Culture Lecture Ideas

  • Rebecca Stein
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
      Hello, all. This semester I am teaching a new class at our college -
      Social Science 1: Introduction to the Social Sciences. I am actually
      co-teaching with a sociologist and the class is part of a first-year
      experience program designed for first semester students whose English
      placement puts them one level below college English.

      So far we've discussed the different social sciences, methodology and some
      basic things like that and have tried to make it very activities-based. In
      a couple of weeks I am slated to do a unit on culture (around 4 hours
      worth). To be honest, I haven't done an intro cultural anthro class in
      well over a decade and back then didn't do much on the activity front. I
      thought I'd see if any SACC-ers had suggestions! How do you teach the
      culture concept? What kinds of activities do you use? I'd love to hear
      from Mel (cultural geography perspective) and anyone else whose done culture
      from a non-Anthro discipline since this is a social science intro. And keep
      in mind this a group of students who based on their English placement would
      be advised not to take a regular anthro course.

      Thanks!

      --Becky

      PS (I'll be emailing out a reminder about sending in your abstracts for the
      SACC conference in Omaha soon as the deadline gets closer, but since I'm
      already emailing, I thought I'd mention it here too.)

    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
        Becky: Some years back at UC San Diego (I was a visiting lecturer for a year before moving on, after finishing grad school) I taught one trimester of a 3-trimester sequence in Social Sciences. My "partners" were a political scientist and a sociologist. We tried to cover some of the same geographic regions, and even some similar topics, from our various discipline perspectives. One of the things I used was a series of American films -- some contemporary, some not. We read about a variety of cultures, but used the films (and these were shown in the evening, as a separate segment of the class or "lab" -- so maybe not practical in your setting), to try to convey a sense of American culture -- something that our students had very little sense of.

        I'm sure among SACCers there are lots of activities, and discreet ways to get at the culture concept, but this provided a kind of sub-text to the class, and as we read about other cultures, we also looked at ourselves through the films, and through common themes found in films from the 40's through about the 70's. Towards the end of the class we did a segment on Japan. We took one of the film evenings to watch the Seven Samurai (our non-American film), and the next week, the Magnificent Seven. It was such fun to experience "culture" in these two films that are so similar in story, but so very different in every other way.

        Mary Kay

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2011
          Becky, don't forget to check out the SACC website. We have several syllabi on intro anthro http://saccweb.net/?page_id=5 and variety of activities.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2011
            Some activities I do in my classes are:

            Talk about "culture and nature" - with pictures/discussion about how you eat and
            what happens once that food is digested varies from culture to culture (eating
            w/ a fork/chopsticks/hands; different types of toilets; different ways of using
            the toilet, etc.)

            Discuss and demonstrate different gestures (sign for OK in U.S. means money in
            Japan; thumbs up in many places means OK - but in some parts of the Middle East
            means F.U., etc...).

            Cultural and historical origins of shaking hands and bowing and how gestures of
            friendship vary - for example in many parts of Africa and the Middle East men
            hold hands - never would happen here in the U.S. and parts of Europe! I think
            there is a news clip out there with George Bush holding hands with someone from
            Saudi Arabia - and the clip is making fun of him - can lead to a great
            discussion on cultural differences/sensitivity.

            Discuss and demonstrate different animal sounds - I use U.S. and Japan but I'm
            sure you could find more online somewhere.

            I know these may sound juvenile but my students can't seem to get enough when we
            go over these on our unit on culture!

            Nicole Ives
            Prince George's Community College
            Largo, MD