Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
      I was going to say something similar. Nobody (?) views one-hour series as substitutes for full courses of study. While "early House" represented much of the basic diagnostic process more appropriately than they do today, even then the murkiness and rough spots found their ways to the cutting-room floor.  Now the whole storyline is jazzed up with soap opera emotionalism.  TV series formats lack the time and complexity required to satisfy all us elite professionals in whatever hoity-toity field!
      Which brings us back to both Bones and Betty White....... or.... not.
      :-) ----GT

      Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
          Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... kenthm52
          Date: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 pm ((PDT))

      probably has to do with it being just a one hour show and the need in our
      society for instant gratification...:-)
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2010
        Kathy Reichs is the real deal.  She has a Ph.D. from Northwestern.  She was a
        student of Jane Buikstra's and served as some sort of consultant for the Bones
        T.V. show in its early development.  She discussed it in an interview in the
        Northwestern alumni magazine a few years ago.  I had it posted on the bulletin
        board outside  my office until students drew a moustache and "other things" on
        her picture and I had to take it down.  *eye roll*.

        Pam

        ________________________________
> [...]

        > Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
        >    Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
        >    Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))
        >
        >  In a sense, it is like the other shows on TV --- medical, legal,
        > law-enforcement, and so on. It is of interest (IMHO) because of what it
        > says about how the popular culture perceives and responds to these
        > professions (and the people in them).
        >
        > It is certainly not because they are all great entertainment or high art!
        >
        > Anj
        >
        > On 28-Sep-10 08:47, Lynch, Brian M wrote:
        > >
        > > I've been reading these comments on the Betty White episode of
        > > Community, with only half attention. I am not generally interested in
        > > the show as I found the whole idea of it to reinforce all the stigma and
        > > stereotype that our students have to deal with in reality. It doesn't
        > > surprise me that it does the same for anthropologists.

        Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo! Groups
        Links