RE: [SACC-L] No Science Please, We're Anthropologists

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
      Thank you for the clarification, Mark. It is indeed reassuring.

      Deborah

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2010
        Is that the American Experience film?
        I use that one in class.
        Mike Pavlik

        Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
          Yes. It's perfect for an intro class in that one can cite examples from it for almost all sections.  It raises questions about self-awareness and how it is expressed given circumstances that are (fortunately) rare. No one ever quite found the answer to what Ishi would have called himself while the rest of the Yahi were alive.  I see eyes widen as we discuss the movie in classes. (A refreshing change from the usual, with eyes closing and heads nodding....:-)
          Then there are those interesting little nagging issues surrounding remnant Late Victorian science and Ishi's brain.  Drives the point home, eh wot?

              Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...
              Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

              Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
            We have that American Experience program in our library, and I use it for every cultural anthro class, but I can see it being used in physical anthropology as well. It prepares the way for discussion of false ideas about race and evolution.

            Deborah

            Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...<mailto:anthropmor%40AOL.COM>
            Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

            Posted by: "Gilliland, Mary" mkgilliland@...<mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu> sunny_hvar
            Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 9, 2010
              Completely agree. Bingo.  Precisely why Jonathan Marks expounds on the Ishi autopsy caper so well in "Why I Am Not A Scientist."  Ales Hrdlicka (Sp? My Czech is rusty) may have been a mover/shaker of his time, but the idea that Ishi's brain could languish "unstudied" @ the Smithsonian for a century and drop under the curation radar is absolutely amazing. But I preach to the choir.  I'll erase this remark now..... (not)...

              Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists
                  Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                  Date: Wed Dec 8, 2010 12:06 pm ((PST))

                  Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                  Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))