No Science Please, We're Anthropologists

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
      Anybody see this? Apparently the AAA wants to disassociate itself with science or something like that.

      I read about it on a 'Psychology Today' blog. You can get too, by clicking the link. I think.

      No Science, Please. We're Anthropologists. | Psychology Today
      www.psychologytoday.com

      You might have to scroll down on the page a bit to get the link.

      Bob
    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
        Very interesting! Maybe this is why it is so difficult to get a Physical Anthropologist for the 5-field panel. Many told me they no longer join the AAA.

        Mary Kay, in Tucson

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
          I just read this (it was the latest entry on the matter).
          http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fetishes-i-dont-get/201012/the-remains-the-aaa

          Bizarre.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
            I think this article could be making my point.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
              Yea gads!
              Mike Pavlik

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                There is a really useful roundup of all of the news and blogs discussing this issue from Neuroanthropology. The link is below.

                Tad

                http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropology/2010/12/01/anthropology-science-and-public-understanding/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plos/blogs/neuroanthropology+(Blogs+-+Neuroanthropology)

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                  Here's an additional reference on this issue, a lengthy article but it summarizes and excerpts comments from a number of other blogs. I'm amazed at how many are weighing in on this topic.

                  http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropology/2010/12/01/anthropology-science-and-public-understanding/

                  Lloyd

                  On Dec 1, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

                  > Anybody see this? Apparently the AAA wants to disassociate itself with science or something like that.
                  >
                  > I read about it on a 'Psychology Today' blog. You can get too, by clicking the link. I think.
                  >
                  > No Science, Please. We're Anthropologists. | Psychology Today
                  > www.psychologytoday.com
                  >
                  > You might have to scroll down on the page a bit to get the link.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • George Thomas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 4, 2010
                    I regularly plagiarize - oops, refer to - the book title "magic, science, religion and the scope of rationality", S. J. Tambiah 1990, when discussing cosmology in my intro classes.  So it strikes me as a wild misrepresentation of any such discussion for the AAA to so much as APPEAR to disassociate itself from "science."
                    Jonathan Marks, in his book "Why I Am Not A Scientist," critiques some of the less savory episodes of anthropology's history -- I was pleased to find that he includes an account of the crazy brouhaha over Ishi's brain and its ... uh ... "curation"..., just as I prepared to talk about it, and while the class was fresh from viewing the movie, "Ishi, The Last Yahi."
                    There seems to be some caving in to lame postmodern stances here, with the venue for full discussion of the issues being the loser.
                    If scientific theories grow through challenges, new information and "falsification" of hypotheses, of course scientists and whole fields of science should be subject to the same challenges.  I smell a lot of overreaction here.
                    George

                    Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists
                        Posted by: "Gilliland, Mary" mkgilliland@... sunny_hvar
                        Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
                      Well, if we accept the construction of blogs as objective and Psychology Today as a scientific opinion leader, I guess we should be upset by the AAA Long Range Plan which purportedly removes science from anthropology…I certainly admit that I was upset myself when I read the phrase “No Science Please, We’re Anthropologists”…I assumed before reading the AAA LRP statements and Virginia Dominguez reminder to read and comment on it directly, that anthropology was again being led by the Eastern elite cultural theorists, those dreaded ‘post modernists’… the same folks that once answered my plea at a AAA session on “Teaching Sexual Behavior in Anthro classes” by telling me that “yes, my adult female low-income students struggling with domestic violence, abuse and rape, would become empowered to handle their lives by simply reading Foucault in their sexual anthro or sociology class”. So, I was upset with THE P-M EVIL.

                      However, checking on the actual SOURCE of the catchy blog/Psych. Today hot journalistic lead (No Science Please, We’re Anthropologists), I found the following clear reference to an open inclusive context for anthropology’s future that clearly referenced research and included many more ‘fields’ than four or even five! So we have the irony found so often with some of my colleagues and friends who define themselves as solely biological anthro’s or archaeologists: elitist rejection of both integrated anthropology and the AAA, and negative rejection of the cultural field as non-scientific and anti-scientific in theory! Now that we actually have a non-elitist President of the AAA trying to open the doors to an inclusive future anthropology and AAA, we react before checking our sources, without critically reviewing the biases of those initial attacks, and I admit to being one who did both of these quick takes. So, here is an excerpt from Pres. Dominguez and the LRP sources. Please read and be calmed after you scold the bloggers not the blogged:

