Teach The World Online Haiti Project

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2010
      SACC-ers,

      This is an opportunity to teach via SKYPE, a very different type of Internet-based learning environment. I have been doing it for a month twice a week. I can see how this may be what most community college faculty (in a truly globalized world of higher ed) will be doing in 10-15 years.

      The TWOL-Haiti Project

      This is a message from Justin Purnell, Director of TWOL:

      Teach the World Online (TWOL) is seeking people with teaching skills (these can be college students, perhaps fulfilling a service learning requirement) to volunteer as teachers for the TWOL Haiti Project. TWOL has several ESL-based classes in Haiti in need of a good teacher. Knowledge of French or Kreyòl is not necessary. If you are able to volunteer 2-5 hours a week sometime between 9:00 am - 8:00 pm EST please contact Justin Purnell (contacts below) to discuss in further detail how you could help.

      This is one way to give to Haiti a most valuable commodity – your time and effort. It is essential that you have access to a computer with a web cam and SKYPE (a free program). Once you are on SKYPE contact Justin Purnell (he is in Asheville, NC when he is not in Haiti) to set up a SKYPE interview with your questions about the TWOL program.

      If everyone is agreeable TWOL will place you with a class in Haiti (in the vicinity of Port-au-Prince or Petionville) and provide easy-to-use lesson plans.

      This may well be one of your most rewarding hours of the day.

      Justin Purnell
      Director of Teach The World Online
      (828)551-3542
      Skype Name: Justin.Purnell
      email: justin@...
      Website: www.teachtheworldonline.org

      Regards,

      Anthony Balzano, PhD
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      1 College Hill Rd.
      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...