Fwd: AAUP Newsletter: Where are the teachers?

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2010
      Heads up! CC teachers. Jill Biden is calling you!

      On our campus, I could not count all the associate vice assistant
      interim deans!

      Anj

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2010
        Any updates on this event?

[...]

        You are currently subscribed to aaup as: ajpetto@...<mailto:ajpetto%40uwm.edu>. To
        unsubscribe, send a blank email to
        leave-5289334-5985606.a9576ae1b0ca4d87a526850d02572e39@...<mailto:leave-5289334-5985606.a9576ae1b0ca4d87a526850d02572e39%40lists.aaup.org> or
        hit reply and use "Unsubscribe non-member newsletter" as the subject line.

      • lauratgonzalez
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2010
          Ann, and others who are interested,

          Here is a summary of the White House Summit on CCs, as experienced by my CC district's chancellor.

          Laura (San Diego CC District)

          *********************

          October 7, 2010

          Chancellor's Message – White House Summit on Community Colleges

          Dear Colleagues and Friends:

          On Tuesday, October 5, I had the honor of being part of a truly historic event affecting our segment of higher education: the White House Summit on Community Colleges. In order to emphasize the role and importance of community colleges in addressing the challenges and problems of 21st century America, President Barack Obama lent the full attention of the Administration to a future agenda for the nation's two-year institutions in an unprecedented summit that brought together 150 people from across the nation for a daylong discussion.

          Three Californians were included in this summit: Dr. Helen Benjamin (Chancellor of the Contra Costa Community College District) Dr. Linda Thor (Chancellor of the Foothill-DeAnza Community College District), and me. Other attendees included community college presidents, association directors, faculty members, trustees, and students from community colleges throughout the nation. The group was both diverse and knowledgeable, representing varied interests and geographical regions. Everyone was, I think, exhilarated by the prospect of collaborating at this level of national involvement and everyone brought a positive and constructive spirit to our work together that day.

          The summit chair was Dr. Jill Biden, the wife of Vice President Joe Biden, who is a community college educator. President Obama opened the summit with a speech and called upon community colleges to assist the Administration in reaching a number of goals that are critical to America's economy, workforce development, and services to a diverse population. He indicated that the Administration viewed the summit as an important step in this regard, and that other partners in the process, such as foundations and the legislature, would be called upon to fund and support our progress together. The President's intention is to utilize community colleges in "the goal of having the best educated, most competitive workforce in the world by the end of the year 2020". . . especially since "nearly eight in ten new jobs will require higher education or workforce training."

          Dr. Biden summarized the support that would be provided in impressive terms. "In the coming months, we (the Administration) will announce the first $500 million of a $2 billion, four-year investment in community colleges authorized by Congress and signed into law on March 30th. This federal investment will support new state-of-the-art education, training and skills development programs to help Americans re-enter the job market." This investment also includes recent efforts to improve and expand federal financial aid for students.

          The opening plenary session was followed by six smaller breakout sessions, most of which were chaired by either Cabinet members or other prominent members of the Administration, focusing on the following topics:

          · Pathways to Baccalaureate – the role of community colleges in university transfer and in innovative practices resulting in the baccalaureate degree.

          · Increasing Community College Completion – this topic is part of the growing concern regarding student success and completion, including the metrics and support mechanisms necessary to track and ensure student completion.

          · Affordability: Financial Aid to Community College Students – this session explored the continuing effort to simplify the financial aid process and increase benefits.

          · Community Colleges in the 21st Century – this discussion involved future directions to ensure that community colleges address the learning and technology needs of the new century.

          · The Importance of Community Colleges to Veterans and Military Families – I attended this breakout session during which we discussed the broad range of programs that are provided by districts such as ours to serve both the active military and veteran students and their families. Our session was chaired by Admiral Michael Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and resulted in the identification of new directions and collaborative efforts that can be developed to meet the broad range of needs that were identified.

          · Industry-Community College Partnerships – this was a discussion group that recognized the importance of partnerships with business and industry in preparing the workforce.

          The summit ended with reports from the breakout sessions followed by a reception in the Blair House hosted by Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden. She reminded us at the end that she was a professor and that we now had homework to do. Personally, I welcome that prospect because too often meetings end without a sense of direction, with just memories of a wonderful time had by all. In this case, however, I realize that our work is just beginning as we follow up on the day's discussions and form working groups at our own institutions, states, and regions.

          The White House Summit on Community Colleges was truly a remarkable experience.

          Sincerely,

          Constance

          Dr. Constance M. Carroll
          Chancellor

          Link to the White House Summit on Community Colleges: http://www.whitehouse.gov/communitycollege
        • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2010
            I'd like to put three names forward as possible Five -Fields Presenters.
            I've included their Univ South Carolina websites. I asked Tom back when
            I was Immediate Past President, but I learned that you have to get to
            folks really early! -- Dianne

            Ann Kingsolver (cultural/applied?)

            http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/faculty/aekingso/kingsolver.html

            Thomas Leatherman (physical/applied?)

            http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/leathert/Leatherman.html

            Joanna Casey (archaeology/ethnoarchaeology)

            http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/Caseyj/cv.htm

          • Andrew Petto
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2010
              haven't heard of any, but I am on a 4-year campus, so CC stuff is hit or
              miss.

              ANj

              On 22-Oct-10 10:02, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

              > Any updates on this event?