on music, weirdness, and energy

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
      "Popular Anthropology Magazine' has now released it's third on-line issue. My column in this issue is on "Native Americans in the Music Industry, Weird People, and Insight into the Energy Industry." It isn't deep, but if anybody is interested, and they don't want to subscribe to the magazine, I can send them a pdf of my column.

      The bit about Native musicians is just about 500 words on well-known musicians with Native Amerian heritage, based on a current exhibit at the National Museum of the American Indian, and a bit of my own superficial research showing an unusually large number of musicians being identified as 'Cherokee.' The bit about Weird people is also about 500 words and....well, WEIRD is an acronym for those from Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic societies. Psychologists apparently routinely use data collected from those in WEIRD societies, especially American undergraduate students, to make inferences about all of humankind. The bit about the energy industry is about 500 words based on what I picked up from Laura Nader's presentation at the last SACC meeting and reading her book on the topic.

      If you want the pd of my column, I'd be glad to email it.

      The previous two issues of 'Popular Anthropology Magazine', including my columns on social media, the winter Olympics, Beer, NAGPRA, and more can be found in the archives of the magazine (popanthro.com)

      Bob
    • Anthropmor
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
        I would love a pdf.
        As far as Cherokee, in Oklahoma ( & I believe Georgia, for obvious reasons) I believe it is like being part Irish or Scottish or German- ubiquitous ancestors who traveled all over.
        Mike Pavlik

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
          Would LOVE a pdf, Bob. Sounds "weird" and interesting too!

          Mary Kay Gilliland, Ph.D.
          Dean, Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM)
          Pima Community College, West Campus
          2202 West Anklam Road
          Tucson, Arizona 85709-0215
          Tel: (520) 206-6763 Fax: (520) 206-6902
          E-Mail: mkgilliland@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
            Might be because there are 300,000+ enrolled Cherokee, an equal number or more who, for various reasons, are not enrolled, and an unknown but very large number whose ancestry in this country is long and deep and has Cherokee components.   It also might be that Cherokee people have a strong musical tradition.
            Might merit more than "superficial research" and assumptions of ubiquity.
            Beca

            ==============
            Rebecca Cramer
            missiontosonora@...
            http://rcramer.web.arizona.edu

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
              Might merit more than "superficial research" and assumptions of ubiquity.

              It might also be that they were the most assimilated.
              It was a quick remark, not a thesis.
              Mike Pavlik

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
                I'd like an emailed pdf, and might possibly even be able to derive useful info from it despite my penchant for superficial research etc.
                Besides, I have far more subscriptions than I know what to do with.
                Re: Cherokees everywhere: I recall Vine Deloria's "Custer Died for your Sins" blockbuster book and its critique of modern folks' (incl, one supposes, a small percentage with at least a smidgin of Native Am descent) claiming "Cherokee" background. Further superficial research allows me to recall that the Indian Removal Act wreaked havoc on many Cherokee, with "removal" being one of the nastiest and inconvenient aspects of said havoc.
                To steal a term from sociology, the Cherokee experienced not only a lot of intermarriage with Scots, Irish, and even Scots-Irish settlers, but also a massive "diaspora."  (A "diaspora" within a "diaspora?")
                Maybe that, along with a sort of "underclass" need to identify with Cherokees, accounts for all that over-representation.  Something beyond the usual superficial research might shed some light (and musical sound) on this.
                Ve-e-e-ery interesting.......

                on music, weirdness, and energy
                    Posted by: "Bob Muckle" bmuckle@... canadianarchaeologist
                    Date: Mon Oct 4, 2010 7:58 am ((PDT))

[...]