I am looking for a SACC Volunteer!

  • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2011
      The Chair of the Committee on Practicing, Applied and Public Interest
      Anthropology (CoPAPIA) for the AAA is seeking a volunteer to assist in an
      assessment of "Third-Party Aggregator Packages" to see if the AAA can
      increase digital access of research collections to people without Research I
      university library privileges. This small project is being done in
      cooperation with the AAA Director of Publishing.

      We would like to add an anthropologist who works at a small community
      college to their working group. The plan is to test three packages that
      aggregate journal abstracts and full-text articles to see whether they have
      value and interest for anthropologists in community colleges. These are
      EBSCO, Wilson Social Science, and ProQuest Research Library.

      We're proposing to have the three vendors open access to their content for
      two weeks, and then have the members of our work team run the same search
      (of whatever they are individually interested in) on all three portals to
      evaluate them.

      *This assessment might take a few hours of time, but not too much, and
      hopefully you'd be able to download some content that relates to your
      current research interests so it would be worthwhile to you.*

      Ultimately, the working group is trying to determine if any of the
      aggregator packages would provide meaningful access to useful digital
      research tools; whether AAA members might be willing to pay a small fee to
      access these digital resources, and whether this access might be a member
      benefit that would attract new members to the AAA.

      If you are interested is assisting with this project, please contact me at
      ksharp@...! We would really like to have a volunteer in the next day
      or two!

      --
      Kathleen Terry-Sharp