Re: [SACC-L] Ellen Johnson

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
      my condolences as well.

      ike Pavlik

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
      To: SACC <SACC-L@...>
      Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 2011 12:43 am
      Subject: [SACC-L] Ellen Johnson

      Dear colleagues,

      Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will be missed.

    • JARRETT PHIPPS
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
        I did not know Ellen, but I lost my sister this summer, and I know how difficult this is. My thoughts and prayers go out to you her friends and to her family.
        Jarrett
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Ms. Jarrett Phipps
        History and Anthropology

        ________________________________
        Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will be missed.

      • Gilliland, Mary
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
          I would like to join with my colleagues in remembering Ellen as a bright, energetic colleague, teacher, anthropologist and friend. She was a member of SACC long before I came to the group, and extended her welcome to me and other newcomers since then. I will remember her "paper hopping" at the New Orleans meetings in particular, with amazing energy and engagement. The loss of Ellen in our community will be felt by all of us. I will miss her beautiful smile, wonderful ideas and unfailing energy.

          Mary Kay Gilliland
          Pima Community College, Tucson

          On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:

          > Dear colleagues,
          >
          > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
          > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
          > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
          > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
          > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
          > be missed.
          >
          > Lloyd

        • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
            Friends

            This is devastating news. Ellen was a positive, funny, compassionate
            friend. I worked with her for decades at College of DuPage and SACC.
            I will miss her a lot. There is an Ellen-Shaped void in my life and
            in SACC.

            Chuck Ellenbaum ><>

            On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:

            > Dear colleagues,
            >
            > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
            > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
            > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
            > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
            > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
            > be missed.
            >
            > Lloyd

          • Rebecca Cramer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
              She had the most amazing and wonderful laugh.  If I walked into a crowded room and heard her rip one, I would immediately be able to pinpoint her position.   I think it reflected the joy she found in the world around her.
              Journey on, Ellen.

              Beca

              Rebecca Cramer
              missiontosonora@...
              http://rcramer.web.arizona.edu

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                Her husband Phil has not responded yet...he is not well himself and he has been working with Ellen's family to get her back to Napierville, though he himself did not think she could survive a flight...so we who love her must be content that she was kept from more suffering...but I still think of her dancing in the streets, jumping on a cable car with me in San Francisco, greeting me and Sally at her family cottage in her beloved Lakeside every Spring with that smile between those rosy cheeks, doggedly going to every Asian session at every AAA meeting, reading and keeping every anthropology book ever written for students...