RE: [SACC-L] Intro to Anthropology course

  • Gilliland, Mary
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 1, 2010
      I'll weigh in on behalf of Pima Community College, in Tucson. Some years ago we created two intro-level courses for non-majors that combine 2 sub-fields each. The first is our Arc-Phys class, Buried Cities and Lost Tribes. The second is our Cultural-Ling class, with a less glitzy title, but done in response to NOT being counted (in those days) as Non-Western Civ, so we call it Exploring Non-Western Cultures. This second one desperately needs a new name.

      We have found, however, that they both became wildly popular gen ed classes, and did serve as recruiting tools into Anthropology. They both have the advantage (and the Cult-Ling one especially) of hitting additional "special requirements" in our Gen Ed programs. Students have to take classes that have the designation of "Global Awareness", "Cultural Diversity" (which sounds like the same as the first, but really incorporates the old gender, race ethnicity concerns, and is more Western than Non-Western or Global), and "Intensive Writing". You can "double dip" with these categories, so when I originally created the Non-Western Civ class, I made sure it qualified for ALL THREE. When I teach the class and ask people why they are there, the majority say for the three special requirements (getting them all at once is the perceived bonus), but in the end a lot of them stick with it, and enjoy the class, and a few even stay with us in Anthro.

      Mary Kay Gilliland

      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 2, 2011
        How difficult for the family to have to cope with this situation halfway around the globe. I wish them well, and despite the poor prognosis, I wish her and her family strength. It is alarming that a search on Khrasnovarsk in Siberia does not produce any results in Google, but I do not know Russian and cannot interpret another spelling. I hope that their hospital has facilities.We "outsiders" can be surprised by what actually exists in Siberia.

        Deborah