RE: [SACC-L] RE: Staff training on cross cultural issues

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2011
      Sorry about this. Evidently this can only be viewed by member
      institutions. Hmmm.

      --- Dianne

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
        "members only..."
        Too bad.  I'm interested.  I just fell off the edge of my chair.  Can you hint as to a summary of the "training" plan?  Always interested in what wheels are being re-invented....;-)

        Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
            Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
          The National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD)
          * Community College Leadership Program

          Department of Educational Administration * College of Education, The
          University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station, D5600, Austin, TX
          78712-0378

          Preparing Students for a

          Global Economy

          According to an ancient Chinese tale, once there

          was a frog that lived at the bottom of a shallow well.

          The extent of the frog's world was defined by what he

          could see by looking up at the sky. This frog's world

          was a small circle or slice of life; he had no awareness or

          knowledge of what lay beyond the scope of his vision.

          How many of our students are "frogs in the well?" And

          what are we doing as educators to push them up and

          out of their wells? Finally, are we providing them with

          the toolbox of skills they absolutely need to excel in a

          multicultural, global environment?

          Recently, I heard a statistic that spoke to the

          demographics that continue to shape our local and

          global identities, relationships, and perspectives. In

          the U.S., 2010 could be a demographic "tipping point."

          This year, the number of babies born to racial and

          ethnic minorities is likely to outnumber babies born to

          Whites. What is emerging is a cultural generation gap,

          in which the young are becoming much more racially

          and ethnically diverse than the old. This points to a

          cultural landscape that seems foreign to many, yet is

          becoming the norm in our classrooms and communities.

          For example, data from the Census Bureau show

          that some of the most common names in the U.S. are

          Garcia, Rodriquez, and Martinez, along with Smith,

          Johnson, and Wilson. Buying power for racial and ethnic

          minorities is increasing much faster than that of whites.

          And these trends cannot be analyzed apart from our

          growing global interdependence.

          Earlier this year, a survey by the American Association

          of Colleges and Universities asked employers to identify

          "essential learning outcomes" that are not getting the

          attention they deserve in higher education. At the top of

          their list were knowledge and skills related to cultural

          diversity and global issues. Moreover, employers

          emphasized that they need employees who can work

          together and problem-solve on diverse teams.

          The glaring gap between the cultural intelligence of

          our students and the global, rapidly changing cultural

          landscape they encounter in the workplace is a growing

          concern. Increasingly, employers, including businesses,

          government agencies, healthcare institutions, and the

          military, are placing more and more emphasis on the

          potential challenges and benefits of diversity. Why is

          diversity such a priority when organizations evaluate

          their marketing strategies, suppliers, training programs,

          hires, and core values? Simply put, it is because they

          understand the connection between diversity and their

          bottom line. Moreover, they realize that diversity, in

          and of itself, will not allow them to be more creative,

          productive, customer-oriented, and marketable

          automatically. Rather, cultural differences represent

          potential that can only be developed and leveraged if

          their employees have the requisite cultural intelligence.

          In Building Cultural Intelligence (CQ): Nine Megaskills,

          the author expounds on a skill-set that employers regard

          as a necessity, regardless of one's major or chosen career.

          In addition to technical competence, the following

          megaskills are no longer an "extra" or nice thing to

          have; rather, they have become a necessity.

          1. Understanding My Cultural Identity-

          understanding how we think about ourselves as

          well as the people and ways of life with which

          we identify

          2. Checking Cultural Lenses-recognizing the ways in

          which cultural backgrounds differ and how they

          influence thinking, behavior, and assumptions

          3. Global Consciousness-moving comfortably across

          boundaries and seeing the world from multiple

          perspectives and world views

          4. Shifting Perspectives-putting ourselves in the

          circumstances, cultures, and histories of others

          5. Managing Cross-Cultural Conflict-dealing with

          conflict among people from differing cultural

          backgrounds in a productive and constructive

          manner

          6. Dealing with Bias-recognizing bias in all its

          forms and responding to it effectively

          7. Understanding the Dynamics of Power-grasping

          how power and culture interrelate and the effect

          of power on how we see the world and relate to others

          8. Intercultural Communication-respectfully and

          effectively exchanging ideas and feelings across

          cultural boundaries

          9. Multicultural Teaming-working with others from

          diverse backgrounds to accomplish common goals

          for which team members hold themselves accountable

          How do we make it possible for students to develop

          this skill set? First, we need to target all students in all

          fields of study throughout their college experience.