                      From the officers of the AAA to our membership:

                      Our AAA long-range plan needed updating in order to address the changing composition of the profession and the needs of the AAA membership. At its November 20 meeting in New Orleans, the Executive Board specified, concretized, and enlarged its operational roadmap for investing the Association’s resources towards a sustainable future. Section leadership was consulted prior to the New Orleans Annual Meeting, and the Executive Board acted. Then immediately after the highly attended 2010 AAA Meetings in New Orleans, some criticisms of the plan were circulated electronically that had not been sent our way prior to the Meetings. Among them were thoughtful responses from several quarters, many queries about hearsay, and some suggestions for improvement or change. These responses, however, were amped up by blog headline editors earlier this week: “Anthropology Without Science,” and “No Science Please. We’re Anthropologists.” We believe that the source of the problem speaks to the power of symbols: we replaced the term “science” in the preface of this planning document by a more specific (and inclusive) list of research domains, while explicitly acknowledging that the Association’s central focus is to promote the production, circulation, and application of anthropological research findings. Each one of us (the four officers of the AAA) may add or comment on the issues separately, but collectively we care about letting the entire association see the document at hand. We know that comments will continue to come our way and we welcome them from our clearly engaged membership.

                      Virginia R. Dominguez, President

                      Leith Mullings, President-Elect

                      Debra L. Martin, Secretary

                      Edward Liebow, Treasurer

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
                        Lloyd: just got my copy of the current AN and found your excellent
                        discussion of issues regarding K-14 educational outreach. These issues
                        are central to our new AAA Task Force on Education formed by AAA
                        President Virginia Dominguez. I am delighted with her open
                        communication and commitment to serious outreach...when she attended our
                        last SACC conference she told us of her commitment to community colleges
                        and promised we would be represented on her new initiatives. So she
                        followed up with the new Task Force on Education with a direct pipeline
                        to the Executive Board and herself, and appointed me to represent
                        community college outreach for the next three years. Lloyd, judging by
                        your specific comments on some of the core issues and even a suggestion
                        of a "best practice" by the Royal Anthropological Institute in the UK,
                        we should look to yourself for the next appointment and keep those ideas
                        coming...I need them, along with "best practices" for anthro outreach
                        from other SACC'ers...my latest attempt is to find out how we can link
                        our anthro curricula to more vocational programs, certificates, and
                        degrees in each college, each state, each region, and of course,
                        nationally. IDEAS PLEEEEZ TO MARK LEWINE

                        Hey Lloyd, who is that young studly guy in the pic on page 43 with the
                        last SACC student award winner, Mallory Haas?
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2010
                          Thank you for the clarification, Mark. It is indeed reassuring.

                          Deborah

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 7, 2010
                            Is that the American Experience film?
                            I use that one in class.
                            Mike Pavlik

                            Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                              Yes. It's perfect for an intro class in that one can cite examples from it for almost all sections.  It raises questions about self-awareness and how it is expressed given circumstances that are (fortunately) rare. No one ever quite found the answer to what Ishi would have called himself while the rest of the Yahi were alive.  I see eyes widen as we discuss the movie in classes. (A refreshing change from the usual, with eyes closing and heads nodding....:-)
                              Then there are those interesting little nagging issues surrounding remnant Late Victorian science and Ishi's brain.  Drives the point home, eh wot?

                                  Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...
                                  Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                                  Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                                We have that American Experience program in our library, and I use it for every cultural anthro class, but I can see it being used in physical anthropology as well. It prepares the way for discussion of false ideas about race and evolution.

                                Deborah

                                Posted by: "Anthropmor" anthropmor@...<mailto:anthropmor%40AOL.COM>
                                Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                                Posted by: "Gilliland, Mary" mkgilliland@...<mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu> sunny_hvar
                                Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  Completely agree. Bingo.  Precisely why Jonathan Marks expounds on the Ishi autopsy caper so well in "Why I Am Not A Scientist."  Ales Hrdlicka (Sp? My Czech is rusty) may have been a mover/shaker of his time, but the idea that Ishi's brain could languish "unstudied" @ the Smithsonian for a century and drop under the curation radar is absolutely amazing. But I preach to the choir.  I'll erase this remark now..... (not)...

                                  Re: No Science Please, We're Anthropologists
                                      Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                                      Date: Wed Dec 8, 2010 12:06 pm ((PST))

                                      Date: Tue Dec 7, 2010 11:19 am ((PST))

                                      Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:20 am ((PST))