Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
      "members only..."
      Too bad.  I'm interested.  I just fell off the edge of my chair.  Can you hint as to a summary of the "training" plan?  Always interested in what wheels are being re-invented....;-)

      Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
          Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
          Date: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am ((PST))

      I'm not able to open the link though it looks intact. Did they change it?
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
        The National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD)
        * Community College Leadership Program

        Department of Educational Administration * College of Education, The
        University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station, D5600, Austin, TX
        78712-0378

        Preparing Students for a

        Global Economy

        According to an ancient Chinese tale, once there

        was a frog that lived at the bottom of a shallow well.

        The extent of the frog's world was defined by what he

        could see by looking up at the sky. This frog's world

        was a small circle or slice of life; he had no awareness or

        knowledge of what lay beyond the scope of his vision.

        How many of our students are "frogs in the well?" And

        what are we doing as educators to push them up and

        out of their wells? Finally, are we providing them with

        the toolbox of skills they absolutely need to excel in a

        multicultural, global environment?

        Recently, I heard a statistic that spoke to the

        demographics that continue to shape our local and

        global identities, relationships, and perspectives. In

        the U.S., 2010 could be a demographic "tipping point."

        This year, the number of babies born to racial and

        ethnic minorities is likely to outnumber babies born to

        Whites. What is emerging is a cultural generation gap,

        in which the young are becoming much more racially

        and ethnically diverse than the old. This points to a

        cultural landscape that seems foreign to many, yet is

        becoming the norm in our classrooms and communities.

        For example, data from the Census Bureau show

        that some of the most common names in the U.S. are

        Garcia, Rodriquez, and Martinez, along with Smith,

        Johnson, and Wilson. Buying power for racial and ethnic

        minorities is increasing much faster than that of whites.

        And these trends cannot be analyzed apart from our

        growing global interdependence.

        Earlier this year, a survey by the American Association

        of Colleges and Universities asked employers to identify

        "essential learning outcomes" that are not getting the

        attention they deserve in higher education. At the top of

        their list were knowledge and skills related to cultural

        diversity and global issues. Moreover, employers

        emphasized that they need employees who can work

        together and problem-solve on diverse teams.

        The glaring gap between the cultural intelligence of

        our students and the global, rapidly changing cultural

        landscape they encounter in the workplace is a growing

        concern. Increasingly, employers, including businesses,

        government agencies, healthcare institutions, and the

        military, are placing more and more emphasis on the

        potential challenges and benefits of diversity. Why is

        diversity such a priority when organizations evaluate

        their marketing strategies, suppliers, training programs,

        hires, and core values? Simply put, it is because they

        understand the connection between diversity and their

        bottom line. Moreover, they realize that diversity, in

        and of itself, will not allow them to be more creative,

        productive, customer-oriented, and marketable

        automatically. Rather, cultural differences represent

        potential that can only be developed and leveraged if

        their employees have the requisite cultural intelligence.

        In Building Cultural Intelligence (CQ): Nine Megaskills,

        the author expounds on a skill-set that employers regard

        as a necessity, regardless of one's major or chosen career.

        In addition to technical competence, the following

        megaskills are no longer an "extra" or nice thing to

        have; rather, they have become a necessity.

        1. Understanding My Cultural Identity-

        understanding how we think about ourselves as

        well as the people and ways of life with which

        we identify

        2. Checking Cultural Lenses-recognizing the ways in

        which cultural backgrounds differ and how they

        influence thinking, behavior, and assumptions

        3. Global Consciousness-moving comfortably across

        boundaries and seeing the world from multiple

        perspectives and world views

        4. Shifting Perspectives-putting ourselves in the

        circumstances, cultures, and histories of others

        5. Managing Cross-Cultural Conflict-dealing with

        conflict among people from differing cultural

        backgrounds in a productive and constructive

        manner

        6. Dealing with Bias-recognizing bias in all its

        forms and responding to it effectively

        7. Understanding the Dynamics of Power-grasping

        how power and culture interrelate and the effect

        of power on how we see the world and relate to others

        8. Intercultural Communication-respectfully and

        effectively exchanging ideas and feelings across

        cultural boundaries

        9. Multicultural Teaming-working with others from

        diverse backgrounds to accomplish common goals

        for which team members hold themselves accountable

        How do we make it possible for students to develop

        this skill set? First, we need to target all students in all

        fields of study throughout their college experience.

        We can accomplish this in a variety of ways. Infusing

        relevant CQ megaskills across the curriculum is an

        excellent place to start. As an example, students in

        hospitality management must learn to collaborate and

        communicate cross-culturally in highly diverse settings.

