Session at AAA

  • Dianne C
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
      The 2011 American Anthropological Association meetings will be in Montreal November 16-20.

      Jo Rainey Rodgers and I are organizing a session and need participants. This will be a continuation of our teaching series which has been well received.

      Our session title will be: "The Legacies of Teaching Evolutionary Ideas: Not Buckling in the Bible Belt". The ideas do not have to be about teaching evolution, but I'm sure that many of us have many different ways of teaching the topic--as well as many others.

      I think having 4 or 5 people present and having time for discussion works best for this format. Please let me know if you would like to commit to participating in this invited session.

      Becky, do I have to have all the details submitted by 03/15 or is it just the session title and abstract?

      Thanks!
      Dianne Chidester

      Traces, Tidemarks and Legacies
      Sarah Green, 2011 Executive Program Chair
      Traces, tidemarks and legacies are words that evoke the shifting and changeable character of differences that nevertheless persist, perhaps in altered form, as differences. Traces leave hints and reminders of half-forgotten things, relations and thoughts. Tidemarks leave indicators of where things have got to so far: this might be a strongly guarded distinction or just a line in the sand that disappears or shifts location the next day. Legacies imply pasts (imagined, asserted or remembered) that become entangled with the present and potential future, both informing and perhaps defining new differences. The traces, tidemarks and legacies of past and possible future distinctions�partially remembered, partially re-created and partially invented (by anthropologists as much as by anybody else)�make the world a multiply occupied place. And it is this process of how differences are made, marked, removed, maintained and altered within that multiply occupied place that is the focus for the 2011 theme.
      The topic is important now because we are living through a time when most distinctions�between disciplines, places, environments, peoples, objects, biological and non-biological entities, times, languages, beliefs, epistemologies and ontologies�have been thoroughly challenged, both intellectually and morally. Indeed, the distinction between the intellectual and the moral has itself been repeatedly questioned. Yet these challenges have not led to the disappearance or reduction of differences. Moreover, massively increased communication, interaction and the ability to blend entities that were never blended before has not led to the disappearance of differences, either. Nevertheless, something significant has happened; the meaning and location of differences, both intellectually and morally, have been rearranged. The 2011 theme invites participants to reflect on how all fields of anthropology, whose own locations have also been rearranged, are engaging with these shifting realities in which we live, within and across disciplines and regions.
      Montr�al is an ideal location in which to consider such matters, given its rich history of being a multiply occupied place. Montr�al�s residents are actively engaged with questions of making, marking, removing and remaking differences. This not only involves the city and its own traces and tidemarks but also the city�s internationally renowned cultural, performance arts, media and design sectors, all of which are making significant contributions to the transnational debates about how to rearrange the traces, tidemarks and legacies that confront the world today.

    • Andrew Petto
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
        Diane:

        If you like, I can send this note out to NCSE members --- especially in
        the Northeast. I am sure it will generate some interest

        On 3/10/2011 13:17, Dianne C wrote:
> [...]
        > Montréal is an ideal location in which to consider such matters, given its rich history of being a multiply occupied place. Montréal's residents are actively engaged with questions of making, marking, removing and remaking differences. This not only involves the city and its own traces and tidemarks but also the city's internationally renowned cultural, performance arts, media and design sectors, all of which are making significant contributions to the transnational debates about how to rearrange the traces, tidemarks and legacies that confront the world today.

        -----------------------------
        Andrew J Petto, PhD
        Senior Lecturer
        Department of Biological Sciences
        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
        PO Box 413
        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
        Telephone: 414-229-6784
        FAX: 414-229-3926

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
          Thanks! I think I'm going to hold for a day or so in order to give SACCers first "dibs". We may need others, though!

          Cheers!

          Dianne