Re: [SACC-L] Culture Lecture Ideas

  • Nikki Ives
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2011
      Some activities I do in my classes are:

      Talk about "culture and nature" - with pictures/discussion about how you eat and
      what happens once that food is digested varies from culture to culture (eating
      w/ a fork/chopsticks/hands; different types of toilets; different ways of using
      the toilet, etc.)

      Discuss and demonstrate different gestures (sign for OK in U.S. means money in
      Japan; thumbs up in many places means OK - but in some parts of the Middle East
      means F.U., etc...).

      Cultural and historical origins of shaking hands and bowing and how gestures of
      friendship vary - for example in many parts of Africa and the Middle East men
      hold hands - never would happen here in the U.S. and parts of Europe! I think
      there is a news clip out there with George Bush holding hands with someone from
      Saudi Arabia - and the clip is making fun of him - can lead to a great
      discussion on cultural differences/sensitivity.

      Discuss and demonstrate different animal sounds - I use U.S. and Japan but I'm
      sure you could find more online somewhere.

      I know these may sound juvenile but my students can't seem to get enough when we
      go over these on our unit on culture!

      Nicole Ives
      Prince George's Community College
      Largo, MD