Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2010
      So...remember some weeks back Dianne Chidester mentioned something about Betty White doing a guest spot as an anthropology professor on the NBC comedy 'Community' set in a community college.

      It turns out that in the season premier earlier this week one of the lead characters was carrying around the Physical Anthropology textbook by SACC's own Phil Stein and Bruce Rowe! Fabulous! Excellent product placement.

      I found that out on Facebook (via SACC'er Diane Levine).

      Bob
    • Philip Stein
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 25, 2010
        Bob,

        I think we've taken textbook marketing to a new level, although I won't say in what direction. Actually I learned about it from our bookstore manager, where they apparently purchased several copies of the book. After all Pierce College and "beautiful downtown Burbank" are just on different ends of the San Fernando Valley. I would like to think that this is recognition of the great job we did in presenting the material, but I really think it was the fact that the color scheme of the cover fit in very well with the color scheme of the set.

        I watch very little commerical TV, but I did sit through this episode on NBC.com (without commercials!!!), and I have to conclude that the program was just plain awful. I love Betty White, but I thought she was an unflattering parody of an anthropologist that probably set the image of anthropologists back several decades. However, I found the idea of controlling a class with darts from a blowgun to be very appealing.

        Phil

        So...remember some weeks back Dianne Chidester mentioned something about Betty White doing a guest spot as an anthropology professor on the NBC comedy 'Community' set in a community college.

        It turns out that in the season premier earlier this week one of the lead characters was carrying around the Physical Anthropology textbook by SACC's own Phil Stein and Bruce Rowe! Fabulous! Excellent product placement.

        I found that out on Facebook (via SACC'er Diane Levine).

      • George Thomas
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 26, 2010
          OK, I'll bite.  I just clicked on the link and watched the Anthro 101 episode.  I'm tempted to agree that Betty White's portrayal of an anthropology professor reflects how anthropology professors are marketed today, just as the text by Stein & Rowe was "marketed" onto the set of "Community" on the strength of the cover's color scheme.

          But I suspect it's the same kind of satirical take on community colleges that Stephen Colbert's "testimony" on Capitol Hill attempted as "public participation in government" on Sept. 24th. Most of the audience may not be ready to grasp all the cheap-shot one-liners and send-ups.  White's running gag (pun intended) about the mug of urine would have been hilarious in some other context, but given the state of public familiarity re. anthropology I'm afraid it fell flat. The result, unfortunately, may indeed "set the image of anthropologists back several decades."

          I will consider the blowgun approach to class participation seriously, though.....:-)
          gt

          Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
              Posted by: "Philip Stein" stein39@... phil3900
              Date: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:57 pm ((PDT))

          Bob,

[...]

        • Nina Brown
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 26, 2010
            Hello,

            I’m showing the “anthropology rap” from the end of the episode to my human
            evolution class on Monday to see what they think. I don’t see any harm in
            how anthropology was represented. How are anthropology professors “marketed”
            today anyway? All of my students think anthropology means archaeology to the
            extent they think of it at all… which is hardly ever. I don’t know how our
            image can be set back since at my CC anthropology does not have any image
            whatsoever.

            I think Betty White’s character taps into a conclusion, which strikes me
            actually as a realistic one, that people who devote their lives to adopting
            the customs of faraway cultures are basically odd. My students, who are
            training for highly practical careers as veterinary technicians and IT
            workers think the whole idea of anthropology is CRAZY. They still enjoy the
            classes and hopefully gain some useful knowledge, but really in the long
            list of things a person could do to earn a buck they view anthropology as
            one of the most impractical and overall weirdest options. I don't actually
            think this is a wrong assessment.

            Nina

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 26, 2010
              all the more reason we have to emphasize the applied aspects of our field...

              So...remember some weeks back Dianne Chidester mentioned something about
              Betty White doing a guest spot as an anthropology professor on the NBC
              comedy 'Community' set in a community college.

              It turns out that in the season premier earlier this week one of the lead
              characters was carrying around the Physical Anthropology textbook by SACC's
              own Phil Stein and Bruce Rowe! Fabulous! Excellent product placement.

              I found that out on Facebook (via SACC'er Diane Levine).

