Cheating

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
      One of our faculty sent this information around. The first video is only 3:10 minutes.
      ____________________________

      http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/students-busted-for-cheating-22954742

      Listen to the second interviewed student. Here's the full video of the professor addressing his class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4
    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
        Deborah,

        Thanks for posting the video on cheating.

        I had a similar circumstance, but on a much, much smaller scale than that discussed in the video. I took a similar approach (trying to get the cheaters to self-identify).

        In my case, I had identified four cases of probable cheating and put it to the class of about 30 students for the cheaters to self-identify within 24 hours and only fail the assignment (worth 30% of the course grade), with the alternative of failing the entire course.

        I had a 150% success rate. All four who I suspected of cheating admitted it, as well as two who I had not suspected.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
          It appears the video at the first link has been taken down. I suspect the second student's remarks about how everyone cheats--"it's no big deal"--etc., may have been the reason.

          ________________________________
          Thanks for posting the video on cheating.

          I had a similar circumstance, but on a much, much smaller scale than that discussed in the video. I took a similar approach (trying to get the cheaters to self-identify).

          In my case, I had identified four cases of probable cheating and put it to the class of about 30 students for the cheaters to self-identify within 24 hours and only fail the assignment (worth 30% of the course grade), with the alternative of failing the entire course.

          I had a 150% success rate. All four who I suspected of cheating admitted it, as well as two who I had not suspected.

          Bob

          >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>> 11/11/10 10:55 AM >>>
          One of our faculty sent this information around. The first video is only 3:10 minutes.
          ____________________________

          http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/students-busted-for-cheating-22954742

          Listen to the second interviewed student. Here's the full video of the professor addressing his class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4

        • Philip Stein
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
            Interesting video. Our problem is under the current interpretation of state law by our legal counsel we can only give a zero for the specific assignment or exam on which the student cheated. We cannot drop the student from the class. We cannot assign a grade of F for the class. Since students can drop the class at anytime through the end of the 14th week, a student given an F on an exam for cheating can simply drop the class. However, we do have a form to report the incident to the Dean of Students who, I'm happy to report, is deligent in following up on such reports.

            Phil

            Thanks for posting the video on cheating.

            I had a similar circumstance, but on a much, much smaller scale than that discussed in the video. I took a similar approach (trying to get the cheaters to self-identify).

            In my case, I had identified four cases of probable cheating and put it to the class of about 30 students for the cheaters to self-identify within 24 hours and only fail the assignment (worth 30% of the course grade), with the alternative of failing the entire course.

            I had a 150% success rate. All four who I suspected of cheating admitted it, as well as two who I had not suspected.

            Bob

            >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...> 11/11/10 10:55 AM >>>
            One of our faculty sent this information around. The first video is only 3:10 minutes.
            ____________________________

            http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/students-busted-for-cheating-22954742

            Listen to the second interviewed student. Here's the full video of the professor addressing his class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4

          • Kent Morris
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
              thanks Deborah--I shared with my dept. head, and she's sharing it with all
              the college's faculty...
              > One of our faculty sent this information around. The first video is only
              > 3:10 minutes.
              > ____________________________
              >
              > http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/students-busted-for-cheating-22954742
              >
              > Listen to the second interviewed student. Here's the full video of the
              > professor addressing his class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4

              > Groups Links

              > signature database 5612 (20101111) __________

              > http://www.eset.com

            • Fulara, Elise
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
                Did you see the "response video" from the accused students?

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJG7aCQtI8E&feature=related

                ___

                - Elise Fulara

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
                  Doesn't their argument all boil down to, "If the professor uses standard questions that we can get our hands on, then it isn't our fault"?

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
                    Yes, I think you nailed it, Deborah. It's a good insight into the "entitlement" mentality that (so I've heard) pervades much student thinking nowadays. But what are the odds of improving things?

                    A canon of enculturation theory is that much youth behavior reflects adult behavior; the kids copy the grownups. When we discussed this in class, I typically asked students this series of questions: "Is a crime something that is against the law?" (Unanimous answer: "yes.") "Is speeding against the law?" ("yes.") "Then is speeding a crime?" (A moment's hesitation, then "no."). In the ensuing discussion, students insisted that everyone speeds, and certainly not everyone is a criminal, therefore speeding was more like a game of change. In fact, most people who speed don't get caught most of the time. Those who do, well, they pay a fine, but of course they live to speed another day.

                    Like speeding, "cheating" is viewed as neither heinous nor serious. As Phil pointed out (and I had no idea that this was the case, Phil), California prohibits any penalty more severe than flunking a student for the specific activity in which he or she cheated. So it's no worse that sleeping in and blowing off an exam. You can always make it up. (To this "adult" behavior we could also ad all the "news of the day"�corporate CEOs, defense contractors, Wall St. brokers, bankers�etc.)

                    My heart went out to the USF business professor; I've been there. Sadly, however, the student comments on the video suggest that a four-hour course in ethics will not likely change things around.

                    Lloyd

                    On Nov 11, 2010, at 10:16 PM, Deborah Shepherd wrote:

                    > Doesn't their argument all boil down to, "If the professor uses standard questions that we can get our hands on, then it isn't our fault"?

