RE: [SACC-L] Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2010
      FYI
      On the repatriation of Ishi to the Yana
      http://anthropology.si.edu/repatriation/projects/ishi.htm

      From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SACC-L@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of George Thomas
      Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:40 PM
      To: sacc-l@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SACC-L] Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists

      Completely agree. Bingo. Precisely why Jonathan Marks expounds on the Ishi autopsy caper so well in "Why I Am Not A Scientist." Ales Hrdlicka (Sp? My Czech is rusty) may have been a mover/shaker of his time, but the idea that Ishi's brain could languish "unstudied" @ the Smithsonian for a century and drop under the curation radar is absolutely amazing. But I preach to the choir. I'll erase this remark now..... (not)...

      Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists
      Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> deborah_j_shepherd
      Date: Wed Dec 8, 2010 12:06 pm ((PST))

      We have that American Experience program in our library, and I use it for every cultural anthro class, but I can see it being used in physical anthropology as well. It prepares the way for discussion of false ideas about race and evolution.

      Deborah

      Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

      Is that the American Experience film?
      I use that one in class.
      Mike Pavlik

      Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

      Very interesting! Maybe this is why it is so difficult to get a Physical Anthropologist for the 5-field panel. Many told me they no longer join the AAA.

      Mary Kay, in Tucson