              Groups Links

              database 5481 (20100926) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5481 (20100926) __________

              http://www.eset.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 27, 2010
                Might be a fun piece of Anthropology News column, Lloyd.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 27, 2010
                  Betty White's Anthro 101 episode played to the "crazy" image of anthropology, and yes, they lacked any hint of practical, applied aspects.  It looks like I struck a nerve.  I've been biasing myself terribly in favor of such positivist things as intellectual honesty and "relevance" (there's also been that rash of material on plagiarism, the internet "marketing" of information etc.), so I was unprepared to view Betty White's star turn as an anthro professor with the mindset with which I got hooked on anthro as a young whippersnapper.

                  Actually the joking references, probably lost on 99% of any audience, could have been elaborated into teaching points with very little tweaking.  I suspect the writers overestimated the public awareness of urine-as-beverage (the gross-out effect was there; the contexts weren't), but there was some genius in their reference to invention synergy from a box of random primitive weaponry (including a rusty hammer).

                  As a whippersnapper I found myself influenced by masks, "exotic" art and implements on museum and basement craft room walls and the general weirdness of it all.  It's a shame more young people can't have similar experiences to fire the young imagination.

                  But I still think the yocks played to a dead house..:-)

                      Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... kenthm52

                  OK, I'll bite. I just clicked on the link and watched the Anthro 101
                  episode. I'm tempted to agree that Betty White's portrayal of an
                  anthropology professor reflects how anthropology professors are marketed
                  today, just as the text by Stein & Rowe was "marketed" onto the set of
                  "Community" on the strength of the cover's color scheme.

                  But I suspect it's the same kind of satirical take on community colleges that Stephen Colbert's "testimony" (re. immigration/migrant workers) on Capitol Hill attempted as "public participation in government" on Sept. 24th. Most of the audience may not be ready to grasp all the cheap-shot one-liners and send-ups. White's running gag (pun intended) about the mug of urine would have been hilarious in some other context, but given the state of public familiarity re. anthropology I'm afraid it fell flat. The result, unfortunately, may indeed "set the image of anthropologists back several decades."

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 27, 2010
                    Actually, I thought the assignment was rather creative --- probably
                    one of the writers had a decent anthro course somewhere along the way.
                    However, what was missing (not unexpectedly) was any sense of how to
                    integrate the experiences that these people had into an anthropological
                    context.

                    Anj

                    On 27-Sep-10 20:29, George Thomas wrote:

                    > Betty White's Anthro 101 episode played to the "crazy" image of
                    > anthropology, and yes, they lacked any hint of practical, applied
                    > aspects. It looks like I struck a nerve. I've been biasing myself
                    > terribly in favor of such positivist things as intellectual honesty
                    > and "relevance" (there's also been that rash of material on
                    > plagiarism, the internet "marketing" of information etc.), so I was
                    > unprepared to view Betty White's star turn as an anthro professor with
                    > the mindset with which I got hooked on anthro as a young whippersnapper.
                    >
                    > Actually the joking references, probably lost on 99% of any audience,
                    > could have been elaborated into teaching points with very little
                    > tweaking. I suspect the writers overestimated the public awareness of
                    > urine-as-beverage (the gross-out effect was there; the contexts
                    > weren't), but there was some genius in their reference to invention
                    > synergy from a box of random primitive weaponry (including a rusty
                    > hammer).
                    >
                    > As a whippersnapper I found myself influenced by masks, "exotic"
                    > art and implements on museum and basement craft room walls and the
                    > general weirdness of it all. It's a shame more young people can't
                    > have similar experiences to fire the young imagination.
                    >
                    > But I still think the yocks played to a dead house..:-)
                    > GT
                    >
                    > Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                    > Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@... <mailto:km52%40att.net> kenthm52
                    > Date: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 pm ((PDT))
                    >
                    > all the more reason we have to emphasize the applied aspects of our
                    > field...

