RE: [SACC-L] No Science Please, We're Anthropologists

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
      Lloyd: just got my copy of the current AN and found your excellent
      discussion of issues regarding K-14 educational outreach. These issues
      are central to our new AAA Task Force on Education formed by AAA
      President Virginia Dominguez. I am delighted with her open
      communication and commitment to serious outreach...when she attended our
      last SACC conference she told us of her commitment to community colleges
      and promised we would be represented on her new initiatives. So she
      followed up with the new Task Force on Education with a direct pipeline
      to the Executive Board and herself, and appointed me to represent
      community college outreach for the next three years. Lloyd, judging by
      your specific comments on some of the core issues and even a suggestion
      of a "best practice" by the Royal Anthropological Institute in the UK,
      we should look to yourself for the next appointment and keep those ideas
      coming...I need them, along with "best practices" for anthro outreach
      from other SACC'ers...my latest attempt is to find out how we can link
      our anthro curricula to more vocational programs, certificates, and
      degrees in each college, each state, each region, and of course,
      nationally. IDEAS PLEEEEZ TO MARK LEWINE

      Hey Lloyd, who is that young studly guy in the pic on page 43 with the
      last SACC student award winner, Mallory Haas?
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
        Thank you for the clarification, Mark. It is indeed reassuring.

        Deborah

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2010
          Is that the American Experience film?
          I use that one in class.
          Mike Pavlik

          Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
            Yes. It's perfect for an intro class in that one can cite examples from it for almost all sections.  It raises questions about self-awareness and how it is expressed given circumstances that are (fortunately) rare. No one ever quite found the answer to what Ishi would have called himself while the rest of the Yahi were alive.  I see eyes widen as we discuss the movie in classes. (A refreshing change from the usual, with eyes closing and heads nodding....:-)
            Then there are those interesting little nagging issues surrounding remnant Late Victorian science and Ishi's brain.  Drives the point home, eh wot?

                Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...
                Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
              We have that American Experience program in our library, and I use it for every cultural anthro class, but I can see it being used in physical anthropology as well. It prepares the way for discussion of false ideas about race and evolution.

              Deborah

              Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...<mailto:anthropmor%40AOL.COM>
              Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

              Posted by: "Gilliland, Mary" mkgilliland@...<mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu> sunny_hvar
              Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 9, 2010
                Completely agree. Bingo.  Precisely why Jonathan Marks expounds on the Ishi autopsy caper so well in "Why I Am Not A Scientist."  Ales Hrdlicka (Sp? My Czech is rusty) may have been a mover/shaker of his time, but the idea that Ishi's brain could languish "unstudied" @ the Smithsonian for a century and drop under the curation radar is absolutely amazing. But I preach to the choir.  I'll erase this remark now..... (not)...

                Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists
                    Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                    Date: Wed Dec 8, 2010 12:06 pm ((PST))

                    Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                    Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))