My regrets concerning Ellen Johnson

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hello friends and colleagues in SACC,
      I would like to express my regrets and sense of loss about the recent passing of Ellen Johnson. I remember her very fondly from the numerous SACC conferences I attended in earlier years, at which I always looked forward to seeing her, conversing with her, and enjoying her great smile and spirit, which I always thought harbored a true spirit of anthropological knowledge and adventure, and a passion for teaching and education. One a personal note, I remember Ellen as a great lover of dance and the arts, and especially all of the beautiful native jewelry she would wear. She was one of the early founders/supporters of SACC, and I will recall her as a warm and friendly person, and an inspirational and creative educator and anthropologist. I think that she was one of those people who has left the world a bit of a better place through all of the lives she touched as an educator, friend and colleague. Ellen will know what I mean when I bid farewell with "Happy Trails to You".
    • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
        Barry

        With your permission, I am going to quote some of your comments for an
        obit on Ellen.

        Chuck Ellenbaum

        On Jan 6, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Barry wrote:

        > Hello friends and colleagues in SACC,
        > I would like to express my regrets and sense of loss about the
        > recent passing of Ellen Johnson. I remember her very fondly from the
        > numerous SACC conferences I attended in earlier years, at which I
        > always looked forward to seeing her, conversing with her, and
        > enjoying her great smile and spirit, which I always thought harbored
        > a true spirit of anthropological knowledge and adventure, and a
        > passion for teaching and education. One a personal note, I remember
        > Ellen as a great lover of dance and the arts, and especially all of
        > the beautiful native jewelry she would wear. She was one of the
        > early founders/supporters of SACC, and I will recall her as a warm
        > and friendly person, and an inspirational and creative educator and
        > anthropologist. I think that she was one of those people who has
        > left the world a bit of a better place through all of the lives she
        > touched as an educator, friend and colleague. Ellen will know what I
        > mean when I bid farewell with "Happy Trails to You".

      • Barry Kass
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
          Sure, Chuck, that would be fine.
          Regards,
          Barry

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
            I agree Chuck...Barry said what I was feeling about her also...but better...thanks Barry.

            Mark Lewine

            _____

            With your permission, I am going to quote some of your comments for an
            obit on Ellen.

            Chuck Ellenbaum

            On Jan 6, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Barry wrote:

            > Hello friends and colleagues in SACC,
            > I would like to express my regrets and sense of loss about the
            > recent passing of Ellen Johnson. I remember her very fondly from the
            > numerous SACC conferences I attended in earlier years, at which I
            > always looked forward to seeing her, conversing with her, and
            > enjoying her great smile and spirit, which I always thought harbored
            > a true spirit of anthropological knowledge and adventure, and a
            > passion for teaching and education. One a personal note, I remember
            > Ellen as a great lover of dance and the arts, and especially all of
            > the beautiful native jewelry she would wear. She was one of the
            > early founders/supporters of SACC, and I will recall her as a warm
            > and friendly person, and an inspirational and creative educator and
            > anthropologist. I think that she was one of those people who has
            > left the world a bit of a better place through all of the lives she
            > touched as an educator, friend and colleague. Ellen will know what I
            > mean when I bid farewell with "Happy Trails to You".

          • Patricia Hamlen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2011
              Chuck,
              I just wanted to double check to see if the arrangements forwarded from COD are still correct. Service tomorrow in Naperville at the Unitarian Church at 2 for Ellen?
              I am trying to get there,
              Pat

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2011
                Pat

                Sorry I did not get back to you in time. I don't check my email
                every day. Best way of contact is through my cell (630-404-1261) by
                call or text. Hope al is going well with you and yours. Ellen's
                death has been a shock.

                Chuck ><>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2011
                  No problem Chuck, I was able to come with Vickie Giambrone and sit with
                  Vickie Root. It was a wonderful turn-out for Ellen.
                  Best wishes,