Re: [SACC-L] Cheating

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
      Interesting video. Our problem is under the current interpretation of state law by our legal counsel we can only give a zero for the specific assignment or exam on which the student cheated. We cannot drop the student from the class. We cannot assign a grade of F for the class. Since students can drop the class at anytime through the end of the 14th week, a student given an F on an exam for cheating can simply drop the class. However, we do have a form to report the incident to the Dean of Students who, I'm happy to report, is deligent in following up on such reports.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
        thanks Deborah--I shared with my dept. head, and she's sharing it with all
        the college's faculty...
        > One of our faculty sent this information around. The first video is only
        > 3:10 minutes.
        > ____________________________
        >
        > http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/students-busted-for-cheating-22954742
        >
        > Listen to the second interviewed student. Here's the full video of the
        > professor addressing his class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4

        > Groups Links

        > signature database 5612 (20101111) __________

        > http://www.eset.com

      • Fulara, Elise
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
          Did you see the "response video" from the accused students?

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJG7aCQtI8E&feature=related

          ___

          - Elise Fulara

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
              Yes, I think you nailed it, Deborah. It's a good insight into the "entitlement" mentality that (so I've heard) pervades much student thinking nowadays. But what are the odds of improving things?

              A canon of enculturation theory is that much youth behavior reflects adult behavior; the kids copy the grownups. When we discussed this in class, I typically asked students this series of questions: "Is a crime something that is against the law?" (Unanimous answer: "yes.") "Is speeding against the law?" ("yes.") "Then is speeding a crime?" (A moment's hesitation, then "no."). In the ensuing discussion, students insisted that everyone speeds, and certainly not everyone is a criminal, therefore speeding was more like a game of change. In fact, most people who speed don't get caught most of the time. Those who do, well, they pay a fine, but of course they live to speed another day.

              Like speeding, "cheating" is viewed as neither heinous nor serious. As Phil pointed out (and I had no idea that this was the case, Phil), California prohibits any penalty more severe than flunking a student for the specific activity in which he or she cheated. So it's no worse that sleeping in and blowing off an exam. You can always make it up. (To this "adult" behavior we could also ad all the "news of the day"�corporate CEOs, defense contractors, Wall St. brokers, bankers�etc.)

              My heart went out to the USF business professor; I've been there. Sadly, however, the student comments on the video suggest that a four-hour course in ethics will not likely change things around.

              Lloyd

              On Nov 11, 2010, at 10:16 PM, Deborah Shepherd wrote:

              > Doesn't their argument all boil down to, "If the professor uses standard questions that we can get our hands on, then it isn't our fault"?

            • George Thomas
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
                All incredibly interesting. I found this on YahooNews, and wondered when SACC-L would pick it up.  Will have to view the student response.
                The second interviewee in the original YouTube item provided the clearest response from the "who cares" school of thought. His attitude matched that of students and PARENTS interviewed for last Summer's NY Times article on modern net-era attitudes toward plagiarism.  (I'll see if I can attach a copy if anyone wants).  I distribute that article to all my classes now, and have discontinued assigning essays because all the stuff involving some old-guy preaching about intellectual honesty and why we bother to publish things in the first place, appears to fall on unresponsive ears.  If it's on the net it must be free, so copy away, seems to be the current currency.
                One of my students from last year is STILL hitting on the administration to find out where they hid a fictitious change-of-grade form for him.  He was one of 2 students who plagiarized, one directly from the textbook, and the other directly from a class handout I had written.  You read that correctly:  I HAD WRITTEN.  He was passing my writing off as his essay, and still expects a grade change.  (I believe he's also the one who told me that he "has family," and they'll come by to talk to me).
                Luckily I have admin backing.
                Interesting how attitudes seem somewhat similar in prison college programs and "normal" ones.
                Cynicism enters academia from all sides of late.  The shame of it is that may such students are truly smart, and would under other circumstances be quite able.
                George Thomas

                Re: Cheating
                    Posted by: "Bob Muckle" bmuckle@... canadianarchaeologist
                    Date: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 pm ((PST))

                Deborah,

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
                  Not much chance of improving things! Students learn this attitude and behavior from the culture. I just heard in the radio that Bush 43 has now been accused of putting entire passages from other books into his new memoir. Maybe it was just his ghostwriter's fault.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                    Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days. My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all obvious.

