FW: Staff training on cross cultural issues

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2011
      I thought y'all might find this interesting. We received this from our
      deans and vp. The ideas of anthropology are constantly being
      "discovered". -- Dianne

      http://theticker.gvltec.edu/reports/innovation%20abstracts%202-4-11.pdf

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2011
          Sorry about this. Evidently this can only be viewed by member
          institutions. Hmmm.

          --- Dianne

          I'm not able to open the link though it looks intact. Did they change
          it?
          ________________________________
          I thought y'all might find this interesting. We received this from our
          deans and vp. The ideas of anthropology are constantly being
          "discovered". -- Dianne

          http://theticker.gvltec.edu/reports/innovation%20abstracts%202-4-11.pdf

          reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
          of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
          free of viruses and malware.

        • George Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
            "members only..."
            Too bad.  I'm interested.  I just fell off the edge of my chair.  Can you hint as to a summary of the "training" plan?  Always interested in what wheels are being re-invented....;-)

            Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
                Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
              The National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD)
              * Community College Leadership Program

              Department of Educational Administration * College of Education, The
              University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station, D5600, Austin, TX
              78712-0378

              Preparing Students for a

              Global Economy

              According to an ancient Chinese tale, once there

              was a frog that lived at the bottom of a shallow well.

              The extent of the frog's world was defined by what he

              could see by looking up at the sky. This frog's world

              was a small circle or slice of life; he had no awareness or

              knowledge of what lay beyond the scope of his vision.

              How many of our students are "frogs in the well?" And

              what are we doing as educators to push them up and

              out of their wells? Finally, are we providing them with

              the toolbox of skills they absolutely need to excel in a

              multicultural, global environment?

              Recently, I heard a statistic that spoke to the

              demographics that continue to shape our local and

              global identities, relationships, and perspectives. In

              the U.S., 2010 could be a demographic "tipping point."

              This year, the number of babies born to racial and

              ethnic minorities is likely to outnumber babies born to

              Whites. What is emerging is a cultural generation gap,

              in which the young are becoming much more racially

              and ethnically diverse than the old. This points to a

              cultural landscape that seems foreign to many, yet is

              becoming the norm in our classrooms and communities.

              For example, data from the Census Bureau show

              that some of the most common names in the U.S. are

              Garcia, Rodriquez, and Martinez, along with Smith,

              Johnson, and Wilson. Buying power for racial and ethnic

              minorities is increasing much faster than that of whites.

              And these trends cannot be analyzed apart from our

              growing global interdependence.

              Earlier this year, a survey by the American Association

              of Colleges and Universities asked employers to identify

              "essential learning outcomes" that are not getting the

              attention they deserve in higher education. At the top of

              their list were knowledge and skills related to cultural

              diversity and global issues. Moreover, employers

              emphasized that they need employees who can work

              together and problem-solve on diverse teams.

              The glaring gap between the cultural intelligence of

              our students and the global, rapidly changing cultural

              landscape they encounter in the workplace is a growing

              concern. Increasingly, employers, including businesses,

              government agencies, healthcare institutions, and the

              military, are placing more and more emphasis on the

              potential challenges and benefits of diversity. Why is

              diversity such a priority when organizations evaluate

              their marketing strategies, suppliers, training programs,

              hires, and core values? Simply put, it is because they

              understand the connection between diversity and their

              bottom line. Moreover, they realize that diversity, in

              and of itself, will not allow them to be more creative,

              productive, customer-oriented, and marketable

              automatically. Rather, cultural differences represent

              potential that can only be developed and leveraged if

              their employees have the requisite cultural intelligence.

              In Building Cultural Intelligence (CQ): Nine Megaskills,

              the author expounds on a skill-set that employers regard

              as a necessity, regardless of one's major or chosen career.

              In addition to technical competence, the following

              megaskills are no longer an "extra" or nice thing to

              have; rather, they have become a necessity.

              1. Understanding My Cultural Identity-

              understanding how we think about ourselves as

              well as the people and ways of life with which

              we identify

              2. Checking Cultural Lenses-recognizing the ways in

              which cultural backgrounds differ and how they

              influence thinking, behavior, and assumptions

              3. Global Consciousness-moving comfortably across

              boundaries and seeing the world from multiple

              perspectives and world views

              4. Shifting Perspectives-putting ourselves in the

              circumstances, cultures, and histories of others

              5. Managing Cross-Cultural Conflict-dealing with

              conflict among people from differing cultural

              backgrounds in a productive and constructive

              manner

              6. Dealing with Bias-recognizing bias in all its

              forms and responding to it effectively

              7. Understanding the Dynamics of Power-grasping

              how power and culture interrelate and the effect

              of power on how we see the world and relate to others

              8. Intercultural Communication-respectfully and

              effectively exchanging ideas and feelings across

              cultural boundaries

              9. Multicultural Teaming-working with others from

              diverse backgrounds to accomplish common goals

              for which team members hold themselves accountable

              How do we make it possible for students to develop

              this skill set? First, we need to target all students in all

              fields of study throughout their college experience.

