Question about German memorial item

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2000
      Question about German memorial item

      Some German colleagues (psychologists)  arrived for a professional visit with my father and brought him a very nice, but mysterious, object that I am hoping someone can enlighten us about.

       These visitors arrived with a bouquet of artificial flowers and a strip of stiff white cloth about three feet long and eight inches wide.  Their names are embroidered on one end and "In Memoriam  ..." with my mother's name at the other. She died at the end of May.

      Is my father supposed to hang this thing over a chair?  Around a mirror?   Pack it carefully away and look at it once in a while?

      What are these things called?  (It will make writing the thank you note a LOT easier!)

      What is the historical derivation?

      Thanks in advance!!

      Ann Popplestone

      CCC TLC