Re: Twitter again

  • tadmci
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10 9:04 AM
      Thanks Bob for the reminders and the request. I, too, would be interested in following other with anthropologically-inspired and teaching-related twitter feeds.

      Tad

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...> wrote:

      > Anybody else out there in SACC-land, or anyone else in their departments, using Twitter to provide links to news stories for anthropology students?
      >
      > I'm doing it (twitter.com/capilanoanthro) and Tad McIlwraith is doing it (twitter.com/douglasanthro), but don't know of any other SACC people doing it.
      >
      > I find Twitter a quite effective method to provide links to stories of interest in the courses I am teaching in any particular term. For example, this term (which just began this week in my part of the world), I am posting stories of interest to students in archaeology, biological anthropology, and Indigenous people of North America.
      >
      > Hardly any of my students will actually join Twitter and officially "follow". A recent study shows that people under 25 are reluctant to join Twitter. But they will go to the twitter site and read the articles I link to. They don't need to join to do that.
      >
      > I find using Twitter much easier than posting links to some kind of web platform (we use "Moodle" at Capilano).
      >
      > I also maintain a twitter account in my name (twitter.com/bobmuckle), with mostly the same content as the capilanoanthro site, (but the occasional extra link or comment that is not relevant to a current course I am teaching).
      >
      > I would like to know if anybody else is doing this for their classes, so that I could 'follow' your site, providing yet further links to anthropology stories for students, especially those outside of my teaching interests.
      >
      > Bob

    • Nikki Ives
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10 9:38 AM
        I use Twitter for my classes. I found few were willing to follow me so I created
        a widget that I embedded into my Blackboard course site and students can go
        there to see my latest tweets. Same as you, I use it to tweet
        anthropology-related articles on the web that I think my students might find
        interesting. My twitter site is: http://twitter.com/ANTHRONives

        -Nikki