                    Deb

                  • Bob Muckle
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                      Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed', supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                      Bob

                    • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                        We've had a case of a parent taking the on-line class for a student. In
                        spite of this, we keep being told that cheating is no more of a problem
                        with online than it is for face-to-face. I think if a parent shows up
                        for each face-to-face class for the student, there are some other
                        issues! -- Dianne

                        Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed',
                        supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of
                        students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken
                        on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                        Bob

                        >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...
                        <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> > 11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                        Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days.
                        My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer
                        guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights
                        are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all
                        obvious.

                        Deb

                      • Nikki Ives
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                          We are looking at this right now at our school. The eLearing office is exploring
                          ways to verify the identity of online students. One question that has been asked
                          is - do we ask for picture ID in face-to-face classes to verify the person who
                          claims to be the person on the roster really is that person?

                          I'm curious - does anyone do this? I don't. I call out their names at the
                          beginning of the semester and if they say "here" I take their word for it.

                          I remember when I was in college some of my professors would ask for picture ID
                          for exams - but that was only in the big lecture halls with more than 100
                          students. And it was only for exams - not other assignments. We don't have
                          classes that size here. I think students have to show ID in the testing center
                          if a professor wants them to take their exams there - but in the classroom, we
                          don't have any policy or practice that verifies identity.

                          How would you know if the person sitting there is actually the student they say
                          they are or if they are someone else? If the person who calls out "here" on the
                          first day of class keeps coming back, I assume they are who they say they are -
                          but it could be someone else. *Head explode!*

                          Nikki

                          ________________________________

                          Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed',
                          supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of
                          students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken
                          on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                          Bob

                          >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...
                          <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> > 11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                          Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days.
                          My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer
                          guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights
                          are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all
                          obvious.

                          Deb

                          This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
                          copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and knowledge, this
                          mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.

                        • Bob Muckle
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                            Starting a few weeks ago, our class lists now come with a photo of the student (presumably the same one taken for their student card).

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                              I'm retired, but teaching an online and an in-person class. This Fall I decided to check IDs in my in-person class. During our August department meeting someone asked me how I know that the student taking an online class is really the student enrolled. I asked how they knew the student sitting in class is the student enrolled. So I decided to check IDs.

                              I had all students fill out a simple form I made up. This way I got a signature to keep on file. Instead of calling roll, they came up to give me their form and show me a picture ID. (There were 50 in the class.) It worked fine. I did not catch anyone, but I assume that anyone with something to hide would have left. I also have them sign their exams that I can compare withtheir signature "on file." I really don't do this routinely, but the act of going through this process sends a message to the students that I mean business. I lot of it is pure theatre. I go through a routine with exams with numbering and signatures and I walk around during the exam like I mean business. I never catch anyone. I don't know if it's because I don't see it (a distinct possibility) or they think that I really do watch them like a hawk. It sets a serious tone, which is essential. Then I can relax.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                There have been many cases where people have taken in-person classes for others for a fee. They're very hard to catch.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                  I have asked for identification technology if we plan on continuing to do elearning, and was told that we were “investigating” iris and fingerprint technology…still no word…also need to have user-friendly tutorials that students would have to ‘pass’ before registering for e-classes… these two areas. Identification for at least exams and tutorials on how to use the elearning system are the two most asked for items.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                    Is this the article you mean? Someone at my school just passed the link around campus.

                                    http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/

                                    What is really obvious is that students who depend on these services to graduate had better have some actual skills, or they won't be able to keep a job once they get one.

                                    ________________________________
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                      This article really offends me.  He seems to be trying to foist some of the
                                      blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators.  Of course we wonder how
                                      seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work.  And we try like
                                      hell to trace it down.  How about if you don't write the papers for them,
                                      doofus?

