RE: [SACC-L] Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don'tcomprehend....

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
      If we don't teach them, who will?

      Bob

      >>> Deborah Shepherd <deborah.shepherd@...> 08/05/10 11:36
      AM >>>
      I find that it is no longer possible to assign term papers, and I do
      change up my essay questions on tests every year.

      I think part of the problem is that K-12 teachers no longer have the
      time allotted in their curriculum to teach the early stages of research,
      assimilation of ideas, and original writing. By the time the student
      gets to college, the whole concept is way too intimidating for some of
      them. They will spend more time and even money attempting to cheat than
      make the effort to do their own work because they are afraid of
      attempting the process. Perhaps they are even convinced by this time
      that they can't do it.

      Deborah
      ________________________________
      Date: Tue Aug 3, 2010 8:59 pm ((PDT))

      Do you think that plagiarism is more common today than it was in the
      past,
      and if so, do you think that universities will soon give in to
      re-writing
      regulations re plagiarism in favor of this new digital age we live in?
      New York Times, August 1, 2010

      Plagiarism Lines BluAt Rhode Island College, a freshman copied and pasted from a Web site’s
      frequently asked questions page about homelessness — and did not think
      he
      needed to credit a source in his assignment because the page did not
      include
      author information.

      At DePaul University, the tip-off to one student’s copying was the
      purple
      shade of several paragraphs he had lifted from the Web; when confronted
      by a
      writing tutor his professor had sent him to, he was not defensive — he
      just
      wanted to know how to change purple text to black.
      And at the University of Maryland, a student reprimanded for copying
      from
      Wikipedia in a paper on the Great Depression said he thought its entries

