Re: [SACC-L] field schools in 2011

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
      It's not in the Southwest, but there's a great fieldschool in Kampsville, IL.

      Sydney

      Sydney Hart, Ph.D.
      Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department
      Assistant Professor, Sociology, Anthropology, and Global Studies
      Wilbur Wright College
      4300 North Narragansett Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60634
      >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...> 10/02/10 8:52 PM >>>
      Hello, Everyone

      A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

      Deborah

    • Beverly Bennett
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
        Crow Canyon has a strong reputation, although I'm not personally familiar with them.  They seem to offer a variety of types of programs.

        Beverly

        A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

        Deborah

      • George Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
          In case a non-Summer field school is not out of the question, it seems the University of Arizona has a Spring semester field school.  The last I checked (2003 or so), they still had a fine Summer offering, but today's Google search came up surprisingly empty.  See the website at:
          http://anthropology.arizona.edu/content/spring_semester_archaeological-field_school

          George Thomas

          Re: field schools in 2011
              Posted by: "Beverly Bennett" bybennett@... bybennett
              Date: Sun Oct 3, 2010 12:21 am ((PDT))

          Crow Canyon has a strong reputation, although I'm not personally familiar with them.  They seem to offer a variety of types of programs.

          Beverly

          A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

          Deborah

        • Chris Koch
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
            Try this site its great for the aspiring archaeologist.

            http://www.shovelbums.org/

            Good field school directory and job postings, it's the best in the biz!

            Christopher P. Koch, Ph.D., R.P.A.

            709 McDonald Street, SE
            Atlanta, GA 30312
            404-759-5816

            ckoch@...
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/chriskoch

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
              Thanks, everyone, for all your replies. I apologize for not being around when they were sent in, but I'm grateful for the help in getting my student to the field school she wants. Yes, she's adamant about it being in the southwest, so here's hoping she can find something she can manage.

              Thanks, again,
              Deborah

              ckoch@...<mailto:ckoch%40mindspring.com>