                                      That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students told me
                                      that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for their
                                      kids.  I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands (and I
                                      assume vice/versa).  Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they will be
                                      cheating themselves.  Sad.  I wish there were some solution.
                                      ________________________________

                                      Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed', supposedly
                                      written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of students for a living? I
                                      recall she or he also said they have taken on-line courses on a real student's
                                      behalf as well.

                                      Bob

                                      >>> Deborah Shepherd
                                      >>><deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>>
                                      >>>11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                                      Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days. My
                                      school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer guidelines for
                                      defining what these are, what student and faculty rights are, and how to deal
                                      with situations. We used to think it was all obvious.

                                      Deb

                                      Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo! Groups
                                      Links

                                    • Andrew Petto
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                        Well, it is spitting into a hurricane, but here is what I do:
                                        1. Students get a detailed document that they must sign and upload to
                                        the course web site. Until it is uploaded, the drop boxes for submitting
                                        assignments are not available to them.
                                        2. As a part of that document, they must go to this site ...
                                        https://www.indiana.edu/~tedfrick/plagiarism/
                                        and complete the tutorial and then pass the quiz.
                                        3. Passing the quiz issues a certificate, which they must also upload;
                                        this is the second key to the dropboxes.

                                        I am not so naive as to think this will prevent students from cheating.
                                        However, this is a CMA action. When I discover a suspicious document,
                                        there is no way that a student can claim "I didn't know this wasn't
                                        allowed; and so on"

                                        As of right now, we have 6 suspicious papers in the first written
                                        assignment. 4 of those are definitely going down --- it is that cut and
                                        dry.

                                        Enjoy.

                                        Anj

                                        PS. I discovered when I took the quiz that I was being way too lenient
                                        on close paraphrasing.

                                        On 15-Nov-10 21:20, mep1mep wrote:

                                        > This article really offends me. He seems to be trying to foist some
                                        > of the
                                        > blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators. Of course we
                                        > wonder how
                                        > seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work. And
                                        > we try like
                                        > hell to trace it down. How about if you don't write the papers for them,
                                        > doofus?
                                        >
                                        > That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students
                                        > told me
                                        > that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for
                                        > their
                                        > kids. I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands
                                        > (and I
                                        > assume vice/versa). Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they
                                        > will be
                                        > cheating themselves. Sad. I wish there were some solution.
                                        > ________________________________
                                        > From: Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...

                                        -----------------------------
                                        Andrew J Petto, PhD
                                        Senior Lecturer
                                        Department of Biological Sciences
                                        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                                        PO Box 413
                                        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                                        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                                        Telephone: 414-229-6784
                                        FAX: 414-229-3926

                                      • mep1mep
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010
                                          I use that site as well.  I haven't gone so far as to require the certificate
                                          but I do state that students will be held to the discussed standards.  I, also,
                                          fail them for the full course--not just an assignment.

                                          Pam

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 17, 2010
                                            Pam, I just read it. On one level I do share your outrage, but found that I was having a number of different reactions as I read.

                                            One was, "Wow, this guy's a genious!" Then: "Assuming that he's being truthful, he's working way too hard for what he earns." Then: "If he's this clever a con artist, how do we know that his entire essay isn't simply a contrivance?" (Again, assuming truthfulness), he has certainly rationalized every aspect of his work life (and if this is true, he can have no other life but his work). The layers of cynicism he displays are beyond my experience or imagination. Again, if true, he and those like him must get a real rush (as he says) from these accomplishments. Imagine being able to con the entire academic establishment for years without once getting caught!

                                            One thing crossed my mind: With all the government money we waste, why not advertise to these shadow scholars that the gov't will pay them their annual salaries (rounded up to the nearest $10,000 figure�$70,000 to this dude�comparatively a pittance) if they will quit the business? Do you think this guy would?

                                            And finally, if his most frequent customers are the education folks (certainly believable), how will we ever improve the K-12 system, our last, best hope?

                                            Lloyd