      unsigned and collectively written — did not need to be credited since
      they
      counted, essentially, as common knowledge.
      Professors used to deal with plagiarism by admonishing students to give
      credit to others and to follow the style guide for citations, and pretty
      much left it at that.
      But these cases — typical ones, according to writing tutors and
      officials
      responsible for discipline at the three schools who described the
      plagiarism — suggest that many students simply do not grasp that using
      words
      they did not write is a serious misdeed.
      It is a disconnect that is growing in the Internet age as concepts of
      intellectual property, copyright and originality are under assault in
      the
      unbridled exchange of online information, say educators who study
      plagiarism.
      Digital technology makes copying and pasting easy, of course. But that
      is
      the least of it. The Internet may also be redefining how students — who
      came
      of age with music file-sharing, Wikipedia and Web-linking — understand
      the
      concept of authorship and the singularity of any text or image.
      “Now we have a whole generation of students who’ve grown up with
      information
      that just seems to be hanging out there in cyberspace and doesn’t seem
      have an author,” said Teresa Fishman, director of the Center for
      Academic
      Integrity at Clemson University. “It’s possible to believe this
      information
      is just out there for anyone to take.”
      Professors who have studied plagiarism do not try to excuse it — many
      are
      champions of academic honesty on their campuses — but rather try to
      understand why it is so widespread.
      In surveys from 2006 to 2010 by Donald L. McCabe, a co-founder of the
      Center
      for Academic Integrity and a business professor at Rutgers University,
      about
      40 percent of 14,000 undergraduates admitted to copying a few sentences
      in
      written assignments.
      Perhaps more significant, the number who believed that copying from the
      Web
      constitutes “serious cheating” is declining — to 29 percent on average
      in
      recent surveys from 34 percent earlier in the decade.
      Sarah Brookover, a senior at the Rutgers campus in Camden, N.J., said
      many
      of her classmates blithely cut and paste without attribution.
      “This generation has always existed in a world where media and
      intellectual
      property don’t have the same gravity,” said Ms. Brookover, who at 31 is
      older than most undergraduates. “When you’re sitting at your computer,
      it’s
      the same machine you’ve downloaded music with, possibly illegally, the
      same
      machine you streamed videos for free that showed on HBO last night.”
      Ms. Brookover, who works at the campus library, has pondered the
      differences
      between researching in the stacks and online. “Because you’re not
      walking
      into a library, you’re not physically holding the article, which takes
      you
      closer to ‘this doesn’t belong to me,’ ” she said. Online, “everything
      can
      belong to you really easily.”
      A University of Notre Dame anthropologist, Susan D. Blum, disturbed by
      the
      high rates of reported plagiarism, set out to understand how students
      view
      authorship and the written word, or “texts” in Ms. Blum’s academic
      language.
      She conducted her ethnographic research among 234 Notre Dame
      undergraduates.
      “Today’s students stand at the crossroads of a new way of conceiving
      tand the people who create them and who quote them,” she wrote last year
      in
      the book “My Word!: Plagiarism and College Culture,” published by
      Cornell
      University Press.
      Ms. Blum argued that student writing exhibits some of the same qualities
      of
      pastiche that drive other creative endeavors today — TV shows that
      constantly reference other shows or rap music that samples from earlier
      songs.
      In an interview, she said the idea of an author whose singular effort
      creates an original work is rooted in Enlightenment ideas of the
      individual.
      It is buttressed by the Western concept of intellectual property rights
      as
      secured by copyright law. But both traditions are being challenged.
      “Our notion of authorship and originality was born, it flourished, and
      it
      may be waning,” Ms. Blum said.
      She contends that undergraduates are less interested in cultivating a
      unique
      and authentic identity — as their 1960s counterparts were — than in
      trying
      on many different personas, which the Web enables with social
      networking.
      “If you are not so worried about presenting yourself as absolutely
      unique,
      then it’s O.K. if you say other people’s words, it’s O.K. if you say
      things
      you don’t believe, it’s O.K. if you write papers you couldn’t care less
      about because they accomplish the task, which is turning something in
      and
      getting a grade,” Ms. Blum said, voicing student attitudes. “And it’s
      O.K.
      if you put words out there without getting any credit.”
      The notion that there might be a new model young person, who freely
      borrows
      from the vortex of information to mash up a new creative work, fueled a
      brief brouhaha earlier this year with Helene Hegemann, a German teenager
      whose best-selling novel about Berlin club life turned out to include
      passages lifted from others.
      Instead of offering an abject apology, Ms. Hegemann insisted, “There’s
      no
      such thing as originality anyway, just authenticity.” A few critics rose
      her defense, and the book remained a finalist for a fiction prize (but
      did
      not win).
      That theory does not wash with Sarah Wilensky, a senior at Indiana
      University, who said that relaxing plagiarism standards “does not foster
      creativity, it fosters laziness.”
      “You’re not coming up with new ideas if you’re grabbing and mixing and
      matching,” said Ms. Wilensky, who took aim at Ms. Hegemann in a column
      in
      her student newspaper headlined “Generation Plagiarism.”
      “It may be increasingly accepted, but there are still plenty of creative
      people — authors and artists and scholars — who are doing original work,”
      Ms. Wilensky said in an interview. “It’s kind of an insult that that
      ideal
      is gone, and now we’re left only to make collages of the work of
      previous
      generations.”
      In the view of Ms. Wilensky, whose writing skills earned her the role of
      informal editor of other students’ papers in her freshman dorm,
      plagiarism
      has nothing to do with trendy academic theories.
      The main reason it occurs, she said, is because students leave high
      school
      unprepared for the intellectual rigors of college writing.
      “If you’re taught how to closely read sources and synthesize them into
      your
      own original argument in middle and high school, you’re not going to be
      tempted to plagiarize in college, and you certainly won’t do so
      unknowingly,” she said.
      At the University of California, Davis, of the 196 plagiarism cases
      referred
      to the disciplinary office last year, a majority did not involve
      students
      ignorant of the need to credit the writing of others.
      Many times, said Donald J. Dudley, who oversees the discipline office on
      the
      campus of 32,000, it was students who intentionally copied — knowing it
      was
      wrong — who were “unwilling to engage the writing process.”
      “Writing is difficult, and doing it well takes time and practice,” he
      said.
      And then there was a case that had nothing to do with a younger
      generation’s
      evolving view of authorship. A student accused of plagiarism came to Mr.
      Dudley’s office with her parents, and the father admitted that he was
      the
      one responsible for the plagiarism. The wife assured Mr. Dudley that it
      would not happen again.

