Re. the Hunt Hunt & mild teaching point.

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4 10:23 AM
      And whether this use of the anthropologist's name was intentional seems to be up in the air as well.  Dr. H. hinted that someone at American Thinker (?) made a quick Google search, found the anthropolgist, and pasted in the bio.  Author ID accuracy went the way of fact-checking here.  In any case it seems Dr. H. is satisfied no one HERE circulated the article or acted out of some kind of malice.  Grasping at possible positive notes, it seems Dr. H. was aware of the existence of SACC.  Also I like the mental picture I get from the earlier post -- re. if the interstate Hwy system were organized like the Net, we could each designate our driveways as numbered routes.
      gt

      1a. Re: Fw: Re: American Thinker/Teaching Point
          Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
          Date: Sat Jul 3, 2010 7:06 am ((PDT))

      George, I seem to remember a similar instance some time ago where someone wrote an extreme, right-wing diatribe on a topic and (allegedly) had the same name as a legitimate scientist, except for the middle initial (can't remember the name). The scientist weighed in to clarify the issue and the author turned out to be a "business executive" who contributed regularly to some right-wing publication. It wasn't clear whether the mixup was accidental or whether the author was intentionally trading on the scientist's name.
      Lloyd

      On Jul 2, 2010, at 4:38 PM, George Thomas wrote:

      > The G. Hunt situation has blown over. I assure all SACC-L subscribers that I, too, followed up on this rather-to-be-expected blogosphere website brouhaha, and Dr. Hunt himself was all over it.  My only concern was to see if any SACC-ers knew whether or not this political diatribe was associated with some fictitious Geoffrey Hunt, and why someone would attribute such a piece to an anthropologist.  Glad to see I was right.  The article was not something I would have circulated.  And clearly the recent posts re. anthropologists' misunderstanding of the public (a mutual thing), and racism in public discourse (Des Moines) are related.
      > The most accurate statement I've heard, coming from a fellow anthropologist re. this topic, and as a starting point to understanding "the public" and "the poisonous political climate," just might be: "It's all politics."
      > We can ignore my question about a possible round-table discussion on blogosphere mazes in which crucial information and details get lost..... or...... not.
      > George

    • mep1mep
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4 10:35 AM
        If we are going to use that analogy then we should complete it:  we COULD
        designate our driveways but how long before we were forced to correct that by
        some public reaction?  That is what happened, after all...and in short order.

        Pam

            Date: Sat Jul 3, 2010 7:06 am ((PDT))

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5 9:12 AM
          And the first person to enter my driveway thinking it was Interstate 80 would complain loudly that it needed re-paving (damn)! The public reaction would indeed be quick and in short order.

          Lloyd