          We can accomplish this in a variety of ways. Infusing

          relevant CQ megaskills across the curriculum is an

          excellent place to start. As an example, students in

          hospitality management must learn to collaborate and

          communicate cross-culturally in highly diverse settings.

          Servicing people with disabilities, managing people who

          are English language learners, and accommodating the

          needs of customers with diverse religious backgrounds

          are critical skills that need to be seamlessly integrated

          into this curriculum.

          At many colleges, learning communities organize

          around themes such as linguistic diversity, cross-cultural

          leadership, and global consciousness. By offering a wide

          range of learning communities, online and face-to-face,

          in residential settings, classrooms and beyond, colleges

          provide the "authentic space" students need to dialogue

          openly and honestly with each other and, in the process,

          learn more about their differences and commonalities.

          Such dialogues can teach students invaluable lessons

          about their upbringing and the cultural lens through

          which they view the world. More specifically, learning

          communities can heighten students' awareness of

          bias and other socially constructed barriers that make

          leadership, interpersonal interaction, and global

          consciousness more difficult. Furthermore, diverse

          learning communities can make it possible for students

          to experience what it is like being a minority or a cultural

          outsider for a prolonged period of time. In so doing,

          they emerge from their "wells," question cultural truths,

          and become more comfortable outside of their cultural

          comfort zone.

          By offering service learning, along with cultural

          immersion programs and study abroad, we provide

          students with invaluable opportunities to apply CQ

          megaskills in real-world settings. For instance, nursing

          students at one mid-western college learn to shift

          perspectives and think globally as they complete servicelearning

          projects with international communities.

          Moreover, pre- and post-test assessments measure their

          personal growth.

          Increasingly, requirements are in place at many

          institutions, ensuring exposure of all students to

          U.S. and/or global diversity, including scholarship

          on minorities, women, and world cultures. Equally

          important are faculty development programs that focus

          on integrative studies, new curricular models, and the

          cultural inclusiveness of what is taught and how it is

          taught.

          The success of initiatives to promote cultural

          intelligence hinges largely on the diversity and

          inclusiveness of the college community. The recruitment

          and retention of a culturally diverse population of

          faculty, staff, and students must be institutionalized

          and ongoing, along with the nurturing of partnerships

          with local and global communities. Strong institutional

          commitment and leadership are pivotal, moving far

          beyond food, festivals, flags, and public relations.

          Initiatives must be integrated and college-wide,

          and include learning outcomes and assessment,

          developmental education and first-year programs,

          faculty and staff development, student activities, and

          organizational partnerships.

          Richard D. Bucher, Professor, Sociology

          For further information contact the author at Baltimore

          City Community College, 2901 Liberty Heights Ave.,

          Baltimore, MD 21215. Email: rbucher@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
            I am unable to open the link as well.

            Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> deborah_j_shepherd
            Date: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am ((PST))

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
              Thanks, Dianne.
              To your comment re. new-age independent invention of old, old anthropological concepts:
              This reads more like a watered-down, generalized departmental policy notice than a re-invention of the anthropology wheel. Examples of such re-invention have included faculties of multicultural studies, comprised of sociologists, education faculty, ethnic studies and others who either wittingly or unwittingly make reference to old anthropological concepts while implying that the concepts are new. Statements to the effect that academic studies have never been made of matters anthropological, suggest sloppy scholarship.  The NISOD blurb makes no reference to any specific field, and doesn't seem to imply any righting-of-wrongs on some NISOD white horse.
              Such things used to be cross-listed pretty accurately, and people used to share anthro/sociol/psych/social work/educational/etc. concepts, albeit a bit grudgingly.  I found a political science reference once that cited an outmoded pronouncement by Durkheim (I've forgotten which one) as an example of anthropology, and then proceeded to discuss the inadequacy of anthropology on that basis.
              The disconnect today seems to have something to do with disagreements over how and whether to advocate politically, and the need for folks to be "activists."  (Some have even pointed out that the decision to remain "apolitical" is itself a political decision....)
              We all recognize this as a bit of a mess for one reason or another, and tied up in whether academics can engage in public relations.
              Thanks again.  I think the NISOD piece does illustrate some kind of watering-down, if not quite a dumbing-down.  Reduction of anthropology to some bureaucratic cook-book fact sheet can seem frustrating without a lot of explanation behind it.  That explanation seems to have been beyond the writers' scope of work or even job description, but who knows?  It could be useful as a first-lecture guide, with the instructor and class engaging in basic critique.
              :-)

              Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
                  Posted by: "dianne.chidester@..." dianne.chidester@...
                  Date: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am ((PST))

[...]

              This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.