      Groups Links

      signature
      database 5338 (20100803) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      signature database 5344 (20100805) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      Groups Links
    • mep1mep
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
        A careful reading of the article doesn't really argue for an increase in
        plagiarism just a different cultural context by which students make citation
        decisions. The problem seems to be that a number of students do get the message
        about plagiarism--note the student who says just that as the end of the piece.
        I suspect that some students do know appropriate citation standards, some don't,
        and some use ignorance as an excuse when they are caught.  I worry that the
        latter category are likely to increase if we become too "understanding" of this
        message of "things are different now".

        I know that our English Comp teachers are struggling at my school.  So much time
        is spent in High School preparing them for standardized tests, they don't learn
        the research paper process as they formerly did.  Our Comp teachers have had to
        break down paper-writing into stages to get them more comfortable with the
        process.  Each of them that I know has one full lecture on plagiarism.  I have
        worked with some of them at our Dual Credit workshops and we prepare those
        students with plagiarism presentations.  I, always, try to support their efforts
        by arguing for smaller class sizes for Comp if the issue ever arises.  I am
        willing to teach more students in my classes if I know they are getting good
        English prep.  More and more, though, administrators don't seek faculty input.
        Ours are particularly bad at seeking linkages with us and it is much to the
        deteriment of students.

        As our school gets bigger and bigger, I find that its harder to teach students
        when I can't tell what they are getting in other classes.  I know that one of
        our Sociology Profs tells students that she "doesn't believe in evolution".  Its
        a problem when the responsibility for teaching them falls dispportionately on
        one Profs back.  In the past, teaching was far easier when I felt more part of a
        coherent team each shouldering certain responsibilities.  Maybe just my
        issues........

        Pam

        Pam

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
          I think standard term papers are over-rated unless someone is planning on going to graduate school. Some students can write them already, but others simply don't know where to begin. I like to create more intricate though regimented assignments, still involving some research, where students know from the outset that there is nothing out there that they can copy or buy which will earn them any points. What I assign teaches them, I hope and intend, how to begin. Those students who do know how to do it still get a meaningful assignment. The others are ready for the next step and might even write a term paper of their own down the road. At least, I don't find nearly as many attempts at cheating as I used to find.

          Deborah

          ________________________________

          Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@...<mailto:km52%40att.net><mailto:km52%40att.net> kenthm52

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
            I also assign very structured papers that cannot simply be purchased or "borrowed" from a fellow student. In my honors class I have the students select a topic randomly and produce an annotated bibliography and a short abstract. The focus is on research skills and an introduction to the anthropology literature. The major challenge is to show them that there is a lot of cr*p on the Internet. I try to teach them how to distinguish good from bad information. They seem to feel that if it is on the Internet or published in a book is must be good information.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
              Creating a bibliography a really good assignment in lieu of a term paper.

              Being critical about sources is a hard concept for some of my students. Or else, if the topic offends their religious beliefs in any way, they want to reject every source that doesn't agree with their views.

              I always tell my students that when doing research, finding your bibliography and using it is more than half the work. For me, it's at least 80% of the work. Once you know what you will be writing about, the writing is the easy part. Writing is only hard when you don't know what you want to communicate. I see many shocked faces when I say such things. :)

              ________________________________

              Posted by: "Kent Morris" km52@...<mailto:km52%40att.net><mailto:km52%40att.net><mailto:km52%40att.net> kenthm52

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
                In addition, a rhetorical analysis is a powerful tool, because it
                emphasizes paying critical attention to the context of the information
                -- who publishes it, for whom, what (if any) is the mission of the
                publication or its sponsoring organization, how is the material
                organized, presented, verified, and so on.