                  • George Thomas
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
                      All incredibly interesting. I found this on YahooNews, and wondered when SACC-L would pick it up.  Will have to view the student response.
                      The second interviewee in the original YouTube item provided the clearest response from the "who cares" school of thought. His attitude matched that of students and PARENTS interviewed for last Summer's NY Times article on modern net-era attitudes toward plagiarism.  (I'll see if I can attach a copy if anyone wants).  I distribute that article to all my classes now, and have discontinued assigning essays because all the stuff involving some old-guy preaching about intellectual honesty and why we bother to publish things in the first place, appears to fall on unresponsive ears.  If it's on the net it must be free, so copy away, seems to be the current currency.
                      One of my students from last year is STILL hitting on the administration to find out where they hid a fictitious change-of-grade form for him.  He was one of 2 students who plagiarized, one directly from the textbook, and the other directly from a class handout I had written.  You read that correctly:  I HAD WRITTEN.  He was passing my writing off as his essay, and still expects a grade change.  (I believe he's also the one who told me that he "has family," and they'll come by to talk to me).
                      Luckily I have admin backing.
                      Interesting how attitudes seem somewhat similar in prison college programs and "normal" ones.
                      Cynicism enters academia from all sides of late.  The shame of it is that may such students are truly smart, and would under other circumstances be quite able.
                      George Thomas

                      Re: Cheating
                          Posted by: "Bob Muckle" bmuckle@... canadianarchaeologist
                          Date: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 pm ((PST))

                      Deborah,

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 12, 2010
                        Not much chance of improving things! Students learn this attitude and behavior from the culture. I just heard in the radio that Bush 43 has now been accused of putting entire passages from other books into his new memoir. Maybe it was just his ghostwriter's fault.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                          Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days. My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all obvious.

                          Deb

                        • Bob Muckle
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                            Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed', supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                            Bob

                          • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                              We've had a case of a parent taking the on-line class for a student. In
                              spite of this, we keep being told that cheating is no more of a problem
                              with online than it is for face-to-face. I think if a parent shows up
                              for each face-to-face class for the student, there are some other
                              issues! -- Dianne

                              Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed',
                              supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of
                              students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken
                              on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                              Bob

                              >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...
                              <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> > 11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                              Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days.
                              My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer
                              guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights
                              are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all
                              obvious.

                              Deb

                            • Nikki Ives
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                We are looking at this right now at our school. The eLearing office is exploring
                                ways to verify the identity of online students. One question that has been asked
                                is - do we ask for picture ID in face-to-face classes to verify the person who
                                claims to be the person on the roster really is that person?

                                I'm curious - does anyone do this? I don't. I call out their names at the
                                beginning of the semester and if they say "here" I take their word for it.

                                I remember when I was in college some of my professors would ask for picture ID
                                for exams - but that was only in the big lecture halls with more than 100
                                students. And it was only for exams - not other assignments. We don't have
                                classes that size here. I think students have to show ID in the testing center
                                if a professor wants them to take their exams there - but in the classroom, we
                                don't have any policy or practice that verifies identity.

                                How would you know if the person sitting there is actually the student they say
                                they are or if they are someone else? If the person who calls out "here" on the
                                first day of class keeps coming back, I assume they are who they say they are -
                                but it could be someone else. *Head explode!*

                                Nikki

                                ________________________________

                                Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed',
                                supposedly written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of
                                students for a living? I recall she or he also said they have taken
                                on-line courses on a real student's behalf as well.

                                Bob

                                >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...
                                <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> > 11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                                Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days.
                                My school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer
                                guidelines for defining what these are, what student and faculty rights
                                are, and how to deal with situations. We used to think it was all
                                obvious.

                                Deb

                                This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
                                copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and knowledge, this
                                mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.

                              • Bob Muckle
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                  Starting a few weeks ago, our class lists now come with a photo of the student (presumably the same one taken for their student card).

                                  Bob

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                    I'm retired, but teaching an online and an in-person class. This Fall I decided to check IDs in my in-person class. During our August department meeting someone asked me how I know that the student taking an online class is really the student enrolled. I asked how they knew the student sitting in class is the student enrolled. So I decided to check IDs.

                                    I had all students fill out a simple form I made up. This way I got a signature to keep on file. Instead of calling roll, they came up to give me their form and show me a picture ID. (There were 50 in the class.) It worked fine. I did not catch anyone, but I assume that anyone with something to hide would have left. I also have them sign their exams that I can compare withtheir signature "on file." I really don't do this routinely, but the act of going through this process sends a message to the students that I mean business. I lot of it is pure theatre. I go through a routine with exams with numbering and signatures and I walk around during the exam like I mean business. I never catch anyone. I don't know if it's because I don't see it (a distinct possibility) or they think that I really do watch them like a hawk. It sets a serious tone, which is essential. Then I can relax.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                      There have been many cases where people have taken in-person classes for others for a fee. They're very hard to catch.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                        I have asked for identification technology if we plan on continuing to do elearning, and was told that we were “investigating” iris and fingerprint technology…still no word…also need to have user-friendly tutorials that students would have to ‘pass’ before registering for e-classes… these two areas. Identification for at least exams and tutorials on how to use the elearning system are the two most asked for items.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                          Is this the article you mean? Someone at my school just passed the link around campus.

