Deadline for Student Awards approaching

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
      Dear SACCers,

      Below are descriptions of our two SACC student awards. The deadline for submission is December 31, 2010. The prize for the student awards is $200 and registration waiver to attend the SACC annual meeting. This is our third year for offering these awards. No applications were received last year. We hope SACC will recognize one or two outstanding anthropology students this coming year so that we can express our appreciation and offer our support to these budding professionals.

      Awards Committee:

      Beverly Bennett
      Dianne Chidester
      Laura Gonzalez
      Nicole Ives
      Ann Kaupp, chair

      SACC Student Award for Academic Excellence

      Description: This prize recognizes excellence in student research, intellectual creativity, originality, and quality of writing. Papers will be evaluated by the SACC Review Committee.

      Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2011 Annual Meeting in Omaha, NE.

      Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

      Submission Information: Faculty must submit on behalf of undergraduate students (no more than two students) research papers that relate to one of the five fields of anthropology (archaeology, socio-cultural, biological, linguistics, or applied). Papers, sent as email attachments, should be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages. Faculty and students need not be SACC members. Papers must be submitted electronically.

      Application Submission Deadline: December 31, 2010

      Where: The winner will be announced at the SACC 2011 annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska.

      Contact Information: Ann Kaupp, kauppa@...

      SACC Student Award for Creativity, Leadership,
      or Community Service

      Description: This prize recognizes an exceptional student who has made an outstanding contribution to the academic or local community by demonstrating creativity, leadership, or community service.

      Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2011 Annual Meeting in Omaha, NE.

      Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

      Submission Information: Faculty must submit a written recommendation, sent as an email attachment, of no more than five pages for an exceptional student who fits the above criteria. Faculty must be a member of SACC.

      Application Submission Deadline: December 31, 2010

      Where: The winner will be announced at the SACC 2011 annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska.

      Contact Information: Ann Kaupp, kauppa@...

    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2010
        All:

        We will have six papers at the Five-Field in New Orleans - in just a few days. As such, there will be very little time for me to make any comments at the start, or even at the end (I would rather have time for at least a few questions).

        I remember, however, that Ann Kaupp gave a wonderful presentation when she had her session. I had saved it, and would like to pull a couple details out - when we began this tradition, for example, and will also "advertise" our own upcoming meetings & SACC Notes.

        I recently got a new computer at work, and it looks like much of my saved stuff went away. I also think we are being allowed less archiving space on e-mail.

        Can anyone forward me a copy of Ann's presentation, which I believe was circulated? I promise not to plagiarize, and to give credit where credit is due! :)

        Mary Kay Gilliland
        Tucson, AZ