                This source is not bad:
                http://www.writingcentre.ubc.ca/workshop/tools/rhet1.htm

                Anj

                On 2010-08-06 11:28, Deborah Shepherd wrote:
                > Creating a bibliography a really good assignment in lieu of a term paper.
                >
                > Being critical about sources is a hard concept for some of my students. Or else, if the topic offends their religious beliefs in any way, they want to reject every source that doesn't agree with their views.
                >
                > I always tell my students that when doing research, finding your bibliography and using it is more than half the work. For me, it's at least 80% of the work. Once you know what you will be writing about, the writing is the easy part. Writing is only hard when you don't know what you want to communicate. I see many shocked faces when I say such things. :)
                >

                > ________________________________

                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer
                Department of Biological Sciences
                University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
                PO Box 413
                Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                CapTel: 877.243.2823 (then enter: 414.229.6784)
                fax: 414.229.3926
                ajpetto@...
                http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/Docs/Faculty/ajpetto.html

                *************
                *************

                -- Pat Conroy
                The Prince of Tides
              • Dianne C
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
                  One of my colleagues gave an interesting assignment. They had to choose a topic from the text, then choose a reference to research. They had to start with the bibliography of the textbook; find the article, journal, whatever; read the article; and write a brief summary of the article and compare their summary to what was in the text. She said it went well but that the librarians asked for warning the next time. A lot of the students ended up in the library asking for help in searching for the article. (credit to Dr. Elizabeth Purcell)

                  --Dianne Chidester

                • George Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
                    No, the Times article didn't note any stats re. any actual increase in plagiarism; but it was on the mark re. how we seem to be viewing student attitudes.  And Bob, your "if we don't teach them, who will," reflects the old, old 2005 quote from an advocate of anthropological participation in the "Human Terrain Systems" program: ...... paraphrased, "if we don't participate, there will be participation by the kinds of people who make us want to tear our hair out...." (Anna Simons, in an NPR interview).  I'm wondering if "HTS" is in any way analogous to honesty in written scholarship.  To most of us it's a "duh" matter, but my cerebral jury is dealing with blown circuitry on such issues at the moment, and is "out."....:-)
                    There has "always" been a chasm between the few truly inspired, honest, enthusiastic students and the vast majority whose goal is the credits and the sheepskin (now electronic). I let the classes know up front that I will NOTICE identical wording on written assignments.... and then I receive identical wording on written assignments.  So the attitude as we've been discussing it is definitely real.  They've been forewarned, and are penalized one way or another.  Post mortems (mortii?) are difficult when such things happen on a final exam.
                    The identical short-answer section on the July final was a simple one-page section worth 20 percent.  It was easy to spot identical wording, and the students supposedly knew it.  I was heartened to notice that not all the "honest" students were registering "good grades" -- a detail that suggests to me that there were honest efforts falling short.  (Normalcy).  The genuine "A" grades appear to have gone to deserving individuals.  An alternative to preparing different written assignments each time might be absolute openness about the identical test page, and frank reminders that identical wording will be severely penalized.  It's easy to spot.  For those who still choose to ignore it, tough.
                    A colleague tells me I work too hard on this, but with this SACC-L exchange I see I'm in good company.  With no access to good research materials and facilities, no computer access, and draconian copyright laws making handouts a big project, I sort of laughingly present the two course texts (one's a reader) as their mini-practice-library.  Clearly I am yet another source of some of the student cynicism.
                    Meanwhile, maybe all we can do is keep doing what we are doing and wait for some clear and obvious change in the gigantic culture of scholarly integrity that has held the knowledge biz together (incl. baling wire, duct tape) since the ....uh..."Enlightenment."  I can't imagine how a change away from scholarly honesty can be for the better, but then we come back to the fact that it's still a very few who excel.
                    We lack statistics to back up our handwringing, unpleasant as it seems.
                    George

                    Re: Plagiarism (Again)-Some students simply don'tcomprehend....
                        Posted by: "mep1mep" mep1mep@... pmaack