FW: 4/8/99 Daily Report from ACADEME TODAY
- -----Original Message-----
From: daily@... <mailto:daily@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 8:00 AM
To: daily@... <mailto:daily@...>
Subject: 4/8/99 Daily Report from ACADEME TODAY
Academe Today's DAILY REPORT
for subscribers of The Chronicle of Higher Education
Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education for Thursday,
* COMMUNITY-COLLEGE OFFICIALS who were meeting here Wednesday looked
into their crystal ball to determine how to position their institutions
today to gain the maximum advantage 10 years from now. They advocated more
involvement in their communities, a greater focus on the skills achieved by
their students, and more aggressive lobbying for increasingly scarce public
* SPRING COMMENCEMENT SPEAKERS have been announced by DePauw, Moorhead
State, Pacific, and Virginia Commonwealth Universities; Franklin Pierce and
Westminster Choir Colleges;
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; the State University of New York
at Oswego; and the University of Evansville.
* > FOR MORE ON THOSE STORIES, go to The Chronicle's
World-Wide Web site http://chronicle.com
* IN HOPES of getting more colleges to buy Microsoft software for
everyone on campus, Microsoft officials this week revised the company's
controversial "Campus Agreement" pricing plan.
* DISTANCE-EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY promises to expand access to learning,
but it also has the potential to exclude some students, according to a
report released Wednesday by the College Board.
* > FOR MORE, go to http://chronicle.com/infotech
ALSO ON THE CHRONICLE'S WORLD-WIDE WEB SITE
NEW GRANT COMPETITIONS: Grants to support research on food safety.
COMMUNITY-COLLEGE NEWS AND JOBS: Don't forget to check out our new
community-college news and jobs pages. And if you want to stay up to date on
community colleges, you can sign up for our new weekly e-mail service.
You'll find the community-college page, with links to the jobs and the
e-mail sign-up at:
You may visit Academe Today as follows:
* via the World-Wide Web, at http://chronicle.com
* via telnet at chronicle.com
For information, send a message to help-today@...
Copyright � 1999 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.