L] Re: item for board meeting agenda in OmahaI am sorry that I misled...retirement has drained my brain...I just meant that Diane should find her copy and share her letter because it would of course be the one to use. I will continue looking for my copy as I am going through all of my old SACC stuff in my home office...I will be bringing a few outstanding syllabi from Ellen that someone can scan into our web page...stuff like that.
> [...]

          >>> "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame
          >>> Dennis
          >>>

          >>> Subject: RE: item for board meeting agenda in Omaha
          >>> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:52:04 -0800
          >>> From: lagonzal@...
          >>> To: nicoleives@...; lloyd.miller@...
          >>> CC: majohns1@...; steinrl@...; grodgers@...;
          >>> akcahoon@...; ann.popplestone@...; kauppa@...;
          >>> mkgilliland@...
          >>>
          >>> I think Nicole sums up what we are all experiencing. However, I don't
          >>> want to see SACC Notes end. It is a great way to get published for those
          >>> of us who don't want to go through the rigamaroll of submitting to a
          >>> peer-reviewed journal (and probably wouldn't get accepted anyway, at
          >>> least in my case!). I don't believe that going digital has anything to
          >>> do with it, just that people are swamped.
          >>>
          >>> Is the deadline long past for the Spring issue, Lloyd? Or could several

        • Kent Morris
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 16 9:31 AM
            and soliciting reliable and commited volunteers to accomplish it all is the
            first most crucial goal to making it all happen...

            database 5959 (20110316) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5959 (20110316) __________

            http://www.eset.com