RE: [SACC-L] RE: Cheating

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
      Is this the article you mean? Someone at my school just passed the link around campus.

      http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/

      What is really obvious is that students who depend on these services to graduate had better have some actual skills, or they won't be able to keep a job once they get one.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
        This article really offends me.  He seems to be trying to foist some of the
        blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators.  Of course we wonder how
        seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work.  And we try like
        hell to trace it down.  How about if you don't write the papers for them,
        doofus?

        That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students told me
        that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for their
        kids.  I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands (and I
        assume vice/versa).  Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they will be
        cheating themselves.  Sad.  I wish there were some solution.
        ________________________________

        Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed', supposedly
        written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of students for a living? I
        recall she or he also said they have taken on-line courses on a real student's
        behalf as well.

        Bob

        >>> Deborah Shepherd
        >>><deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>>
        >>>11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
        Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days. My
        school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer guidelines for
        defining what these are, what student and faculty rights are, and how to deal
        with situations. We used to think it was all obvious.

        Deb

        Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo! Groups
        Links

      • Andrew Petto
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
          Well, it is spitting into a hurricane, but here is what I do:
          1. Students get a detailed document that they must sign and upload to
          the course web site. Until it is uploaded, the drop boxes for submitting
          assignments are not available to them.
          2. As a part of that document, they must go to this site ...
          https://www.indiana.edu/~tedfrick/plagiarism/
          and complete the tutorial and then pass the quiz.
          3. Passing the quiz issues a certificate, which they must also upload;
          this is the second key to the dropboxes.

          I am not so naive as to think this will prevent students from cheating.
          However, this is a CMA action. When I discover a suspicious document,
          there is no way that a student can claim "I didn't know this wasn't
          allowed; and so on"

          As of right now, we have 6 suspicious papers in the first written
          assignment. 4 of those are definitely going down --- it is that cut and
          dry.

          Enjoy.

          Anj

          PS. I discovered when I took the quiz that I was being way too lenient
          on close paraphrasing.

          On 15-Nov-10 21:20, mep1mep wrote:

          > This article really offends me. He seems to be trying to foist some
          > of the
          > blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators. Of course we
          > wonder how
          > seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work. And
          > we try like
          > hell to trace it down. How about if you don't write the papers for them,
          > doofus?
          >
          > That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students
          > told me
          > that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for
          > their
          > kids. I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands
          > (and I
          > assume vice/versa). Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they
          > will be
          > cheating themselves. Sad. I wish there were some solution.
          > ________________________________
          > From: Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...

          -----------------------------
          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer
          Department of Biological Sciences
          University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
          PO Box 413
          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
          CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
          Telephone: 414-229-6784
          FAX: 414-229-3926

        • mep1mep
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010
            I use that site as well.  I haven't gone so far as to require the certificate
            but I do state that students will be held to the discussed standards.  I, also,
            fail them for the full course--not just an assignment.

            Pam

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 17, 2010
              Pam, I just read it. On one level I do share your outrage, but found that I was having a number of different reactions as I read.

              One was, "Wow, this guy's a genious!" Then: "Assuming that he's being truthful, he's working way too hard for what he earns." Then: "If he's this clever a con artist, how do we know that his entire essay isn't simply a contrivance?" (Again, assuming truthfulness), he has certainly rationalized every aspect of his work life (and if this is true, he can have no other life but his work). The layers of cynicism he displays are beyond my experience or imagination. Again, if true, he and those like him must get a real rush (as he says) from these accomplishments. Imagine being able to con the entire academic establishment for years without once getting caught!

              One thing crossed my mind: With all the government money we waste, why not advertise to these shadow scholars that the gov't will pay them their annual salaries (rounded up to the nearest $10,000 figure�$70,000 to this dude�comparatively a pittance) if they will quit the business? Do you think this guy would?

              And finally, if his most frequent customers are the education folks (certainly believable), how will we ever improve the K-12 system, our last, best hope?

              Lloyd