Re: [SACC-L] Ellen Johnson

  • Ann Bragdon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
      I join with the SACC community in recognizing Ellen's contributions at
      meetings over the years. Her experience as a college faculty member
      and educator was instructive. Her positive contributions to
      discussions and strong collegiality will be missed at SACC meetings.
      She shared the SACC supper (and wine) in New Orleans after the 5-
      fields presentation this year.
      Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.
      Ann Bragdon

      On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:

      > Dear colleagues,
      >
      > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
      > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
      > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
      > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
      > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
      > be missed.
      >
      > Lloyd

    • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hello All SACC Members-
        I am terribly sorry to hear about Ellen's passing. I have passed the
        information on to Amy Goldenburg, AN editor, and informed the staff.

        Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

        Kathleen Terry-Sharp
        AAA

        On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ann Bragdon <ANNBRAG@...> wrote:

        > I join with the SACC community in recognizing Ellen's contributions at
        > meetings over the years. Her experience as a college faculty member
        > and educator was instructive. Her positive contributions to
        > discussions and strong collegiality will be missed at SACC meetings.
        > She shared the SACC supper (and wine) in New Orleans after the 5-
        > fields presentation this year.
        > Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.
        > Ann Bragdon
        >

        > On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:
        >
        > > Dear colleagues,
        > >
        > > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
        > > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
        > > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
        > > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
        > > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
        > > be missed.
        > >
        > > Lloyd

        Kathleen Terry-Sharp
        Director, Academic Relations
        Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
        American Anthropological Association
        2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
        Arlington, VA 22201
        Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
        web: www.aaanet.org

      • Anthropmor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
          my condolences as well.

          ike Pavlik

          Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will be missed.

        • JARRETT PHIPPS
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
            I did not know Ellen, but I lost my sister this summer, and I know how difficult this is. My thoughts and prayers go out to you her friends and to her family.
            Jarrett
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Ms. Jarrett Phipps
            History and Anthropology

            ________________________________
            Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will be missed.

          • Gilliland, Mary
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
              I would like to join with my colleagues in remembering Ellen as a bright, energetic colleague, teacher, anthropologist and friend. She was a member of SACC long before I came to the group, and extended her welcome to me and other newcomers since then. I will remember her "paper hopping" at the New Orleans meetings in particular, with amazing energy and engagement. The loss of Ellen in our community will be felt by all of us. I will miss her beautiful smile, wonderful ideas and unfailing energy.

              Mary Kay Gilliland
              Pima Community College, Tucson

              On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:

              > Dear colleagues,
              >
              > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
              > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
              > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
              > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
              > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
              > be missed.
              >
              > Lloyd

            • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                Friends

                This is devastating news. Ellen was a positive, funny, compassionate
                friend. I worked with her for decades at College of DuPage and SACC.
                I will miss her a lot. There is an Ellen-Shaped void in my life and
                in SACC.

                Chuck Ellenbaum ><>

                On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Lloyd Miller wrote:

                > Dear colleagues,
                >
                > Bill Byrne wrote a few hours ago to say that Ellen Johnson died
                > Sunday in Siberia. The shock and pain that her family must be
                > feeling is to me unimaginable. I've known Ellen since 1990 when I
                > joined SACC and have always looked forward to her cheerful and
                > upbeat presence at conferences. Her death is a tragedy and she will
                > be missed.
                >
                > Lloyd

              • Rebecca Cramer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                  She had the most amazing and wonderful laugh.  If I walked into a crowded room and heard her rip one, I would immediately be able to pinpoint her position.   I think it reflected the joy she found in the world around her.
                  Journey on, Ellen.

                  Beca

                  Rebecca Cramer
                  missiontosonora@...
                  http://rcramer.web.arizona.edu

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Her husband Phil has not responded yet...he is not well himself and he has been working with Ellen's family to get her back to Napierville, though he himself did not think she could survive a flight...so we who love her must be content that she was kept from more suffering...but I still think of her dancing in the streets, jumping on a cable car with me in San Francisco, greeting me and Sally at her family cottage in her beloved Lakeside every Spring with that smile between those rosy cheeks, doggedly going to every Asian session at every AAA meeting, reading and keeping every anthropology book ever written for students...