Coalition on the Academic Workforce Survey Opportunity!

  • katsharp66
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hello SACC Members-
      The following is a survey invitation from AAA and the Coalition on the Academic Workforce. PLEASE pass it along to all individuals who might be eligible to take the survey. I appreciate your assistance and hope to see many of you in NOLA.

      Kathleen Terry-Sharp
      Director, Academic Relations
      AAA

      Dear Colleague:
      The American Anthropological Association works with many different organizations and institutions to enrich and broaden the spectrum of resources that the Association can offer members. Its affiliation with the Coalition on the Academic Workforce (CAW) addresses issues of working conditions and their effect on college and university students in the United States. It is our hope that you will participate in this survey that will gather data critical to our work in AAA, the future of our Association, and the Association's context within higher education.
      AAA and CAW invite all members of the contingent academic workforce in U.S. colleges and universities to participate in this survey. The survey inquires about course assignments, salaries, benefits, and general working conditions as members of the contingent academic workforce experience them at the institutional level. We invite participation from all instructional and research staff members employed off the tenure track, including faculty members employed either full- or part-time, graduate students remunerated as teaching assistants or employed in other roles, and researchers and post-doctoral fellows.
      Most of the data on the working conditions of the contingent academic workforce—particularly data about salaries, benefits, and course assignments—exist in large data sets that have been aggregated and averaged at the national level. Consequently, the similarities and differences that contingent academic workers experience across different institutions and institutional sectors, geographic regions, and disciplines become obscured. This survey aims to examine salaries, benefits, course assignments, and general working conditions as contingent academic workers experience them at the institutional level. The survey will collect institution- and course-specific information to create a more textured and realistic picture of contingent academic workers' working lives and working conditions.
      It is our hope that sufficient numbers of respondents will complete this survey to permit developing a rich dataset that will help CAW and its member organizations advocate on behalf of professional compensation and working conditions for the contingent academic workforce. To that end we deeply appreciate the time and effort given by all who fill out this survey.
      Individuals who wish to be entered in a drawing for one of several $50 book gift cards may include contact information at the end of the questionnaire, but this information will not be used to connect survey data with specific persons.
      Please visit the following URL:
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VNNNRVS
      We hope you will fill out the questionnaire today, but if you cannot, please do so by November 30, 2010. Winners of the gift cards will be notified the following week. Thank you.
      Sincerely,

      Kathleen A. Terry-Sharp
      Director, Academic Relations

      The Coalition on the Academic Workforce
      Organized in 1997, CAW is a group of the 21 higher education associations, disciplinary associations, and faculty organizations listed below who are committed to addressing issues associated with deteriorating working conditions and their effect on college and university students in the United States. For more information about CAW, please visit www.academicworkforce.org.
      American Academy of Religion
      American Anthropological Association
      American Association of University Professors
      American Federation of Teachers
      American Historical Association
      American Philological Association
      American Philosophical Association
      American Political Science Association
      American Sociological Association
      American Studies Association
      Association of American Colleges and Universities
      College Art Association
      Community College Humanities Association
      Conference on College Composition and Communication
      Linguistic Society of America
      Modern Language Association
      National Council of Teachers of English
      Organization of American Historians
      Society of Biblical Literature
      Society for Cinema and Media Studies
      Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc.