RE: [SACC-L] on music, weirdness, and energy

  • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
      I'd like to see it, Bob.
      Ellen J
      johnson@...

      ________________________________
      From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com [SACC-L@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Muckle [bmuckle@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 9:58 AM
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SACC-L] on music, weirdness, and energy

      "Popular Anthropology Magazine' has now released it's third on-line issue. My column in this issue is on "Native Americans in the Music Industry, Weird People, and Insight into the Energy Industry." It isn't deep, but if anybody is interested, and they don't want to subscribe to the magazine, I can send them a pdf of my column.

      The bit about Native musicians is just about 500 words on well-known musicians with Native Amerian heritage, based on a current exhibit at the National Museum of the American Indian, and a bit of my own superficial research showing an unusually large number of musicians being identified as 'Cherokee.' The bit about Weird people is also about 500 words and....well, WEIRD is an acronym for those from Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic societies. Psychologists apparently routinely use data collected from those in WEIRD societies, especially American undergraduate students, to make inferences about all of humankind. The bit about the energy industry is about 500 words based on what I picked up from Laura Nader's presentation at the last SACC meeting and reading her book on the topic.

      If you want the pd of my column, I'd be glad to email it.

      The previous two issues of 'Popular Anthropology Magazine', including my columns on social media, the winter Olympics, Beer, NAGPRA, and more can be found in the archives of the magazine (popanthro.com)