Re: [SACC-L] Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don'tcomprehend....

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6 11:54 AM
      In addition, a rhetorical analysis is a powerful tool, because it
      emphasizes paying critical attention to the context of the information
      -- who publishes it, for whom, what (if any) is the mission of the
      publication or its sponsoring organization, how is the material
      organized, presented, verified, and so on.

      This source is not bad:
      http://www.writingcentre.ubc.ca/workshop/tools/rhet1.htm

      Anj

      On 2010-08-06 11:28, Deborah Shepherd wrote:
      > Creating a bibliography a really good assignment in lieu of a term paper.
      >
      > Being critical about sources is a hard concept for some of my students. Or else, if the topic offends their religious beliefs in any way, they want to reject every source that doesn't agree with their views.
      >
      > I always tell my students that when doing research, finding your bibliography and using it is more than half the work. For me, it's at least 80% of the work. Once you know what you will be writing about, the writing is the easy part. Writing is only hard when you don't know what you want to communicate. I see many shocked faces when I say such things. :)
      >

      > ________________________________

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
      fax: 414.229.3926
      ajpetto@...
      http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

      *************
      *************

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides
    • Dianne C
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6 2:55 PM
        One of my colleagues gave an interesting assignment. They had to choose a topic from the text, then choose a reference to research. They had to start with the bibliography of the textbook; find the article, journal, whatever; read the article; and write a brief summary of the article and compare their summary to what was in the text. She said it went well but that the librarians asked for warning the next time. A lot of the students ended up in the library asking for help in searching for the article. (credit to Dr. Elizabeth Purcell)

        --Dianne Chidester

      • George Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7 10:49 AM
          No, the Times article didn't note any stats re. any actual increase in plagiarism; but it was on the mark re. how we seem to be viewing student attitudes.  And Bob, your "if we don't teach them, who will," reflects the old, old 2005 quote from an advocate of anthropological participation in the "Human Terrain Systems" program: ...... paraphrased, "if we don't participate, there will be participation by the kinds of people who make us want to tear our hair out...." (Anna Simons, in an NPR interview).  I'm wondering if "HTS" is in any way analogous to honesty in written scholarship.  To most of us it's a "duh" matter, but my cerebral jury is dealing with blown circuitry on such issues at the moment, and is "out."....:-)
          There has "always" been a chasm between the few truly inspired, honest, enthusiastic students and the vast majority whose goal is the credits and the sheepskin (now electronic). I let the classes know up front that I will NOTICE identical wording on written assignments.... and then I receive identical wording on written assignments.  So the attitude as we've been discussing it is definitely real.  They've been forewarned, and are penalized one way or another.  Post mortems (mortii?) are difficult when such things happen on a final exam.
          The identical short-answer section on the July final was a simple one-page section worth 20 percent.  It was easy to spot identical wording, and the students supposedly knew it.  I was heartened to notice that not all the "honest" students were registering "good grades" -- a detail that suggests to me that there were honest efforts falling short.  (Normalcy).  The genuine "A" grades appear to have gone to deserving individuals.  An alternative to preparing different written assignments each time might be absolute openness about the identical test page, and frank reminders that identical wording will be severely penalized.  It's easy to spot.  For those who still choose to ignore it, tough.
          A colleague tells me I work too hard on this, but with this SACC-L exchange I see I'm in good company.  With no access to good research materials and facilities, no computer access, and draconian copyright laws making handouts a big project, I sort of laughingly present the two course texts (one's a reader) as their mini-practice-library.  Clearly I am yet another source of some of the student cynicism.
          Meanwhile, maybe all we can do is keep doing what we are doing and wait for some clear and obvious change in the gigantic culture of scholarly integrity that has held the knowledge biz together (incl. baling wire, duct tape) since the ....uh..."Enlightenment."  I can't imagine how a change away from scholarly honesty can be for the better, but then we come back to the fact that it's still a very few who excel.
          We lack statistics to back up our handwringing, unpleasant as it seems.
          George

          Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don'tcomprehend....
              Posted by: "mep1mep" mep1mep@... pmaack
              Date: Thu Aug 5, 2010 1:03 pm ((PDT))

          A careful reading of the article doesn't really argue for an increase in
          plagiarism just a different cultural context by which students make citation
          decisions. The problem seems to be that a number of students do get the message
          about plagiarism--note the student who says just that as the end of the piece.
          I suspect that some students do know appropriate citation standards, some don't,
          and some use ignorance as an excuse when they are caught.  I worry that the
          latter category are likely to increase if we become too "understanding" of this
          message of "things are different now".

          I know that our English Comp teachers are struggling at my school.  So much time
          is spent in High School preparing them for standardized tests, they don't learn
          the research paper process as they formerly did.  Our Comp teachers have had to
          break down paper-writing into stages to get them more comfortable with the
          process.  Each of them that I know has one full lecture on plagiarism.  I have
          worked with some of them at our Dual Credit workshops and we prepare those
          students with plagiarism presentations.  I, always, try to support their efforts
          by arguing for smaller class sizes for Comp if the issue ever arises.  I am
          willing to teach more students in my classes if I know they are getting good
          English prep.  More and more, though, administrators don't seek faculty input.
          Ours are particularly bad at seeking linkages with us and it is much to the
          deteriment of students.

          As our school gets bigger and bigger, I find that its harder to teach students
          when I can't tell what they are getting in other classes.  I know that one of
          our Sociology Profs tells students that she "doesn't believe in evolution".  Its
          a problem when the responsibility for teaching them falls dispportionately on
          one Profs back.  In the past, teaching was far easier when I felt more part of a
          coherent team each shouldering certain responsibilities.  Maybe just my
          issues........

          Pam

          Pam