Primate film recommendation?

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
      Does anyone use a good film to introduce students to primates? I've been using Life on Earth: Life in the Trees (with the wonderful David Attenborough) for so long that my VHS copy is finally giving up. As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist on DVD for the U.S., only in the UK, as it was originally a BBC "programme."

      Any thoughts on a good replacement that is a survey of the primates?
    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
        If I could only show one film of primates, it would probably be 'Among the Wild Chimpanzees', a National Geographic production featuring Jane Goodall. The video is a bit dated. I think it was put together in the 80s from film taken in the 70s. However, students like it, perhaps because they at least recognize the name Jane Goodall. It runs, I think, about 50 minutes.

        I also recommend a series of shorter films from the National Film Board of Canada. They produced a series called "Champions of the Wild" which includes several separate films on primates. There are separate films on lemurs, orangutans, gorillas, Costa Rican Monkeys, and chimpanzees. Each one runs about 25 minutes. I like them because not only do they show primate behavior, they also show how primatologists work in the field. Some of the film footage is amazing. These films were produced in the late 90s. I have my students watch these videos, paying particular attention to subsistence, social systems, communication, affiliative and aggressive behavior.

        And don't forget youtube. Somtimes there is some great stuff on primates there. I recall seeing some really interesting things about chimpanzee hunting on there (eg. infrared photography used to show chimpanzee and prey movement through the trees), and a few months ago there was film showing a gorilla walking bipedally.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2011
          I like to spend more time on primate behavior and primate watching, so I show as many films as I can. "Among the Wild Chimpanzees" is still a great introduction. There's another older National Geographic film featuring Birute Galdikas and Dian Fossey. Both of those are great for a historical perspective. I haven't seen Champions of the Wild, but that sounds good. I look for sources on the internet since a majority of my students are online. Here are some:

          The Last Baboons of Good Hope
          http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/the_last_baboons_of_good_hope/

          Africa: Wilds of Madagascar (all species)
          http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/africa_wilds_of_madagascar/

          A Lemur's Tale
          http://video.pbs.org/video/1393225607/

          "The Life and Legend of Jane Goodall"
          Available through Films on Demand, if your library subscribes

          Last of the Orangutans - Borneo (Journeyman Pictures)
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtcWwIEJ60

          Living with Gorillas
          Also available through Films on Demand

          Ape Genius
          http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/ape-genius.html

          The last one is spectacular.

          Don't forget to show them this website from The Jane Goodall Institute:
          http://www.discoverchimpanzees.org/

          ________________________________
          If I could only show one film of primates, it would probably be 'Among the Wild Chimpanzees', a National Geographic production featuring Jane Goodall. The video is a bit dated. I think it was put together in the 80s from film taken in the 70s. However, students like it, perhaps because they at least recognize the name Jane Goodall. It runs, I think, about 50 minutes.

          I also recommend a series of shorter films from the National Film Board of Canada. They produced a series called "Champions of the Wild" which includes several separate films on primates. There are separate films on lemurs, orangutans, gorillas, Costa Rican Monkeys, and chimpanzees. Each one runs about 25 minutes. I like them because not only do they show primate behavior, they also show how primatologists work in the field. Some of the film footage is amazing. These films were produced in the late 90s. I have my students watch these videos, paying particular attention to subsistence, social systems, communication, affiliative and aggressive behavior.

          And don't forget youtube. Somtimes there is some great stuff on primates there. I recall seeing some really interesting things about chimpanzee hunting on there (eg. infrared photography used to show chimpanzee and prey movement through the trees), and a few months ago there was film showing a gorilla walking bipedally.

          Bob

          >>> "lauratgonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...<mailto:ltgonzalez%40cox.net>> 03/09/11 5:44 PM >>>
          Does anyone use a good film to introduce students to primates? I've been using Life on Earth: Life in the Trees (with the wonderful David Attenborough) for so long that my VHS copy is finally giving up. As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist on DVD for the U.S., only in the UK, as it was originally a BBC "programme."

          Any thoughts on a good replacement that is a survey of the primates?
        • Dianne C
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
            "Clever Monkeys"

            http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/clever-monkeys/introduction/3946/

            http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/clever-monkeys/

            "Ape Genius"

            http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/apegenius/

            These are also good. "Clever Monkeys" is in the wild. "Ape Genius" is more about experiements regarding thinking and thought processes. BTW, I found out about these from Dorothy Davis.

            -- Dianne Chidester

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
              Consider checking out the Spring 2008 issue of AnthroNotes http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html
              that contains a lead article on The Anthropology of African Apes and an article on Teaching and Learning About the Great Apes with references that include a number of websites. Ann

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
                Thanks to all who gave your recommendations! :)

                Laura

                --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, Dianne C <dianneky@...> wrote:

                > "Clever Monkeys"
                >
                > http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/clever-monkeys/introduction/3946/
                >
                > http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/clever-monkeys/
                >

                > "Ape Genius"
                >
                > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/apegenius/
                >

                > These are also good. "Clever Monkeys" is in the wild. "Ape Genius" is more about experiements regarding thinking and thought processes. BTW, I found out about these from Dorothy Davis.
                >
                > -- Dianne Chidester
                >
                > > To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: deborah.shepherd@...
                > > Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:56:32 -0600
                > > Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Primate film recommendation?
                > >
                > > I like to spend more time on primate behavior and primate watching, so I show as many films as I can. "Among the Wild Chimpanzees" is still a great introduction. There's another older National Geographic film featuring Birute Galdikas and Dian Fossey. Both of those are great for a historical perspective. I haven't seen Champions of the Wild, but that sounds good. I look for sources on the internet since a majority of my students are online. Here are some:
                > >
                > > The Last Baboons of Good Hope
                > > http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/the_last_baboons_of_good_hope/
                > >
                > > Africa: Wilds of Madagascar (all species)
                > > http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/africa_wilds_of_madagascar/
                > >
                > > A Lemur's Tale
                > > http://video.pbs.org/video/1393225607/
                > >
                > > "The Life and Legend of Jane Goodall"
                > > Available through Films on Demand, if your library subscribes
                > >
                > > Last of the Orangutans - Borneo (Journeyman Pictures)
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtcWwIEJ60
                > >
                > > Living with Gorillas
                > > Also available through Films on Demand
                > >
                > > Ape Genius
                > > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/ape-genius.html
                > >
                > > The last one is spectacular.
                > >
                > > Don't forget to show them this website from The Jane Goodall Institute:
                > > http://www.discoverchimpanzees.org/
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • Dorothy Davis
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
                  It is not a survey of the primates, but my students love "Clever Monkeys"
                  from the Nature series, 2008. It has a great behavioral evolution theme.

                  On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone use a good film to introduce students to primates? I've been
                  > using Life on Earth: Life in the Trees (with the wonderful David
                  > Attenborough) for so long that my VHS copy is finally giving up. As far as I
                  > can tell, it doesn't exist on DVD for the U.S., only in the UK, as it was
                  > originally a BBC "programme."
                  >
                  > Any thoughts on a good replacement that is a survey of the primates?

                • Anthropmor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2011
                    Also from the Nature series, Lemurs - with John Cleese is a great intro to adaptive radiations, and ecology.
                    It is also quite entertaining, and available on DVD.
                    Mike Pavlik