                                          http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/

                                          What is really obvious is that students who depend on these services to graduate had better have some actual skills, or they won't be able to keep a job once they get one.

                                          ________________________________
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                            This article really offends me.  He seems to be trying to foist some of the
                                            blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators.  Of course we wonder how
                                            seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work.  And we try like
                                            hell to trace it down.  How about if you don't write the papers for them,
                                            doofus?

                                            That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students told me
                                            that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for their
                                            kids.  I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands (and I
                                            assume vice/versa).  Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they will be
                                            cheating themselves.  Sad.  I wish there were some solution.
                                            ________________________________

                                            Did anyone see the article in a recent 'Chronicle of Higher Ed', supposedly
                                            written by someone who writes papers on the behalf of students for a living? I
                                            recall she or he also said they have taken on-line courses on a real student's
                                            behalf as well.

                                            Bob

                                            >>> Deborah Shepherd
                                            >>><deborah.shepherd@...<mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>>
                                            >>>11/15/2010 7:50 AM >>>
                                            Cheating in test-taking and plagiarism are depressing issues these days. My
                                            school is now forming a faculty/staff committee to create firmer guidelines for
                                            defining what these are, what student and faculty rights are, and how to deal
                                            with situations. We used to think it was all obvious.

                                            Deb

                                            Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo! Groups
                                            Links

                                          • Andrew Petto
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                              Well, it is spitting into a hurricane, but here is what I do:
                                              1. Students get a detailed document that they must sign and upload to
                                              the course web site. Until it is uploaded, the drop boxes for submitting
                                              assignments are not available to them.
                                              2. As a part of that document, they must go to this site ...
                                              https://www.indiana.edu/~tedfrick/plagiarism/
                                              and complete the tutorial and then pass the quiz.
                                              3. Passing the quiz issues a certificate, which they must also upload;
                                              this is the second key to the dropboxes.

                                              I am not so naive as to think this will prevent students from cheating.
                                              However, this is a CMA action. When I discover a suspicious document,
                                              there is no way that a student can claim "I didn't know this wasn't
                                              allowed; and so on"

                                              As of right now, we have 6 suspicious papers in the first written
                                              assignment. 4 of those are definitely going down --- it is that cut and
                                              dry.

                                              Enjoy.

                                              Anj

                                              PS. I discovered when I took the quiz that I was being way too lenient
                                              on close paraphrasing.

                                              On 15-Nov-10 21:20, mep1mep wrote:

                                              > This article really offends me. He seems to be trying to foist some
                                              > of the
                                              > blame for his own heinous behavior off on educators. Of course we
                                              > wonder how
                                              > seemingly illiterate students can produce stellar written work. And
                                              > we try like
                                              > hell to trace it down. How about if you don't write the papers for them,
                                              > doofus?
                                              >
                                              > That said, one of our counselors who has a good rapport with students
                                              > told me
                                              > that he commonly gets told that parents are taking online courses for
                                              > their
                                              > kids. I, also, know of cases when wives have taken them for husbands
                                              > (and I
                                              > assume vice/versa). Hate to sound old-fashioned but in the end they
                                              > will be
                                              > cheating themselves. Sad. I wish there were some solution.
                                              > ________________________________
                                              > From: Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...

                                              -----------------------------
                                              Andrew J Petto, PhD
                                              Senior Lecturer
                                              Department of Biological Sciences
                                              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                                              PO Box 413
                                              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                                              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                                              Telephone: 414-229-6784
                                              FAX: 414-229-3926

                                            • mep1mep
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010
                                                I use that site as well.  I haven't gone so far as to require the certificate
                                                but I do state that students will be held to the discussed standards.  I, also,
                                                fail them for the full course--not just an assignment.

                                                Pam

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 17, 2010
                                                  Pam, I just read it. On one level I do share your outrage, but found that I was having a number of different reactions as I read.

                                                  One was, "Wow, this guy's a genious!" Then: "Assuming that he's being truthful, he's working way too hard for what he earns." Then: "If he's this clever a con artist, how do we know that his entire essay isn't simply a contrivance?" (Again, assuming truthfulness), he has certainly rationalized every aspect of his work life (and if this is true, he can have no other life but his work). The layers of cynicism he displays are beyond my experience or imagination. Again, if true, he and those like him must get a real rush (as he says) from these accomplishments. Imagine being able to con the entire academic establishment for years without once getting caught!

                                                  One thing crossed my mind: With all the government money we waste, why not advertise to these shadow scholars that the gov't will pay them their annual salaries (rounded up to the nearest $10,000 figure�$70,000 to this dude�comparatively a pittance) if they will quit the business? Do you think this guy would?

                                                  And finally, if his most frequent customers are the education folks (certainly believable), how will we ever improve the K-12 system, our last, best hope?

                                                  Lloyd