                    -----------------------------
                    Andrew J Petto, PhD
                    Senior Lecturer
                    Department of Biological Sciences
                    University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                    PO Box 413
                    Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                    CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                    Telephone: 414-229-6784
                    FAX: 414-229-3926

                  • George Thomas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Pop culture, further "analized."
                      Doctors will often inform you that they haven't watched more than one or two episodes of House.  The public, on the other hand, has rewarded medical dramas and law enforcement series with exploding popularity for quite some time. Anybody have a sense of how Bones plays among forensic anthros? I get a strong sense from many such shows, Anthropology 101 ("Community") included, that trivialized reactions and dramatic situations off the supposed professional subject are what drive them.  At least the Betty White Anth101 episode managed to resemble some anthro classes a little bit.  In all, however, Hollywood's misrepresentations resemble journalism and the attempts to write fair representations of almost any professional effort, reducing everything to feature story format.  Blindness is often a requirement for leading the blind.

                      Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                          Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
                          Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))

                        In a sense, it is like the other shows on TV --- medical, legal,
                      law-enforcement, and so on. It is of interest (IMHO) because of what it
                      says about how the popular culture perceives and responds to these
                      professions (and the people in them).

                      It is certainly not because they are all great entertainment or high art!

                      Anj

                      -----------------------------

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                        George,

                        I don't know how the anthro community takes to Bones, but it's one of my favorite TV programs. What I like is the clever and often funny dialog among the characters, especially between Temperance and Booth. The plots are secondary to character development (not at all common in TV series) and the characters are "round" enough (in my opinion) that you don't really care about plot. Temperance Brennan, the forensic anthropologist, is absolutely delightful, and her characteristics and behavior are just slightly exaggerated--enough to be funny but not enough to be silly. And her partner, FBI agent Seeley Booth, is the perfect alpha male, all-American everyman character. I think the way they play off each other is brilliant, compared to most of the TV series I've watched.

                        I've read Kathy Reich's novels too and she seems to be either living or imagining an interesting life. Since they originate on the Fox channel, I don't know how popular they are, but the USA and TNT cable channels re-run them.

                        I like House too, though I've gotten a bit tired of the internal soap opera tendencies. Hugh Laurie is great, though, and certainly deserving of the accolades he receives.

                        (An aside: As a retiree, I've concluded that television does not rot our brains; we lied to our kids. I'm watching it more and enjoying it more.)

                        Lloyd

                      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 30, 2010
                          I have had a number of students who have become interested in forensics,
                          either anthropology or criminal, because of tv shows like "Bones". Some
                          of them aren't interested after they find out how much work it takes to
                          get be a forensic anthropologist (along with all those other classes
                          that they have to take that they hate), but some of them do go on to
                          take more anthropology.

                          I started an annual anthro guest lecture here and one of the highest
                          attended lectures was given by a forensic anthropologist.

                          I guess there's good and bad to everything.

                          --Dianne

                          Doctors will often inform you that they haven't watched more than one or
                          two episodes of House. The public, on the other hand, has rewarded
                          medical dramas and law enforcement series with exploding popularity for
                          quite some time. Anybody have a sense of how Bones plays among forensic
                          anthros? I get a strong sense from many such shows, Anthropology 101
                          ("Community") included, that trivialized reactions and dramatic
                          situations off the supposed professional subject are what drive them.
                          At least the Betty White Anth101 episode managed to resemble some anthro
                          classes a little bit. In all, however, Hollywood's misrepresentations
                          resemble journalism and the attempts to write fair representations of
                          almost any professional effort, reducing everything to feature story
                          format. Blindness is often a requirement for leading the blind.

                          Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                          Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... <mailto:ajpetto%40uwm.edu>
                          ajpetto
                          Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))

                          -----------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 30, 2010
                            Lloyd & others -- Obviously when I referred to doctors not watching House, I was really talking about ME not watching Bones.  I may try to find it more often, on your recommendation.  Heck, I'm half-retired.....
                            Re House, I caught it during its first season.  Back then there was very little soap, and a whole lot of fine stuff on diagnostic process etc.  It has deteriorated into suds, suds and more suds.  The dramatic potential for scientific method on-the-fly (or your patient will croak in ten minutes) is badly underrated.  By the way, your (Lloyd) impression of Chevy Chase's regular cameo in "Community," as it came across for "Anthro 101," is spot on.
                            This attention to TV dramas/how scientists are represented is surely an airing of thoughts on how to communicate with students, right?

