resources on Native Americans

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
      An historian colleague asked me to recommend one or several works on Native Americans that would help him prepare an introductory lecture for his Western Civilization course. He says he's never been completely satisfied with what historians offer on the subject and would like some solid, up-to-date material that doesn't slight anthropology. Any recommendations?

      Thanks,

      Lloyd
    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
        Lloyd,

        Here are several suggested resources on Native Americans:

        "The Handbook of North American Indians" is a great source. Most volumes are specific to a culture area, but there are also complete and separate volumes on 'Indian-White Relations/History'; Languages; and Indians in Contemporary Times

        "Native American History for Dummies" (2008) isn't as dumb as it sounds. One of the authors is Dorothy Lippert who is a well-known Native archaeologist who works at the Smithsonian. (This is much better than the 'Idiot's Guide to Native American History').

        The standard anthropological overview texts on the topic are "An Intoduction to Native North America" by Mark Sutton (now maybe in the 4th edition); "North American Indians: A Comprehensive Account" by Alice Kehoe (at least three editions); and "This Land was Theirs" by Wendell Oswalt (at least seven editions). These all take a culture area approach (eg. focussing on traditional lifeways and history in each area).

        "A Companion to the Anthropology of American Indians" edited by Thomas Biolsi (2008) has 27 chapters written by leading scholars. It is organized into six sections (Environ and Pop; Political, Social, and Economic Org; Knowledge and Expressive Culture; Colonialism, Native Sovereignty, Lawy, and Policy; Cultural Politics and the Colonial Situation; and Anthropological Method and Postcolonial Practice)

        "A Cambridge History of the Native Peoples of the America, Vol 1: North America" (mostly history, but it does include contributions by anthropologists)

        "North American Indians: a Very Short Introduction" is in the "Very Short....." series published by Oxford. This one is okay, and like the rest in the series, it is short. It is recent (2010), and focusses on the last 500 years.

        There is a book called "1492" that is decent. I forget the author's name.

        I'm almost finished my own book ('The Indigenous Peoples of North America), which will hopefully be in print before the end of 2011.

        Bob

        >>> Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> 12/28/10 10:48 AM >>>
        An historian colleague asked me to recommend one or several works on Native Americans that would help him prepare an introductory lecture for his Western Civilization course. He says he's never been completely satisfied with what historians offer on the subject and would like some solid, up-to-date material that doesn't slight anthropology. Any recommendations?

        Thanks,

        Lloyd
      • frank lagana
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
          1491, Charles Mann

          America Before the European Invasion, Alice Kehoe.

          Hope that helps.

          frank