Fall issue of SACC Notes is now online

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
      Lloyd Miller, our fearless editor, is on the road to attend The Rally to Restore Sanity in Washington, DC. He asked me to inform you when the issue is available online. Please visit http://saccweb.net/?page_id=46 and enjoy the following articles. Ann

      Robert Muckle, Archaeology Matters, a recurring column!............................6
      Frank Lagana, Don�t You Hear the News Flash? Using the
      Popular Music of Jamaica in a Caribbean Studies Class!..........................8
      Frank Lagana, No More Cowboys and Indians! Teaching a
      Native American Studies Course to 21st Century Students!....................13
      Jack Kelso, Teaching Anthropology: Some Strong Opinions!.....................17
      Cynthia Ninivaggi, Introducing Economic Anthropology and Exchange:
      Student-Centered Lessons that Work!.....................................................22
      Barry Kass, Review of The Gift of a Bride: a Tale of Anthropology,
      Matrimony and Murder by Serena Nanda and Joan Gregg!....................27
      Notes on Contributors!..................................................................................

    • Dianne C
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2010
        Hello from NOLA!

        Saw Bob Muckle's book on display.

        Saw one of Barry Kass's photos on a huge screen as I was entering the books.

        5-Fields was PACKED! SRO! Probably close to 100 people!

        Teaching session went well and they are interested in SACC.

        Several folks have asked about SACC.

        Mel announced SACCfest in Omaha with more to come.

        Already working on AAA program possibilities for next year in Montreal.

        Gotta go! Bourbon St. is calling!

        -- Dianne

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2010
          Hi Dianne,
          I hope you're having a great time at the AAA meeting in New Orleans. Sorry I couldn't make it. Now that I'm semi-retired (on an adjunct basis) I no longer have access to college travel funds, so my academic travel these days is limited. I do hope to get to the SACC meeting in Puerto Rico.
          My photo on display at the AAA meeting?! This comes as a surprise. I'll bet it's my photo "Istanbul Waterfront", which was a finalist in last year's AAA photo contest.
          Diane, on your way to Bourbon St., are you? I have very fond memories of walking around Bourbon St. with you and some other SACC-ites several years ago at the last AAA meeting there, and I recall very well that you, shall we say, responded very nicely to the chanting in the streets. What a scene.
          Regards,
          Barry

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
            Bourbon St. indeed, Dianne! Rub it in, rub it in! I hope y'all had a great time (and I do share Barry's memories :)
            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
              Yes, well sorry to disappoint y'all, but it was ME that got beads thrown
              at him on Bourbon Street that night! And I earned mine with hard work!

              Bourbon St. indeed, Dianne! Rub it in, rub it in! I hope y'all had a
              great time (and I do share Barry's memories :)
              Lloyd

              On Nov 21, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Barry wrote:

              > Hi Dianne,
              > I hope you're having a great time at the AAA meeting in New Orleans.
              Sorry I couldn't make it. Now that I'm semi-retired (on an adjunct
              basis) I no longer have access to college travel funds, so my academic
              travel these days is limited. I do hope to get to the SACC meeting in
              Puerto Rico.
              > My photo on display at the AAA meeting?! This comes as a surprise.
              I'll bet it's my photo "Istanbul Waterfront", which was a finalist in
              last year's AAA photo contest.
              > Diane, on your way to Bourbon St., are you? I have very fond memories
              of walking around Bourbon St. with you and some other SACC-ites several
              years ago at the last AAA meeting there, and I recall very well that
              you, shall we say, responded very nicely to the chanting in the streets.
              What a scene.
              > Regards,
              > Barry
              >
              > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, Dianne C <dianneky@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hello from NOLA!
              > >
              > > Saw Bob Muckle's book on display.
              > >
              > > Saw one of Barry Kass's photos on a huge screen as I was entering
              the books.

              > > 5-Fields was PACKED! SRO! Probably close to 100 people!
              > >
              > > Teaching session went well and they are interested in SACC.
              > >
              > > Several folks have asked about SACC.
              > >
              > > Mel announced SACCfest in Omaha with more to come.
              > >
              > > Already working on AAA program possibilities for next year in
              Montreal.

              > > Gotta go! Bourbon St. is calling!
              > >
              > > -- Dianne

              Groups Links
            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
                That's right! Mark earned lots of beads. I, as usually, was my
                lady-like self! -- Dianne

                P.S. Wasn't there some kind of pact that this would never be talked
                about?

                P.S. #2 Mark was not able to earn beads this year. However, Rue
                Bourbon was not as busy this year, thus, the downturn in the world
                economy affected Mark's bead income.

                Dianne C <dianneky@...> wrote:

                > > Hello from NOLA!
                > >
                > > Saw Bob Muckle's book on display.
                > >
                > > Saw one of Barry Kass's photos on a huge screen as I was entering
                the books.

                > > 5-Fields was PACKED! SRO! Probably close to 100 people!
                > >
                > > Teaching session went well and they are interested in SACC.
                > >
                > > Several folks have asked about SACC.
                > >
                > > Mel announced SACCfest in Omaha with more to come.
                > >
                > > Already working on AAA program possibilities for next year in
                Montreal.

                > > Gotta go! Bourbon St. is calling!
                > >
                > > -- Dianne

                Groups Links

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
                  That's true, Mark. However, another hard-working soul also earned beads during which time you briefly looked up and away. As I recall, you were not happy about that :)
                  Lloyd

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
                    Oops!