Re: Students stretch truth on teacher evaluations, UNI professor's study

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2010
      Lloyd, this is a good one.
      I can identify.  In fact I think I'll forward a copy to my admin folks.
      My "gut suspicion", THOROUGHLY confirmed in "the field," is a match with the article. The better the grades, the better the evaluations.
      Clearly there is some other criterion (nay..... numerous interacting criteria) besides honest evaluation of instructor "performance" with an eye to "holding faculty accountable."  I recall suspecting that very same thing as a student way, way back when they passed "evaluation forms" around in the 1960s at the old U.
      (It is to laugh.  Ha-ha.)
      My particular student body has apparently mastered the T-F-Multiple-Surmise, ostensibly "objective" testing format to the point where a ridiculous number of them score high.  Unquestionably, most grades would plummet if I switched to essay tests.  Once I figure out how to score such tests quickly, I just may do that.  As to actual assigned essays, again my particular "student body" has adopted the plagiarism tactic to such an extent that no pleading, threats or admonitions do any good.  Matters got so out of hand that I discontinued all but a very few "short answer" questions on tests, and many students simply chose to leave them blank.
      And boy-howdy, there really were "negative evaluations" on punishments for plagiarism.
      But it's nothing new: Teaching gurus have long reassured us all that, of 100 students in any number of classes, about 4 or 5 actually gain a constructive learning experience.  The other 95 have apparently moved on to more modern modes of going through the academic motions.
      But don't lose heart!......:-)

      George Thomas

      (P.S.  OK, OK, that's hyperbole.  Make that 9 or 10 out of every 100.....)

      Students stretch truth on teacher evaluations, UNI professor's study
          Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
          Date: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:37 pm ((PST))

      You have been sent an online news article from Lloyd Miller as a courtesy of DesMoinesRegister.com.

      Article Title:
      Students stretch truth on teacher evaluations, UNI professor's study finds

      To view the contents on www.desmoinesregister.com, go to:
      http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201012130405/NEWS02/12130319

      Message:
      It's always nice when data support anecdotal gut suspicions.