Re: [SACC-L] NEH Summer Institute on African American Biography: Deadline March 1

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      Ann, Mel and Dianne,

      I think it was a good idea to post this on the listserv, and while I don't know personally the organizer, Prof. Paynter, let me give a brief testimonial about National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminars.

      In the mid-1970s, just after I had become dept. director of social and behavioral sciences (a non-teaching administrative position I held for eight years before returning to teaching), I applied for an NEH Summer Seminar under (the late) Solon T. Kimball's direction at the U of FL-Gainesville on American Civilization. While I was familiar with Kimball's theories on culture and community and on education generally, I knew precious little about the topics he was going to deal with in the seminar.

      Surprisingly to me, I was selected. Settled with my wife and two small children in a rented on-campus apartment (in 1975, the stipend sufficiently covered most expenses), I spent half of a summer in the close company of Kimball and eleven others from various institutions and backgrounds in a most rewarding and intellectually stimulating academic experience. The opportunity to work closely with Kimball for that period was itself worth the effort.

      I say this to emphasize that these seminars are not designed to gather people already expert in the topics, but rather to broaden people's horizons, the kinds of experiences many of us believe education ought to be about. The fact that Prof. Paynter asked Mel to share this announcement with SACC members suggests to me that those of you who apply will be given serious consideration.

      Good Luck!

      Lloyd