        Servicing people with disabilities, managing people who

        are English language learners, and accommodating the

        needs of customers with diverse religious backgrounds

        are critical skills that need to be seamlessly integrated

        into this curriculum.

        At many colleges, learning communities organize

        around themes such as linguistic diversity, cross-cultural

        leadership, and global consciousness. By offering a wide

        range of learning communities, online and face-to-face,

        in residential settings, classrooms and beyond, colleges

        provide the "authentic space" students need to dialogue

        openly and honestly with each other and, in the process,

        learn more about their differences and commonalities.

        Such dialogues can teach students invaluable lessons

        about their upbringing and the cultural lens through

        which they view the world. More specifically, learning

        communities can heighten students' awareness of

        bias and other socially constructed barriers that make

        leadership, interpersonal interaction, and global

        consciousness more difficult. Furthermore, diverse

        learning communities can make it possible for students

        to experience what it is like being a minority or a cultural

        outsider for a prolonged period of time. In so doing,

        they emerge from their "wells," question cultural truths,

        and become more comfortable outside of their cultural

        comfort zone.

        By offering service learning, along with cultural

        immersion programs and study abroad, we provide

        students with invaluable opportunities to apply CQ

        megaskills in real-world settings. For instance, nursing

        students at one mid-western college learn to shift

        perspectives and think globally as they complete servicelearning

        projects with international communities.

        Moreover, pre- and post-test assessments measure their

        personal growth.

        Increasingly, requirements are in place at many

        institutions, ensuring exposure of all students to

        U.S. and/or global diversity, including scholarship

        on minorities, women, and world cultures. Equally

        important are faculty development programs that focus

        on integrative studies, new curricular models, and the

        cultural inclusiveness of what is taught and how it is

        taught.

        The success of initiatives to promote cultural

        intelligence hinges largely on the diversity and

        inclusiveness of the college community. The recruitment

        and retention of a culturally diverse population of

        faculty, staff, and students must be institutionalized

        and ongoing, along with the nurturing of partnerships

        with local and global communities. Strong institutional

        commitment and leadership are pivotal, moving far

        beyond food, festivals, flags, and public relations.

        Initiatives must be integrated and college-wide,

        and include learning outcomes and assessment,

        developmental education and first-year programs,

        faculty and staff development, student activities, and

        organizational partnerships.

        Richard D. Bucher, Professor, Sociology

        For further information contact the author at Baltimore

        City Community College, 2901 Liberty Heights Ave.,

        Baltimore, MD 21215. Email: rbucher@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
          I am unable to open the link as well.

          Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> deborah_j_shepherd
          Date: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am ((PST))

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
            Thanks, Dianne.
            To your comment re. new-age independent invention of old, old anthropological concepts:
            This reads more like a watered-down, generalized departmental policy notice than a re-invention of the anthropology wheel. Examples of such re-invention have included faculties of multicultural studies, comprised of sociologists, education faculty, ethnic studies and others who either wittingly or unwittingly make reference to old anthropological concepts while implying that the concepts are new. Statements to the effect that academic studies have never been made of matters anthropological, suggest sloppy scholarship.  The NISOD blurb makes no reference to any specific field, and doesn't seem to imply any righting-of-wrongs on some NISOD white horse.
            Such things used to be cross-listed pretty accurately, and people used to share anthro/sociol/psych/social work/educational/etc. concepts, albeit a bit grudgingly.  I found a political science reference once that cited an outmoded pronouncement by Durkheim (I've forgotten which one) as an example of anthropology, and then proceeded to discuss the inadequacy of anthropology on that basis.
            The disconnect today seems to have something to do with disagreements over how and whether to advocate politically, and the need for folks to be "activists."  (Some have even pointed out that the decision to remain "apolitical" is itself a political decision....)
            We all recognize this as a bit of a mess for one reason or another, and tied up in whether academics can engage in public relations.
            Thanks again.  I think the NISOD piece does illustrate some kind of watering-down, if not quite a dumbing-down.  Reduction of anthropology to some bureaucratic cook-book fact sheet can seem frustrating without a lot of explanation behind it.  That explanation seems to have been beyond the writers' scope of work or even job description, but who knows?  It could be useful as a first-lecture guide, with the instructor and class engaging in basic critique.
            :-)

            Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
                Posted by: "dianne.chidester@..." dianne.chidester@...
                Date: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am ((PST))

[...]

            This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.