field schools in 2011

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2010
      Hello, Everyone

      A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

      Deborah

    • Sydney Hart
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
        It's not in the Southwest, but there's a great fieldschool in Kampsville, IL.

        Sydney

        Sydney Hart, Ph.D.
        Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department
        Assistant Professor, Sociology, Anthropology, and Global Studies
        Wilbur Wright College
        4300 North Narragansett Avenue
        Chicago, Illinois 60634
        >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...> 10/02/10 8:52 PM >>>
        Hello, Everyone

        A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

        Deborah

      • Beverly Bennett
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
          Crow Canyon has a strong reputation, although I'm not personally familiar with them.  They seem to offer a variety of types of programs.

          Beverly

          A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

          Deborah

        • George Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
            In case a non-Summer field school is not out of the question, it seems the University of Arizona has a Spring semester field school.  The last I checked (2003 or so), they still had a fine Summer offering, but today's Google search came up surprisingly empty.  See the website at:
            http://anthropology.arizona.edu/content/spring_semester_archaeological-field_school

            George Thomas

            Re: field schools in 2011
                Posted by: "Beverly Bennett" bybennett@... bybennett
                Date: Sun Oct 3, 2010 12:21 am ((PDT))

            Crow Canyon has a strong reputation, although I'm not personally familiar with them.  They seem to offer a variety of types of programs.

            Beverly

            A student who did very well in my intro to archaeology course last spring has just asked me for help finding a summer archaeology field school in the American Southwest. She hasn't been more particular than that, so far as I know, it just has to be a program suitable for beginning students. I'm looking in the usual places for possibilities for her, but do any of you know of a southwestern field school which will be running next summer?

            Deborah

          • Chris Koch
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
              Try this site its great for the aspiring archaeologist.

              http://www.shovelbums.org/

              Good field school directory and job postings, it's the best in the biz!

              Christopher P. Koch, Ph.D., R.P.A.

              709 McDonald Street, SE
              Atlanta, GA 30312
              404-759-5816

              ckoch@...
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/chriskoch

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
                Thanks, everyone, for all your replies. I apologize for not being around when they were sent in, but I'm grateful for the help in getting my student to the field school she wants. Yes, she's adamant about it being in the southwest, so here's hoping she can find something she can manage.

                Thanks, again,
                Deborah

                ckoch@...<mailto:ckoch%40mindspring.com>