RE: [SACC-L] Intro to Anthropology course

    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 1, 2010
      At my campus, we've offered Intro to Physical and Intro to Cultural for years, and more recently I started up Principles of Archaeology and Environmental Anthropology. The last course is not such a good fit for direct transfer because the 4-years usually offer their version at the upperclass level. However, it is popular with our students (who mostly want it for general transfer or program credit) and it fits into our goal area 10 (humans and the environment) requirement where fewer of our courses fit. So, most people are still happy.

      The Minnesota 4-years also don't teach anthro linguistics except on a higher level (if at all), so we haven't had a push to teach that course, either.

      From: Katrina Worley <kworley@...<mailto:kworley%40mac.com>>
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 8:52 AM

      To my knowledge, we've never taught a 3/4 field "Intro to Anthropology" course, and I don't think it's ever been a part of the curriculum at most CCs in California. One of my textbook reps mentioned that it's not something that they sell many books for in the Western states. We tend towards "intro to physical", "intro to cultural", "intro to archaeology", and "intro to linguistics".

      --
      History: special people in special places at special times
      Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time.

      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 2, 2011
        How difficult for the family to have to cope with this situation halfway around the globe. I wish them well, and despite the poor prognosis, I wish her and her family strength. It is alarming that a search on Khrasnovarsk in Siberia does not produce any results in Google, but I do not know Russian and cannot interpret another spelling. I hope that their hospital has facilities.We "outsiders" can be surprised by what actually exists in Siberia.

        Deborah