Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don't comprehend....

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2010
      This gives me an (inadequate) idea -- The "facility" where I teach has that aforementioned inadequate library.  Why not survey what the library actually has, get some idea as to what topics might survive the use of that library in student "research", and assign tiny, structured papers not necessarily on topics in anthropology.  (The fact that it's sometimes hard to find a topic without anthropological relevance might be instructive).  Even in such a case I might find that there are barriers to use.  But the up-side would be some exposure to (1) get biblio from library, (2) organize ideas, (3) write, and (4) gain experience going through motions.
      Some discussion at SACC-Fests on ways to structure written assignments could be interesting.
      On the other hand, as someone pointed out earlier, much of what students need was failed them in early elementary school/middle school.
      There have been a few students who appeared to have genuine interest, potential, and even a writing background, so it's not unheard-of for me to stay in this position for a while.  A while longer will lead me to conclude whether this position and its experimental (?) potential is worth it to me.  Soon... perhaps an application or two....  I could find that my grasp of modern research materials has atrophied.  Computers of course, library facilities, and sometimes even appropriate anthro movies have been nixed.
      Oh well........:-)
      Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don'tcomprehend....
          Posted by: "Dianne C" dianneky@... metkalmetkal
          Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 2:55 pm ((PDT))

      One of my colleagues gave an interesting assignment.  They had to choose a topic from the text, then choose a reference to research.  They had to start with the bibliography of the textbook; find the article, journal, whatever; read the article; and write a brief summary of the article and compare their summary to what was in the text.  She said it went well but that the librarians asked for warning the next time.  A lot of the students ended up in the library asking for help in searching for the article.  (credit to Dr. Elizabeth Purcell)

      --Dianne Chidester