              We can accomplish this in a variety of ways. Infusing

              relevant CQ megaskills across the curriculum is an

              excellent place to start. As an example, students in

              hospitality management must learn to collaborate and

              communicate cross-culturally in highly diverse settings.

              Servicing people with disabilities, managing people who

              are English language learners, and accommodating the

              needs of customers with diverse religious backgrounds

              are critical skills that need to be seamlessly integrated

              into this curriculum.

              At many colleges, learning communities organize

              around themes such as linguistic diversity, cross-cultural

              leadership, and global consciousness. By offering a wide

              range of learning communities, online and face-to-face,

              in residential settings, classrooms and beyond, colleges

              provide the "authentic space" students need to dialogue

              openly and honestly with each other and, in the process,

              learn more about their differences and commonalities.

              Such dialogues can teach students invaluable lessons

              about their upbringing and the cultural lens through

              which they view the world. More specifically, learning

              communities can heighten students' awareness of

              bias and other socially constructed barriers that make

              leadership, interpersonal interaction, and global

              consciousness more difficult. Furthermore, diverse

              learning communities can make it possible for students

              to experience what it is like being a minority or a cultural

              outsider for a prolonged period of time. In so doing,

              they emerge from their "wells," question cultural truths,

              and become more comfortable outside of their cultural

              comfort zone.

              By offering service learning, along with cultural

              immersion programs and study abroad, we provide

              students with invaluable opportunities to apply CQ

              megaskills in real-world settings. For instance, nursing

              students at one mid-western college learn to shift

              perspectives and think globally as they complete servicelearning

              projects with international communities.

              Moreover, pre- and post-test assessments measure their

              personal growth.

              Increasingly, requirements are in place at many

              institutions, ensuring exposure of all students to

              U.S. and/or global diversity, including scholarship

              on minorities, women, and world cultures. Equally

              important are faculty development programs that focus

              on integrative studies, new curricular models, and the

              cultural inclusiveness of what is taught and how it is

              taught.

              The success of initiatives to promote cultural

              intelligence hinges largely on the diversity and

              inclusiveness of the college community. The recruitment

              and retention of a culturally diverse population of

              faculty, staff, and students must be institutionalized

              and ongoing, along with the nurturing of partnerships

              with local and global communities. Strong institutional

              commitment and leadership are pivotal, moving far

              beyond food, festivals, flags, and public relations.

              Initiatives must be integrated and college-wide,

              and include learning outcomes and assessment,

              developmental education and first-year programs,

              faculty and staff development, student activities, and

              organizational partnerships.

              Richard D. Bucher, Professor, Sociology

              For further information contact the author at Baltimore

              City Community College, 2901 Liberty Heights Ave.,

              Baltimore, MD 21215. Email: rbucher@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2011
                I am unable to open the link as well.

                Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> deborah_j_shepherd
                Date: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am ((PST))

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19, 2011
                  Thanks, Dianne.
                  To your comment re. new-age independent invention of old, old anthropological concepts:
                  This reads more like a watered-down, generalized departmental policy notice than a re-invention of the anthropology wheel. Examples of such re-invention have included faculties of multicultural studies, comprised of sociologists, education faculty, ethnic studies and others who either wittingly or unwittingly make reference to old anthropological concepts while implying that the concepts are new. Statements to the effect that academic studies have never been made of matters anthropological, suggest sloppy scholarship.  The NISOD blurb makes no reference to any specific field, and doesn't seem to imply any righting-of-wrongs on some NISOD white horse.
                  Such things used to be cross-listed pretty accurately, and people used to share anthro/sociol/psych/social work/educational/etc. concepts, albeit a bit grudgingly.  I found a political science reference once that cited an outmoded pronouncement by Durkheim (I've forgotten which one) as an example of anthropology, and then proceeded to discuss the inadequacy of anthropology on that basis.
                  The disconnect today seems to have something to do with disagreements over how and whether to advocate politically, and the need for folks to be "activists."  (Some have even pointed out that the decision to remain "apolitical" is itself a political decision....)
                  We all recognize this as a bit of a mess for one reason or another, and tied up in whether academics can engage in public relations.
                  Thanks again.  I think the NISOD piece does illustrate some kind of watering-down, if not quite a dumbing-down.  Reduction of anthropology to some bureaucratic cook-book fact sheet can seem frustrating without a lot of explanation behind it.  That explanation seems to have been beyond the writers' scope of work or even job description, but who knows?  It could be useful as a first-lecture guide, with the instructor and class engaging in basic critique.
                  :-)

                  Re: Staff training on cross cultural issues
                      Posted by: "dianne.chidester@..." dianne.chidester@...
                      Date: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am ((PST))

[...]

                  This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.