                            Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                                Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                                Date: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm ((PDT))

                            George,

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 30, 2010
                              Actually, in my line of work in training future medical professions, I
                              wish they would NOT watch House. The staff there collects a little
                              history and then leaps to grand conclusions. They almost always nearly
                              kill the patient until House has a sudden inspiration and stops
                              everything in the last second --- instead of doing what a good
                              diagnostician should do collect more data and look at the "rough" spots
                              that mark the differential diagnosis murky.

                              Anj

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 30, 2010
                                probably has to do with it being just a one hour show and the need in our
                                society for instant gratification...:-)
> [...]
                                >> subject are what drive them. At least the Betty White Anth101 episode
                                >> managed to resemble some anthro classes a little bit. In all,
                                >> however, Hollywood's misrepresentations resemble journalism and the
                                >> attempts to write fair representations of almost any professional
                                >> effort, reducing everything to feature story format. Blindness is
                                >> often a requirement for leading the blind.
                                >> >
                                >> > Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                                >> > Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@...
                                >> <mailto:ajpetto%40uwm.edu> ajpetto
                                >> > Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))
                                >> >
                                >> > In a sense, it is like the other shows on TV --- medical, legal,
                                >> > law-enforcement, and so on. It is of interest (IMHO) because of what it
                                >> > says about how the popular culture perceives and responds to these
                                >> > professions (and the people in them).
                                >> >
                                >> > It is certainly not because they are all great entertainment or high

                                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5493 (20100930) __________

                                http://www.eset.com
                              • George Thomas
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
                                  I was going to say something similar. Nobody (?) views one-hour series as substitutes for full courses of study. While "early House" represented much of the basic diagnostic process more appropriately than they do today, even then the murkiness and rough spots found their ways to the cutting-room floor.  Now the whole storyline is jazzed up with soap opera emotionalism.  TV series formats lack the time and complexity required to satisfy all us elite professionals in whatever hoity-toity field!
                                  Which brings us back to both Bones and Betty White....... or.... not.

                                      Date: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 pm ((PDT))

> [...]
                                  >> subject are what drive them.  At least the Betty White Anth101 episode
                                  >> managed to resemble some anthro classes a little bit.  In all,
                                  >> however, Hollywood's misrepresentations resemble journalism and the
                                  >> attempts to write fair representations of almost any professional
                                  >> effort, reducing everything to feature story format.  Blindness is
                                  >> often a requirement for leading the blind.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                                  >> >     Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@...
                                  >> <mailto:ajpetto%40uwm.edu> ajpetto
                                  >> >     Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))
                                  >> >
                                  >> >   In a sense, it is like the other shows on TV --- medical, legal,
                                  >> > law-enforcement, and so on. It is of interest (IMHO) because of what it
                                  >> > says about how the popular culture perceives and responds to these
                                  >> > professions (and the people in them).
                                  >> >
                                  >> > It is certainly not because they are all great entertainment or high

                                • mep1mep
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 3, 2010
                                    Kathy Reichs is the real deal.  She has a Ph.D. from Northwestern.  She was a
                                    student of Jane Buikstra's and served as some sort of consultant for the Bones
                                    T.V. show in its early development.  She discussed it in an interview in the
                                    Northwestern alumni magazine a few years ago.  I had it posted on the bulletin
                                    board outside  my office until students drew a moustache and "other things" on
                                    her picture and I had to take it down.  *eye roll*.

                                    Pam

                                    ________________________________
> [...]

                                    > Re: Stein, Rowe, and Betty White.
                                    >    Posted by: "Andrew Petto" ajpetto@... ajpetto
                                    >    Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 am ((PDT))
                                    >
                                    >  In a sense, it is like the other shows on TV --- medical, legal,
                                    > law-enforcement, and so on. It is of interest (IMHO) because of what it
                                    > says about how the popular culture perceives and responds to these
                                    > professions (and the people in them).
                                    >
                                    > It is certainly not because they are all great entertainment or high art!
                                    >
                                    > Anj
                                    >
                                    > On 28-Sep-10 08:47, Lynch, Brian M wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I've been reading these comments on the Betty White episode of
                                    > > Community, with only half attention. I am not generally interested in
                                    > > the show as I found the whole idea of it to reinforce all the stigma and
                                    > > stereotype that our students have to deal with in reality. It doesn't
                                    > > surprise me that it does the same for anthropologists.

                                    Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo! Groups
                                    Links