Confessions of Dean blog

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29 10:41 AM
      I came across a blog today that I think others might find interesting since it deals with so many issues that we deal with on a day to day basis at our institutions. I read about it on the savageminds blog.

      It is called "Confessions of a Community College Dean" and can be found at suburbdad.blogspot.com. I was drawn to it to see what he had to say about the future of community colleges (Sept 17 post) but saw much more in other posts, about learning outcomes, scheduling, etc.

      Bob
    • mep1mep
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
        I have been a follower of his for some time.  Its a useful blog but sometimes he
        is a bit too anti-faculty for my tastes.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
          I have only browsed the “suburbdad” blog a little, but find the observation “sometimes he is a bit to anti-faculty” interesting. This semester I have assumed a role as Division Director of Liberal Arts and Sciences at our small college after nearly 17 years of full-time teaching. We are now reorganizing, with a new president (again, after 17 years) and a new Dean of Academics + Dean of Students (now a 2 person setup, after more than a dozen years as a single position). As a new administrator, but on the “academic side of the house,” I have once again begun to deal with dynamics that have periodically surfaced in my other work –particularly when I have played the role of learning assessment coordinator.

          As I’ve noted to teaching-colleagues before, sometimes we are our own worst audiences. When gathered with faculty in division meetings, or sessions about ___________ (fill in the blank) I have found “classroom management” to be a tougher issue at times than when I am in some of my newest/youngest classes. When working with colleagues to assist ourselves in some endeavor that calls us outside of our protected domains (“my” classroom, “my” teaching,” “my discipline” etc.), like course scheduling, or curriculum planning, or …..yes…. learning assessment, I am amazed at times how much work it is to get us to hear each other, to understand each other’s concerns, and to work effectively together to develop habits and processes beyond our “independent contractor” frames of reference. (…as some colleagues often put it, to “play nice together.”)

          As an anthropologist, it is quite a place to be, as a participant-observer in the midst of this teaching-learning community, to deal with long-term habits, self-perceptions, other-perceptions, and the larger picture of what is being accomplished as a result of it all. Often so much of what is happening is beyond the awareness of individual participants. Interesting place to be these days.

          Brian